Fix to football overtime

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
My proposed fix to college and NFL overtime.

1) If the game is tied at the end of regulation, there will follow 1 overtime period, consisting of two halfs of 7:30 each.
2) A kick-off begins each half.
3) Ordinary coin toss rules apply at the start of each half of OT, as if each half were the half of a game, except that goals do not switch during a half (but may switch between halves if the team with the goal choice so desires)
4) Each team gets 1 time out per half
5) If one team gains more than a one possession lead - i.e. 9 or more points - the game ends instantly.
6) If the score is still tied at the end of this OT period, the game enters what ammounts to penalty kicks - except with conversions. Team A first gets a conversion attempt at goal 1, then team B at the same goal. They can go for either 1 or 2 points. if still tied, Team B at goal 1, then team A. If still tied, process repeats at goal 2. Repeat entire process until a winner is chosen

6) may sound absurd, but if two teams are truly equal in points after 5 quarters of play, why not? The game would probably end quicker than you think, and would only continue for a long time (1 point conversion after one point conversion) if BOTH teams desired it to.

Example:
Team A goes for two points. If they fail, Team B only has to kick a 1 pointer to win. If they succeed, team B needs 2. Tied if success, lose if failure.
So team A might go for 1. Team b can then choose to end it right there, by going for 2. Failure = loss, success = win. If they didn't go for 2, and kicked 1, and each team just kicked one back and forth - EVENTUALLY someone would miss or fake a field goal conversion.

Last edited:
One way to fix it would be to get rid of the extra point kick and make every team go for two.

You would have a lot fewer tie games

One way to fix it would be to get rid of the extra point kick and make every team go for two.

You would have a lot fewer tie games

I think that was part of the original intention of the 2 point conversion - to reduce tied game.

Of course, when OT was implemented in college ball, the 2 pt conversion became useless for reducing the number of games tied in OT. In days of old, many, if not most, coaches would take an opportunity to go for 2 and win without a tie game - but now, with OT, most all coaches will gladly take a 1 pointer if it means they can tie it up and get to OT.

1) If the game is tied at the end of regulation, there will follow 1 overtime period, consisting of two halfs of 7:30 each.
3) Ordinary coin toss rules apply at the start of each half of OT, as if each half were the half of a game, except that goals do not switch during a half (but may switch between halves if the team with the goal choice so desires)
5) If one team gains more than a one possession lead - i.e. 9 or more points - the game ends instantly.
6) If the score is still tied at the end of this OT period, the game enters what ammounts to penalty kicks - except with conversions. Team A first gets a conversion attempt at goal 1, then team B at the same goal. They can go for either 1 or 2 points. if still tied, Team B at goal 1, then team A. If still tied, process repeats at goal 2. Repeat entire process until a winner is chosen

6) may sound absurd, but if two teams are truly equal in points after 5 quarters of play, why not? The game would probably end quicker than you think, and would only continue for a long time (1 point conversion after one point conversion) if BOTH teams desired it to.

Example:
Team A goes for two points. If they fail, Team B only has to kick a 1 pointer to win. If they succeed, team B needs 2. Tied if success, lose if failure.
So team A might go for 1. Team b can then choose to end it right there, by going for 2. Failure = loss, success = win. If they didn't go for 2, and kicked 1, and each team just kicked one back and forth - EVENTUALLY someone would miss or fake a field goal conversion.

I'm of the opinion that ANY clock-being-tied-to-method-of-scoring scenario is crapolla. Just play a fifth quarter, one time out per team, 2 minute warning and the booth reviews all plays. If the score is still tied at the end of 5 quarters, play a sixth. If the tie persists, play a seventh. If still tied, play an eight. Somehow for 4 quarters the field goal and extra point is part of the sport. In overtime, the field goal is devalued? No f'ing way. Play until you win.

I know it's a violent sport but some teams play 2-3 more games than other teams and none of those guys who play in the conference championship or super bowls seem to be suffering a lot of injuries the other players did not. Man up and play.

Just go back to Old School. No overtime!!!

In playoffs, whoever scores first, game over.

Things are getting too complicated and one these days the refs are going to screw it up and one team and their fans are going to be real steamed.

Just go back to Old School. No overtime!!!

In playoffs, whoever scores first, game over.

Things are getting too complicated and one these days the refs are going to screw it up and one team and their fans are going to be real steamed.

Yeah, I know. But what could be easier than just playing a 5th quarter under the same rules more or less (time outs reduced by 2)?

I think it should be like this:

Team A starts with ball. Team B gets a chance to have a drive.

-both teams get an equal amount of possessions (unless a defensive touchdown is scored). If one team has more points after an even amount of possessions-game over.

