• Undecided

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I'm just a little bit more than curious how many people here would support a FLAT TAX in America.

Please explain how and why you voted as you did.

For the middle class, it would be more fair. It kills the poor and excuses the rich.

I voted in favor of a flat tax. America's present tax code is such a bizaar compiliation of years upon years of changes, ad ons, loop holes, tables, where you live, this, that, etc., etc.. It's anitquated and needs to be completely scraped.

When the U.S.S.R. fell, Russia's economy was in taters. So they took that opportunity to start fresh. They imposed a flat tax of 17% accrossed the board for EVERYONE. It has worked so well to date that the government has so much money, they have given some BACK.

It is my firm belief that America would reap similiar results. Too many big businesses and rich people know the loop holes and how to hide their money, or make it look like they LOST money, only to wind up NOT PAYING ANY TAXES AT ALL. That needs to change. It ALL needs to change.

Originally posted by Kathianne
For the middle class, it would be more fair. It kills the poor and excuses the rich.

Why do you say "it kills the poor and excuses the rich"? Explain that please.

Personally I dont see where you are coming from. a flat rate is the only rate that is totally just. It doesnt matter how much you make, you all pay the same %. It would also make it more difficult for politicians to raise taxes because it would effect everyone. Why do you think Kerry and his ilk dont want a flat tax?

It's regressive. A flat 18% on an income of 25k is a much higher tax than 18% 90k. The tax on the former comes out of necessities, while the latter is expendible income. The higher the income, the less the 18% really is. It's the whole problem with sales taxes, gasoline taxes, etc.

That doesn't mean that the middle class doesn't need relief, they do. I don't have much faith that the income tax laws will ever be fair.:(

Originally posted by Pale Rider
I voted in favor of a flat tax. America's present tax code is such a bizaar compiliation of years upon years of changes, ad ons, loop holes, tables, where you live, this, that, etc., etc.. It's anitquated and needs to be completely scraped.

When the U.S.S.R. fell, Russia's economy was in taters. So they took that opportunity to start fresh. They imposed a flat tax of 17% accrossed the board for EVERYONE. It has worked so well to date that the government has so much money, they have given some BACK.

It is my firm belief that America would reap similiar results. Too many big businesses and rich people know the loop holes and how to hide their money, or make it look like they LOST money, only to wind up NOT PAYING ANY TAXES AT ALL. That needs to change. It ALL needs to change.

I hate it when assholes make sense. :D

It's regressive. A flat 18% on an income of 25k is a much higher tax than 18% 90k. The tax on the former comes out of necessities, while the latter is expendible income. The higher the income, the less the 18% really is. It's the whole problem with sales taxes, gasoline taxes, etc.

That doesn't mean that the middle class doesn't need relief, they do. I don't have much faith that the income tax laws will ever be fair.:(

Well they earn more money. shouldnt they be allowed to spend it as they choose?

I don't have a problem with the rich, middle class, or poor keeping every dime they can. The government takes way too much.

The federal income tax is not our biggest problem though, it's the 'invisible' taxes on everything you buy. Extra on car and home sales. Sales tax. Gasoline tax. Phone, computers, electric. You name it, they're taxing it.

Your property taxes are high. State income? Illinois is pretty high. Most of these are 'flat taxes.' They are unduly harsh on the less well off, including the elderly.

Seems to me there should be a simple progressive income tax at the federal and state levels, that should be it. Get rid of deductions, loopholes, etc.

OR get rid of the income taxes, including social security, and leave the other taxes alone. (The sky in my world is pink with rainbow stars.)

I just want to be able to figure out my taxes on my own without having to payt somebody even more money, just to take my money. It would be to have everything on one card and take 18% out and cut a check, without having to fill out forms with titles like 1040EZ or IL729KLYHWS^@*(#(KJMSNHD1527839. Anybody else feel like this?

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Well they earn more money. shouldnt they be allowed to spend it as they choose?

Exactly. Why is it people think that just because you're rich, you need to be penalized?

17% of $100,000 = $17,000

17% of $25,000 = $4,250

The whole point of the flat tax is, everybody in this county would pay their share according to their income. How much more fair can it get?

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Why are you calling Pale Rider an asshole?

And it really doesn't matter that you added a cute little smiley face.

I don't know. He made a smart ass crack at me in another thread too.

I guess I'm just next on his list to aggitate.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Why are you calling Pale Rider an asshole?

And it really doesn't matter that you added a cute little smiley face.

Because he called me a stupid doper or something.

Armstrong, I think we ALL feel like that. I just wonder if ya'all get what I mean about the flat tax being inherently unfair?

I don't know. He made a smart ass crack at me in another thread too.

I guess I'm just next on his list to aggitate.

Not at all.
Leave me alone, and it's all good.
Provoke me, and...

I don't have a problem with the rich, middle class, or poor keeping every dime they can. The government takes way too much.

The federal income tax is not our biggest problem though, it's the 'invisible' taxes on everything you buy. Extra on car and home sales. Sales tax. Gasoline tax. Phone, computers, electric. You name it, they're taxing it.

Your property taxes are high. State income? Illinois is pretty high. Most of these are 'flat taxes.' They are unduly harsh on the less well off, including the elderly.

Seems to me there should be a simple progressive income tax at the federal and state levels, that should be it. Get rid of deductions, loopholes, etc.

OR get rid of the income taxes, including social security, and leave the other taxes alone. (The sky in my world is pink with rainbow stars.)

Now you're making sense. "Federal AND state" taxes should be a flat rate. And you're right about all the other taxes. Taxes are a big issue. I just wanted to discuss the flat tax.

I'm moving to Neveda in a couple months. One of the biggest reasons is that Nevada HAS NO STATE INCOME TAX!

Exactly. Why is it people think that just because you're rich, you need to be penalized?

17% of $100,000 = $17,000

17% of $25,000 = $4,250

The whole point of the flat tax is, everybody in this county would pay their share according to their income. How much more fair can it get?

The funny think about it is ive thought a flat tax was a good idea since junior high. the system now sucks and is totally unfair. if i can figure out before i can legally do squat why cant these people we seem to vote for constantly comprehend it?

Originally posted by nycflasher
Not at all.
Leave me alone, and it's all good.
Provoke me, and...

You are like the irritating fly in a room that somebody needs to get up, chase down, and squash.

I can not overstate just how insignificant you are.

Lay off the dope for awhile and get a new grip on reality.

Forum List

Back