First black actress to play Cinderella on Broadway

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Keke Palmer To Be Broadway?s First Black Cinderella « CBS Miami

keke-palmer.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Like many girls, actress and singer Keke Palmer grew up dreaming of meeting a prince who would whisk her away to a life of love and happiness. In her case, it’s going to happen — eight shows a week on Broadway.

Palmer said she’ll be stepping into the title role in “Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella” starting Sept. 9 at the Broadway Theatre. She will become the first African-American to play the part on the Great White Way.

“It’s honestly one of those things that I can’t believe is really happening,” Palmer said by phone Friday from her Los Angeles home. “I’m very excited. Very excited and nervous as well — a bunch of feelings all at once.”

Palmer, 21, is stepping into the sparkly shoes first worn by Tony-nominated Laura Osnes, then put on by “Call Me Maybe” Canadian pop star Carly Rae Jepsen and currently worn by Paige Faure, who launches a national tour in the title role this fall.

Palmer, who will be making her professional stage debut, will rely on a host of skills she’s developed from film — including “Barbershop 2: Back in Business” and “Akeelah and the Bee” — her BET talk show, “Just Keke,” and on TV in Showtime’s “Masters of Sex.” Her albums include the 2007 CD “So Uncool” and a self-titled 2012 EP.

She has played Chili in “CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story” and starred in Nickelodeon’s “True Jackson, VP.” Palmer also appeared opposite Cicely Tyson and Vanessa Williams in Lifetime’s “A Trip to Bountiful,” which was nominated for an Emmy Award.

“She acts beautifully, she dances, she sings — she’s an amazing young woman,” Tony Award-winning producer Robyn Goodman said. “I think she’s going to be just so lovely.”

Since one of our KKK types got all bent about a black comic book super hero (don't remember which one), I thought some might be interested in this little story.

I wish her every success, as I'm sure others do as well.

Break a leg, Keke.

I hope she fails. The only way to put a stop to racism is to not reward it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

This is a news story BECAUSE this young actress is black.

Look, we can analyze this from number of different perspectives. The story is from a European heritage, first published in the late 17th Century. Princes, balls, ballgowns, etc all come from that heritage. Blacks didn't intersect with that world at that time.

Cinderella is the daughter of a widowed Prince. The internal cohesion of the story breaks down when we posit a 17th Century prince is black in a white society. It's not plausible from a story narrative perspective - this gimmick pulls the viewer out of the moment, it doesn't meet the condition of creating a plausible suspension of disbelief. Instead of the audience focusing on the play, they focus on the odd duck of a black princess Cinderella in a 17th Century European setting.

Playwrights can adapt an afro-centric story based on the Cinderella story and set it in an African society where we see African princes and African social mores and African balls and African styles of dress from the 17th Century but that's not what's happening here.

This story is pushing an ideological agenda that race substitution is no different than having one actress be 5'2" and her replacement being 5'6" - a physical change of no consequence, something that shouldn't be an issue to anyone but when a taller actress takes over from a shorter actress the producers aren't using their PR people to hype the fact and make it national news. The fact that they're hyping this story into overdrive signals that they believe that the race-substitution gimmick is a big deal. It's an agenda driven, rather than a story driven, decision. It's ideological. This then injects ideology/politics into what is a child's story. Anytime you politicize a topic you create division. There will be the race warriors who will cheer on this ideological decision and there will be the anti-racists who denounce it.

Then there's the business decision. Will overt racism be a good tool to boost box office? Who is the intended audience? Black girls will probably like it because it's a racist siren call for them. Art can take the form of organic stories focused on race - "Boyz in the Hood" is a good example. That movie had large cross-over appeal. It was a good movie because it focused on the stories of young black men in LA and the story just wouldn't work if the characters were whites who faced the same obstacles. Then there are the Madea movies which have little cross-over appeal because most of the stories are run of the mill and their only appeal to black audiences is that they are set in a predominantly black universe. Whites get the same stories all over the place, so there's nothing engaging about those movies. Putting a black actress into the role of Cinderella will appeal to black girls. Without racist casting, with a white actress, white girls attend Cinderella plays, and black girls and Asian girls and Hispanic girls, etc, just for the story - the race of the actress playing Cinderella is immaterial. Now with the gimmicked casting the race of Cinderella breaks the suspension of disbelief, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Doing Shakespeare where all the actors are nude is a gimmick move. Being a racist director is a gimmick move. These gimmicks don't ADD to the story, in fact they distract from the story - look at the hooters on Ophelia, look at the schlong on Hamlet, look at that black girl playing Cinderella.

Last edited:

Stick your finger back in the light socket till we can get you to the electroshock machine at the clinic.
(Make note in patients' records: shock therapy appears to be of little consequence, no change in delusional behavior. Consider increasing strength or duration of treatment. Also rescan cranium, amoeba brain transplant may have been rejected by host.)

keke-palmer.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Like many girls, actress and singer Keke Palmer grew up dreaming of meeting a prince who would whisk her away to a life of love and happiness. In her case, it’s going to happen — eight shows a week on Broadway.

Palmer said she’ll be stepping into the title role in “Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella” starting Sept. 9 at the Broadway Theatre. She will become the first African-American to play the part on the Great White Way.

“It’s honestly one of those things that I can’t believe is really happening,” Palmer said by phone Friday from her Los Angeles home. “I’m very excited. Very excited and nervous as well — a bunch of feelings all at once.”

