First black actress to play Cinderella on Broadway

Uh.... "invented by whites"??

Races invent things now? TMI dood....

You might want to look upthread and see if you can spot the doofus who first made mention of Jazz, Ragtime and the Blues.

Uh.... "invented by whites"??

Races invent things now? TMI dood....

You might want to look upthread and see if you can spot the doofus who first made mention of Jazz, Ragtime and the Blues.

Logic ain't your thing huh? You done pooped yer pants over Africans playing in a European cultural art form. So I presented Europeans playing an African cultural art form. Then you left the art world altogether and went all "using technologies invented by whites". Red herring much?

:eusa_hand:

You done pooped yer pants over Africans playing in a European cultural art form. So I presented Europeans playing an African cultural art form.

Play a role, Cinderella, is not the same as playing in an art form, theater. Playing Jazz is playing an art form.

Why oh why did I forget this advice:

never-argue-with-stupid-people.jpg

This just in: theater is not an art form. At least not when blacks do it.

Film at 11.

:cuckoo:

The script writers are have to make a few adjustment to certain lines in the play.

Such as, "Cinderella, Cinderella, let down your afro" and her suitor will now "Ax" for her hand in marriage. ..... :lol:

Wow, is it ok for us to mock Sunni Muslims now?

You done pooped yer pants over Africans playing in a European cultural art form. So I presented Europeans playing an African cultural art form.

Play a role, Cinderella, is not the same as playing in an art form, theater. Playing Jazz is playing an art form.

Why oh why did I forget this advice:

never-argue-with-stupid-people.jpg

Say what??!! You're drunk or joking. Given your statement above you should seriously consider applying the meme to yourself...... nosce te ipsum.

Can't wait for a white woman to play Harriet Tubman

Harriet Tubman was a real human being; Cinderella is a fairy tale character. You don't get the difference? :lol:

And, in fact, we had a white man playing Ghandi, for the movie of that name. I don't recall any Americans having fits over that. We have also had innumerable white men and women playing Native Americans on television and in movies. Again, the white guys don't seem to have a problem with that. And then there is Othello. Many white men have played Othello in movies and on stage for a long, long time, and no whites gave a rat's ass.

But, obviously, when it is someone non-white doing a role they perceive as only for whites, they have a huge hissy fit. :cuckoo:

Last edited:

And the official description for this production is this:

Updated version of the classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musical of the classic fairy-tale, with an all-star, multi-racial cast.​

You see, the race issue is a gimmick. It's like doing Hamlet in the nude.

You understand absolutely zilch about art and literature. Classics, such as Cinderella and Shakespeare's plays are regularly done with different artistic perspectives because it is art. Any director can re-work a play to give it a somewhat different perspective. I don't think there is such a thing as a nude Hamlet; you're making that up for the benefit of, ironically, theatrics and hyperbole. However, if there was a thematic and artistic rationale for there being one, it isn't a gimmick, it is a director expressing an artistic perspective. And in fact, doing it in the nude could point to the dishonesty and deception in the play, and in the end of the play, baring it all.

For example, I once saw Julius Caeser done as a military coup in South America. It was very well done and very interesting. There was an excellent British television drama of Macbeth set in modern day London of the 1980s and had to do with taking over a financial institution. There's also an excellent British film of Macbeth which takes place on a housing estate in England. This is artistic expression. Completely acceptable and not gimmickry.

There is an excellent American film of King Lear set in the old west, with Patrick Stewart as King Lear. It's on video; you should rent it. Saying Cinderella can't be cast with people of non-white descent is tantamount to the British saying the Americans cannnot adapt King Lear to the early days in the American West.

Having a multi-cultural cast for Cinderella is not a 'gimmick,' it is an artistic perspective on the play which has the purpose of expressing the idea that fairy tales are not only for people of the race or country in which the story originated. The archetypal concepts and characters in Cinderella exist throughout humankind. The same idea is expressed in the the Baz Luhrmann version of Romeo and Juliet. Not a gimmick but an expression of the play having universal and timeless themes.

For nimnos like you, anything you don't understand is a 'gimmick.'

images

Last edited:
Can't wait for a white woman to play Harriet Tubman

Harriet Tubman was a real human being; Cinderella is a fairy tale character. You don't get the difference? :lol:

And, in fact, we had a white man playing Ghandi, for the movie of that name. I don't recall any Americans having fits over that. We have also had innumerable white men and women playing Native Americans on television and in movies. Again, the white guys don't seem to have a problem with that. And then there is Othello. Many white men have played Othello in movies and on stage for a long, long time, and no whites gave a rat's ass.

