Flashback: Accused racist hockey commentator voted by Canadians, as the 7th Greatest Canadian...ever!

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Had a debate with a low performing Canadian on another forum and had to shut down his poorly informed nostalgic views. I explained my beef with Canada, how warped we are, what an enemy we represent to our allies, and, how little civil liberties means in Canada.

When he continued to push I had to express how low our standards are with my go-to move. My skyhook to Kareem, my choppy prance around the bases to Ruth, my behind the net pass to Gretzky.

In 2004 a nationwide "Vote for the Greatest Canadian" event was held. The winner was Tommy Douglas, our universal healthcare proponent (he was targeted and destroyed by the RCMP). Our 7th greatest Canadian ever as voted by Canada in 2004, was a hockey commentator! Don Cherry has since been fired for what some deemed racist language after a long career of milking the taxpayer at CBC (it runs in the family).

Not only was his grandpa with the RCMP, but, he's been the strongest defender who apologizes for even the most egregious of Toronto police abuses, including kettling and random arrests of people (without charges) during the G20. For decades he has used public television to express his dislike of many, including our own French citizens, and, he was able to get away with it even though it was clearly divisive.

So once I get on a roll I had to share it with my Yankee friends and those Canadians on here who lurk and try to take shots at me. Here is the article of our 7th Greatest nation ever in the history of Canada. A ___ing TV carnival act sports commentator. This is your progressive country to the North.

Thank you for your time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/i-m-good-but-not-the-greatest-don-cherry-1.513857

Outspoken hockey icon Don Cherry won't be voting for himself in the CBC's Greatest Canadian competition.

Instead, the host of Coach's Corner will be cheering for "another Kingston boy," Sir. John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister.

Macdonald was born in Glasgow, Scotland, but moved with his family to Kingston at the age of 5.

Cherry ranked in the top 10 when public ballots in the competition were tallied.

In St. John's Thursday to promote the opening of a restaurant, Cherry said he doesn't expect to win.

"I think I'm a good Canadian, but I'm not the greatest Canadian," he said.

The number of votes for Cherry raised eyebrows â and ire â among some pundits, following his series of politically incorrect remarks.

"I love it when we get the left-wingers going," Cherry said.

He also believes his nomination said something about Canadian politics.

"I think the people, the working-man people, made a statement here, that you don't have to be a college graduate to be a good Canadian," Cherry said.

The CBC says it received more than 140,000 nominations for the Greatest Canadian competition, and whittled them down to 10 finalists.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back