Fix to football overtime

Discussion in 'Sports' started by OohPooPahDoo, Feb 10, 2012.

1. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    My proposed fix to college and NFL overtime.

1) If the game is tied at the end of regulation, there will follow 1 overtime period, consisting of two halfs of 7:30 each.
    2) A kick-off begins each half.
    3) Ordinary coin toss rules apply at the start of each half of OT, as if each half were the half of a game, except that goals do not switch during a half (but may switch between halves if the team with the goal choice so desires)
    4) Each team gets 1 time out per half
    5) If one team gains more than a one possession lead - i.e. 9 or more points - the game ends instantly.
    6) If the score is still tied at the end of this OT period, the game enters what ammounts to penalty kicks - except with conversions. Team A first gets a conversion attempt at goal 1, then team B at the same goal. They can go for either 1 or 2 points. if still tied, Team B at goal 1, then team A. If still tied, process repeats at goal 2. Repeat entire process until a winner is chosen

6) may sound absurd, but if two teams are truly equal in points after 5 quarters of play, why not? The game would probably end quicker than you think, and would only continue for a long time (1 point conversion after one point conversion) if BOTH teams desired it to.

Example:
    Team A goes for two points. If they fail, Team B only has to kick a 1 pointer to win. If they succeed, team B needs 2. Tied if success, lose if failure.
    So team A might go for 1. Team b can then choose to end it right there, by going for 2. Failure = loss, success = win. If they didn't go for 2, and kicked 1, and each team just kicked one back and forth - EVENTUALLY someone would miss or fake a field goal conversion.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,508
    One way to fix it would be to get rid of the extra point kick and make every team go for two.

You would have a lot fewer tie games

3. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I think that was part of the original intention of the 2 point conversion - to reduce tied game.

Of course, when OT was implemented in college ball, the 2 pt conversion became useless for reducing the number of games tied in OT. In days of old, many, if not most, coaches would take an opportunity to go for 2 and win without a tie game - but now, with OT, most all coaches will gladly take a 1 pointer if it means they can tie it up and get to OT.

4. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,511
    Actually, when football games go into overtime, that's extra beer drinking time.

5. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,069
    I'm of the opinion that ANY clock-being-tied-to-method-of-scoring scenario is crapolla. Just play a fifth quarter, one time out per team, 2 minute warning and the booth reviews all plays. If the score is still tied at the end of 5 quarters, play a sixth. If the tie persists, play a seventh. If still tied, play an eight. Somehow for 4 quarters the field goal and extra point is part of the sport. In overtime, the field goal is devalued? No f'ing way. Play until you win.

I know it's a violent sport but some teams play 2-3 more games than other teams and none of those guys who play in the conference championship or super bowls seem to be suffering a lot of injuries the other players did not. Man up and play.

6. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Just go back to Old School. No overtime!!!

In playoffs, whoever scores first, game over.

Things are getting too complicated and one these days the refs are going to screw it up and one team and their fans are going to be real steamed.

7. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,069
    Yeah, I know. But what could be easier than just playing a 5th quarter under the same rules more or less (time outs reduced by 2)?

8. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I think it should be like this:

Team A starts with ball. Team B gets a chance to have a drive.

-both teams get an equal amount of possessions (unless a defensive touchdown is scored). If one team has more points after an even amount of possessions-game over.

9. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,069
    I don't understand why people fundamentally want to change the rules of the game after four quarters. Baseball doesn't do it. Basketball doesn't do it. Only football does it. Maybe play one 10 minute quarter but hell, why not just have a skills competition or coin flips if you're going to make it into some "golden goal" scenario

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,749
    I have a better plan for determining the winner in the event that over-time is needed. A wet t-shirt contest between a selectee from each team. The refs can be the judge of who wins but the wet t-shirt contest must be televised.