But, obviously, when it is someone non-white doing a role they perceive as only for whites, they have a huge hissy fit. :cuckoo:

David Carradine played the leading role in the old KUNG FU tv series instead of Bruce Lee because hollywood wasnt ready for an asian yet

I kind of like having a Black cinderilla, Stage is just an art form. It would be interesting to see how they play it up. Actually I dont think its all that ground breaking, black and white people have had a history together for some time now in stage, movies, music.

I hope she fails. The only way to put a stop to racism is to not reward it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

This is a news story BECAUSE this young actress is black.

Look, we can analyze this from number of different perspectives. The story is from a European heritage, first published in the late 17th Century. Princes, balls, ballgowns, etc all come from that heritage. Blacks didn't intersect with that world at that time.

Cinderella is the daughter of a widowed Prince. The internal cohesion of the story breaks down when we posit a 17th Century prince is black in a white society. It's not plausible from a story narrative perspective - this gimmick pulls the viewer out of the moment, it doesn't meet the condition of creating a plausible suspension of disbelief. Instead of the audience focusing on the play, they focus on the odd duck of a black princess Cinderella in a 17th Century European setting.

Playwrights can adapt an afro-centric story based on the Cinderella story and set it in an African society where we see African princes and African social mores and African balls and African styles of dress from the 17th Century but that's not what's happening here.

This story is pushing an ideological agenda that race substitution is no different than having one actress be 5'2" and her replacement being 5'6" - a physical change of no consequence, something that shouldn't be an issue to anyone but when a taller actress takes over from a shorter actress the producers aren't using their PR people to hype the fact and make it national news. The fact that they're hyping this story into overdrive signals that they believe that the race-substitution gimmick is a big deal. It's an agenda driven, rather than a story driven, decision. It's ideological. This then injects ideology/politics into what is a child's story. Anytime you politicize a topic you create division. There will be the race warriors who will cheer on this ideological decision and there will be the anti-racists who denounce it.

Then there's the business decision. Will overt racism be a good tool to boost box office? Who is the intended audience? Black girls will probably like it because it's a racist siren call for them. Art can take the form of organic stories focused on race - "Boyz in the Hood" is a good example. That movie had large cross-over appeal. It was a good movie because it focused on the stories of young black men in LA and the story just wouldn't work if the characters were whites who faced the same obstacles. Then there are the Madea movies which have little cross-over appeal because most of the stories are run of the mill and their only appeal to black audiences is that they are set in a predominantly black universe. Whites get the same stories all over the place, so there's nothing engaging about those movies. Putting a black actress into the role of Cinderella will appeal to black girls. Without racist casting, with a white actress, white girls attend Cinderella plays, and black girls and Asian girls and Hispanic girls, etc, just for the story - the race of the actress playing Cinderella is immaterial. Now with the gimmicked casting the race of Cinderella breaks the suspension of disbelief, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Doing Shakespeare where all the actors are nude is a gimmick move. Being a racist director is a gimmick move. These gimmicks don't ADD to the story, in fact they distract from the story - look at the hooters on Ophelia, look at the schlong on Hamlet, look at that black girl playing Cinderella.

"Blacks didn't intersect with Europe" in the 17th century?? Uh- ever hear of slavery?

Well before all that, Africans were in Europe; Portugal was doing intense trade with West Africa in the 15th. Africans were known to be living in Iberia, England and France. This guy was a nobleman in the Duchy of Brabant, what is now Belgium, early 16th century (page here):

Jan+Mostaert%27s+portrait+of+a+nobleman+guest+of+the+Queen+of+Austria+(early+1500%27s).jpg

More to the point, by your logic, is it wrong for white people to play jazz? It is after all an art form born of African culture and sensibility. How 'bout ragtime?

What about this guy? Is he "pushing an ideological agenda"?

Eric-Clapton.jpg

Can blue men sing the whites?
the Moors conquered much of the N.Mediterranean during the 8th Century....many of them were black....im half Sicilian.....my grandmothers brothers were all pretty dam dark.... when i get a tan going many around here speak Spanish to me....

Keke Palmer To Be Broadway?s First Black Cinderella « CBS Miami

keke-palmer.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Like many girls, actress and singer Keke Palmer grew up dreaming of meeting a prince who would whisk her away to a life of love and happiness. In her case, it’s going to happen — eight shows a week on Broadway.

Palmer said she’ll be stepping into the title role in “Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella” starting Sept. 9 at the Broadway Theatre. She will become the first African-American to play the part on the Great White Way.

“It’s honestly one of those things that I can’t believe is really happening,” Palmer said by phone Friday from her Los Angeles home. “I’m very excited. Very excited and nervous as well — a bunch of feelings all at once.”

Palmer, 21, is stepping into the sparkly shoes first worn by Tony-nominated Laura Osnes, then put on by “Call Me Maybe” Canadian pop star Carly Rae Jepsen and currently worn by Paige Faure, who launches a national tour in the title role this fall.

