Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Brief thoughts on a national sales tax...

The most unfair tax on the poorest citizens imaginable.

A loaf of bread is taxed the same to the richest and the poorest.

Enough said on that. The example is the same as clothing, furniture, automobiles....you name it.
Initially, the govt will exempt some things from the NST, i.e. food, medical services, and make the people feel like they are truly "helping." WAKE UP PEOPLE.

If the people are to be taxed, it must be something compulsory that is in a constant, steady pool. The people SPENDING (and therfore taxed) doesnt give you a compulsory source. The people can choose to spend or not. In times of recession, the people do not spend. Ask the automobile industry and you will hear that sales of used vehicles go way up during recession while sales of new vehicles fall. That equals less revenue. A NST would is not recession proof, infact, could easily exacerbate a recession into depression proportions, quickly.

With a flat rate income tax, the govt would be under the compulsion to create a growth environment and stay out of the way. Govt is constantly looking for new revenue sources, and with the flat tax (no deductions) in place, a growing economy will ensure more govt revenue. That will, infact, be the only way for the govt to get spending increases. It could be a surefire citizens check on its government.

In a capitalist economy, you had better hope you have rich people.

The struggles would be on those that could not help themselves. The retarded as someone mentioned earlier, as an example. It is sad, no doubt, and this will sound mean, but they are not my responsiblity as a whole. Individually, someone of my family would be, and I would have to see to them. A friend of mine that may have a retarded child or downs baby, I would feel to help them. But on the whole, as a govt program, I feel no responsiblity.

We tend to sell America short. I have no doubt the American people would step up as we always have, to help our neighbor. And we would. Volunteer organizations would spring up to offer help. Before welfare, what do you think happened? Neighbor helped neighbor, and the churches played a far larger role which was reduced by govt involvement through the 1960's.

Those less fortunante are an individual responsibility, not a govt one.

We might need a flat rate income tax for better reasons that are truly American.

Which brings the argument full circle from my point of view. No wonder Washington can't get anything done. No one is sending us money and we still chase the tiger.

Kathianne,

Why send education Texas dollars to Washington so they can send you 63 cents back on every dollar? I am sure Texas could administer those dollars much better than the 63 cents you recieve back and only 63 cents if you do the bidding of Washingtoin by way of federal mandates?

Imagine the raises you could give your teachers for the 37 cent balance that Washington is keeping.

Why send gasoline tax money to Washington so they can tell you in order to recieve your "portion" back, you must put in HOV lanes or some other foolish mandate. In TN we receive back 67 cents on the gasoline taxes we send to Washington.

I love the independent attitude of Texas. I wish she would lead this effort, up to the point of succession. I would support you from here!

Originally posted by boss13
Kathianne,

Why send education Texas dollars to Washington so they can send you 63 cents back on every dollar? I am sure Texas could administer those dollars much better than the 63 cents you recieve back and only 63 cents if you do the bidding of Washingtoin by way of federal mandates?

Imagine the raises you could give your teachers for the 37 cent balance that Washington is keeping.

Why send gasoline tax money to Washington so they can tell you in order to recieve your "portion" back, you must put in HOV lanes or some other foolish mandate. In TN we receive back 67 cents on the gasoline taxes we send to Washington.

I love the independent attitude of Texas. I wish she would lead this effort, up to the point of succession. I would support you from here!

Your point here is a good one, and I totally agree. Our government today has got it's proverbial FINGERS in every single penny we make. And so many of the ways they have of TAKING our money, are buried so damn deep, it's all but impossible to find them all. That's why there's only ONE good solution to the cluster fuck they call the IRS today, and that's to SCRAP the whole damn thing and start from scratch... with a flat tax.

And I don't give ANYONE a pass on our screwed up tax code. The Republicans are just as guilty of money mongering as the democraps are.

Originally posted by Pale Rider
Your point here is a good one, and I totally agree. Our government today has got it's proverbial FINGERS in every single penny we make. And so many of the ways they have of TAKING our money, are buried so damn deep, it's all but impossible to find them all. That's why there's only ONE good solution to the cluster fuck they call the IRS today, and that's to SCRAP the whole damn thing and start from scratch... with a flat tax.

And I don't give ANYONE a pass on our screwed up tax code. The Republicans are just as guilty of money mongering as the democraps are.

I hadn't seen the one you were quoting. However, I agree with both of you. Education should be primarily local function, with no federal interference-with the caveat of something like integration, which currently is pretty moot.

Forum List

Back