Palmer, 21, is stepping into the sparkly shoes first worn by Tony-nominated Laura Osnes, then put on by “Call Me Maybe” Canadian pop star Carly Rae Jepsen and currently worn by Paige Faure, who launches a national tour in the title role this fall.

Palmer, who will be making her professional stage debut, will rely on a host of skills she’s developed from film — including “Barbershop 2: Back in Business” and “Akeelah and the Bee” — her BET talk show, “Just Keke,” and on TV in Showtime’s “Masters of Sex.” Her albums include the 2007 CD “So Uncool” and a self-titled 2012 EP.

She has played Chili in “CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story” and starred in Nickelodeon’s “True Jackson, VP.” Palmer also appeared opposite Cicely Tyson and Vanessa Williams in Lifetime’s “A Trip to Bountiful,” which was nominated for an Emmy Award.

“She acts beautifully, she dances, she sings — she’s an amazing young woman,” Tony Award-winning producer Robyn Goodman said. “I think she’s going to be just so lovely.”

Since one of our KKK types got all bent about a black comic book super hero (don't remember which one), I thought some might be interested in this little story.

Break a leg, Keke.

The mutants of the christer cracker klan party are shitting their pants as the demographic shift takes place and those ass wipes hopefully will feel even more marginalized as their betters move above them in society :lol:

Last edited:

Look, we can analyze this from number of different perspectives. The story is from a European heritage, first published in the late 17th Century. Princes, balls, ballgowns, etc all come from that heritage. Blacks didn't intersect with that world at that time.

Cinderella is the daughter of a widowed Prince. The internal cohesion of the story breaks down when we posit a 17th Century prince is black in a white society. It's not plausible from a story narrative perspective - this gimmick pulls the viewer out of the moment, it doesn't meet the condition of creating a plausible suspension of disbelief. Instead of the audience focusing on the play, they focus on the odd duck of a black princess Cinderella in a 17th Century European setting.

Playwrights can adapt an afro-centric story based on the Cinderella story and set it in an African society where we see African princes and African social mores and African balls and African styles of dress from the 17th Century but that's not what's happening here.

This story is pushing an ideological agenda that race substitution is no different than having one actress be 5'2" and her replacement being 5'6" - a physical change of no consequence, something that shouldn't be an issue to anyone but when a taller actress takes over from a shorter actress the producers aren't using their PR people to hype the fact and make it national news. The fact that they're hyping this story into overdrive signals that they believe that the race-substitution gimmick is a big deal. It's an agenda driven, rather than a story driven, decision. It's ideological. This then injects ideology/politics into what is a child's story. Anytime you politicize a topic you create division. There will be the race warriors who will cheer on this ideological decision and there will be the anti-racists who denounce it.

Then there's the business decision. Will overt racism be a good tool to boost box office? Who is the intended audience? Black girls will probably like it because it's a racist siren call for them. Art can take the form of organic stories focused on race - "Boyz in the Hood" is a good example. That movie had large cross-over appeal. It was a good movie because it focused on the stories of young black men in LA and the story just wouldn't work if the characters were whites who faced the same obstacles. Then there are the Madea movies which have little cross-over appeal because most of the stories are run of the mill and their only appeal to black audiences is that they are set in a predominantly black universe. Whites get the same stories all over the place, so there's nothing engaging about those movies. Putting a black actress into the role of Cinderella will appeal to black girls. Without racist casting, with a white actress, white girls attend Cinderella plays, and black girls and Asian girls and Hispanic girls, etc, just for the story - the race of the actress playing Cinderella is immaterial. Now with the gimmicked casting the race of Cinderella breaks the suspension of disbelief, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Doing Shakespeare where all the actors are nude is a gimmick move. Being a racist director is a gimmick move. These gimmicks don't ADD to the story, in fact they distract from the story - look at the hooters on Ophelia, look at the schlong on Hamlet, look at that black girl playing Cinderella.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

:lol:

Cinderella is a fucking fairy tale, dude. There's no "suspension of disbelief" involved at all.

If she's good, good for her. If not, the producers will lose money. Either way, I don't give a shit, and neither do most people.

The only people who care, one way or the other - whether they cheer her just because she's black, or wish for her to fail just because she's black - are in fact being racist.

keke-palmer.jpg

Break a leg, Keke.

Not to bad looking. Unfortunately broadway and showtunes are to faggesh for my taste.

Cinderella is a fucking fairy tale, dude. There's no "suspension of disbelief" involved at all.

Oh yeah, then why not make Cinderella a male linebacker, pull some of the rubber alien suits from "Star Wars" and "Men in Black" and add them into the character mix, have horse drawn carriages pull the people to the Star Wars cantina set.

No one will notice, there is no suspension of disbelief when we deal with fairy tales. Why not have the Prince be one of these people?

Columbias-Men-in-Black-II-2002-0.jpg

Oh yeah, then why not make Cinderella a male linebacker, pull some of the rubber alien suits from "Star Wars" and "Men in Black" and add them into the character mix, have horse drawn carriages pull the people to the Star Wars cantina set.

No one will notice, there is no suspension of disbelief when we deal with fairy tales. Why not have the Prince be one of these people?

Columbias-Men-in-Black-II-2002-0.jpg

Prince already is one of those people but that's beside the point.......
Again, other than a few agenda driven people on both sides, who the fuck cares?

Forum List

Back