Palmer, who will be making her professional stage debut, will rely on a host of skills she’s developed from film — including “Barbershop 2: Back in Business” and “Akeelah and the Bee” — her BET talk show, “Just Keke,” and on TV in Showtime’s “Masters of Sex.” Her albums include the 2007 CD “So Uncool” and a self-titled 2012 EP.

She has played Chili in “CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story” and starred in Nickelodeon’s “True Jackson, VP.” Palmer also appeared opposite Cicely Tyson and Vanessa Williams in Lifetime’s “A Trip to Bountiful,” which was nominated for an Emmy Award.

“She acts beautifully, she dances, she sings — she’s an amazing young woman,” Tony Award-winning producer Robyn Goodman said. “I think she’s going to be just so lovely.”

Since one of our KKK types got all bent about a black comic book super hero (don't remember which one), I thought some might be interested in this little story.

I wish her every success, as I'm sure others do as well.

Break a leg, Keke.
already been done......on TV anyway....

Cinderella TV Movie 1997 - IMDb

I hope she fails. The only way to put a stop to racism is to not reward it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

This is a news story BECAUSE this young actress is black.

Look, we can analyze this from number of different perspectives. The story is from a European heritage, first published in the late 17th Century. Princes, balls, ballgowns, etc all come from that heritage. Blacks didn't intersect with that world at that time.

Cinderella is the daughter of a widowed Prince. The internal cohesion of the story breaks down when we posit a 17th Century prince is black in a white society. It's not plausible from a story narrative perspective - this gimmick pulls the viewer out of the moment, it doesn't meet the condition of creating a plausible suspension of disbelief. Instead of the audience focusing on the play, they focus on the odd duck of a black princess Cinderella in a 17th Century European setting.

Playwrights can adapt an afro-centric story based on the Cinderella story and set it in an African society where we see African princes and African social mores and African balls and African styles of dress from the 17th Century but that's not what's happening here.

This story is pushing an ideological agenda that race substitution is no different than having one actress be 5'2" and her replacement being 5'6" - a physical change of no consequence, something that shouldn't be an issue to anyone but when a taller actress takes over from a shorter actress the producers aren't using their PR people to hype the fact and make it national news. The fact that they're hyping this story into overdrive signals that they believe that the race-substitution gimmick is a big deal. It's an agenda driven, rather than a story driven, decision. It's ideological. This then injects ideology/politics into what is a child's story. Anytime you politicize a topic you create division. There will be the race warriors who will cheer on this ideological decision and there will be the anti-racists who denounce it.

Then there's the business decision. Will overt racism be a good tool to boost box office? Who is the intended audience? Black girls will probably like it because it's a racist siren call for them. Art can take the form of organic stories focused on race - "Boyz in the Hood" is a good example. That movie had large cross-over appeal. It was a good movie because it focused on the stories of young black men in LA and the story just wouldn't work if the characters were whites who faced the same obstacles. Then there are the Madea movies which have little cross-over appeal because most of the stories are run of the mill and their only appeal to black audiences is that they are set in a predominantly black universe. Whites get the same stories all over the place, so there's nothing engaging about those movies. Putting a black actress into the role of Cinderella will appeal to black girls. Without racist casting, with a white actress, white girls attend Cinderella plays, and black girls and Asian girls and Hispanic girls, etc, just for the story - the race of the actress playing Cinderella is immaterial. Now with the gimmicked casting the race of Cinderella breaks the suspension of disbelief, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Doing Shakespeare where all the actors are nude is a gimmick move. Being a racist director is a gimmick move. These gimmicks don't ADD to the story, in fact they distract from the story - look at the hooters on Ophelia, look at the schlong on Hamlet, look at that black girl playing Cinderella.

"Blacks didn't intersect with Europe" in the 17th century?? Uh- ever hear of slavery?

Well before all that, Africans were in Europe; Portugal was doing intense trade with West Africa in the 15th. Africans were known to be living in Iberia, England and France. This guy was a nobleman in the Duchy of Brabant, what is now Belgium, early 16th century (page here):

Jan+Mostaert%27s+portrait+of+a+nobleman+guest+of+the+Queen+of+Austria+(early+1500%27s).jpg

More to the point, by your logic, is it wrong for white people to play jazz? It is after all an art form born of African culture and sensibility. How 'bout ragtime?

What about this guy? Is he "pushing an ideological agenda"?

Eric-Clapton.jpg

Can blue men sing the whites?
the Moors conquered much of the N.Mediterranean during the 8th Century....many of them were black....im half Sicilian.....my grandmothers brothers were all pretty dam dark.... when i get a tan going many around here speak Spanish to me....

Yup, my black-Irish father had the same experience.

Forum List

Back