I don't understand why people fundamentally want to change the rules of the game after four quarters. Baseball doesn't do it. Basketball doesn't do it. Only football does it. Maybe play one 10 minute quarter but hell, why not just have a skills competition or coin flips if you're going to make it into some "golden goal" scenario

I have a better plan for determining the winner in the event that over-time is needed. A wet t-shirt contest between a selectee from each team. The refs can be the judge of who wins but the wet t-shirt contest must be televised.

Example:

I'm of the opinion that ANY clock-being-tied-to-method-of-scoring scenario is crapolla. Just play a fifth quarter, one time out per team, 2 minute warning and the booth reviews all plays. If the score is still tied at the end of 5 quarters, play a sixth. If the tie persists, play a seventh. If still tied, play an eight. Somehow for 4 quarters the field goal and extra point is part of the sport. In overtime, the field goal is devalued? No f'ing way. Play until you win.

I know it's a violent sport but some teams play 2-3 more games than other teams
Not on the same day.

and none of those guys who play in the conference championship or super bowls seem to be suffering a lot of injuries the other players did not. Man up and play.

You play 8 quarters its a game of attrition, not football.

Example:

Not on the same day.

and none of those guys who play in the conference championship or super bowls seem to be suffering a lot of injuries the other players did not. Man up and play.

So be it. They usually have 6 days to heal up unless they have a bye week then they have 13 days. Make them 10 minute quarters. Hell, 2/3 of the team--by rule--isn't on the field at the same time. You may play 2 OT games a year.... All the more reason to go for the win in regulation.

All positives, no negatives.

Should the NBA just play for 48 minutes then settle it with a game of H-O-R-S-E?

NFL overtime essentially does what it is designed to do.....break ties

No real need to mess with it

Not on the same day.

So be it. They usually have 6 days to heal up unless they have a bye week then they have 13 days. Make them 10 minute quarters. Hell, 2/3 of the team--by rule--isn't on the field at the same time. You may play 2 OT games a year.... All the more reason to go for the win in regulation.

Should the NBA just play for 48 minutes then settle it with a game of H-O-R-S-E?

Its clear you've never played organized football at any level above pee wee.

A system like yours might be fine if it were only used to decide championships - when healing up for the next game is no longer relevant. Its not realistic for play week in and week out.

I agree it is better than college OT - at least it resembles football in regulation. Pretty much exactly except that the game can end before the clock hits zero and one team has the kickoff advantage over another.

I agree it is better than college OT - at least it resembles football in regulation. Pretty much exactly except that the game can end before the clock hits zero and one team has the kickoff advantage over another.

The main thing I hate about college OT is they give you the ball on the 25. You are automatically in scoring position. They should at least make you start at the 50

I do like how in college they stop the clock on a first down. Opens up the field on a last minute drive

The main thing I hate about college OT is they give you the ball on the 25. You are automatically in scoring position. They should at least make you start at the 50

It is stupid. It also eliminates the kicking game, except for field goals. And if the defense recovers a turnover, so long as they don't score, advancing the turnover to their own 1 is the same as advancing it to the other teams 1.

I do like how in college they stop the clock on a first down. Opens up the field on a last minute drive

The clock only stops until the referee has set the ball ready for play.

Just ask Jordan Jefferson.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgQMU4kC-4]Les Miles Epic Fail - LSU vs. Ole Miss 11/21/09 (HQ) - YouTube[/ame]

Not on the same day.

A system like yours might be fine if it were only used to decide championships - when healing up for the next game is no longer relevant. Its not realistic for play week in and week out.

Overtimes are seldom (if ever), "week in and week out" occurrences. So your swipe at me is moot since it isn't taking place. So 1/3 of the team being on the field for an extra 10 minutes of playing time is too much?

So would having the offensive coordinators having a dance-off. A team with a high powered offense and suspect defense gets too much benefit from the overtime as currently constructed. Basically the game is decided by a coin flip which isn't fair to the team that loses a coin flip of all things.

Not on the same day.

According to one stat I read, there were 124 overtime games between 2000 and 2007 (the stat is listed onAdvanced NFL Stats: How Important is the Coin Flip in OT?).

So not counting for playoffs and using 2007 to mean seasons 2000-through 2006, there were 512 games give or take. Of the 512, 124 had overtime periods or 25 percent of the games. So 75 percent of the time, the overtime doesn't even come into effect. When it does, the 124 times, by rule, only 1/3 of the team is on the field at any one time.

Also, if you call it a 10 minute quarter, the chance of injury is reduced even less.

The 10 minute quarter (or quarters) stacks up even prettier when you take into effect the months of practice time the players put in, the live drills they have, etc... Is ten more minutes of football really such a heinous proposition--only a quarter of the time?

Forum List

Back