First black actress to play Cinderella on Broadway

Does it seem liberals are obsessed with people's skin color?

Myself I try to live by these words. I don't care if they are pink or purple

Don’t Judge me based on the color of my skin, but on the content of my character-

Keke Palmer To Be Broadway?s First Black Cinderella « CBS Miami

keke-palmer.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Like many girls, actress and singer Keke Palmer grew up dreaming of meeting a prince who would whisk her away to a life of love and happiness. In her case, it’s going to happen — eight shows a week on Broadway.

Palmer said she’ll be stepping into the title role in “Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella” starting Sept. 9 at the Broadway Theatre. She will become the first African-American to play the part on the Great White Way.

“It’s honestly one of those things that I can’t believe is really happening,” Palmer said by phone Friday from her Los Angeles home. “I’m very excited. Very excited and nervous as well — a bunch of feelings all at once.”

Palmer, 21, is stepping into the sparkly shoes first worn by Tony-nominated Laura Osnes, then put on by “Call Me Maybe” Canadian pop star Carly Rae Jepsen and currently worn by Paige Faure, who launches a national tour in the title role this fall.

Palmer, who will be making her professional stage debut, will rely on a host of skills she’s developed from film — including “Barbershop 2: Back in Business” and “Akeelah and the Bee” — her BET talk show, “Just Keke,” and on TV in Showtime’s “Masters of Sex.” Her albums include the 2007 CD “So Uncool” and a self-titled 2012 EP.

She has played Chili in “CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story” and starred in Nickelodeon’s “True Jackson, VP.” Palmer also appeared opposite Cicely Tyson and Vanessa Williams in Lifetime’s “A Trip to Bountiful,” which was nominated for an Emmy Award.

“She acts beautifully, she dances, she sings — she’s an amazing young woman,” Tony Award-winning producer Robyn Goodman said. “I think she’s going to be just so lovely.”

Since one of our KKK types got all bent about a black comic book super hero (don't remember which one), I thought some might be interested in this little story.

I wish her every success, as I'm sure others do as well.

Break a leg, Keke.

The mutants of the christer cracker klan party are shitting their pants as the demographic shift takes place and those ass wipes hopefully will feel even more marginalized as their betters move above them in society :lol:

She got the part because she's talented but its definitely a plus that it makes the Khrister Kracker Klan's heads explode.

Its very funny that one ignorant racist doesn't know that it was the princess in Rapunzel who had to "let down her hair" in order to climb down from her castle prison.

Very funny too is that another ignorant racist thinks that Cinderella is about a real person.

But, one of the ignorant racists said something that is very true -

This is a news story BECAUSE this young actress is black.

It made me remember what (lesbian astronaut) Sally Ride said about being the first woman to go to space. She said that it would mean something when we get to the point that a woman doing something was so commonplace that it no longer made the news.

The same is true of this story. The same is true of electing a woman president, of marriage equality, same sex couples adopting children and all those other things we have tried to keep qualified people from doing and having.

She said that it would mean something when we get to the point that a woman doing something was so commonplace that it no longer made the news.

I dream of a world where Edgar Winter playing Nelson Mandela won't be news.

No you don't. Nor does Frank really want a white woman to play Harriet Tubman.

You're just sad, angry, impotent little racists, scared to death that you can't measure up.

As it happens, your fears are quite valid.

She said that it would mean something when we get to the point that a woman doing something was so commonplace that it no longer made the news.

I dream of a world where Edgar Winter playing Nelson Mandela won't be news.

No you don't. Nor does Frank really want a white woman to play Harriet Tubman.

Actually I do want that. If that was a kickstarter funded project, I'd kick in $100 for a ticket to see that.

I'd love to hear the gnashing of teeth from the black-activist and white-liberal class at the news of Edgar Winter playing the part of Nelson Mandela. Then I could tell them that "race is only a social construction" and call them bigots and declare that they hired a talented man for the job, but that I'm still saddened that it was a man, rather than a woman, who was hired to play Nelson.

Why are blacks always following in the footsteps of whites?

Its very funny that one ignorant racist doesn't know that it was the princess in Rapunzel who had to "let down her hair" in order to climb down from her castle prison.

Very funny too is that another ignorant racist thinks that Cinderella is about a real person.

It made me remember what (lesbian astronaut) Sally Ride said about being the first woman to go to space. She said that it would mean something when we get to the point that a woman doing something was so commonplace that it no longer made the news.

Her part in Cinderella is uncommon. Unprecedented. That's why it is news. If every Broadway production for the next 50 years featured a minority playing a role previously dominated by a whitey, it would still be news. That's because Liberals make it news as a flaunt and an affront. That's their style.

In all seriousness, she's stunning and I wish her success. My daughter is off to college at the end of this month to study dance, as she's been doing for the past 15 years. These young folks need encouragement and support, not to be held up in public as some kind of pioneer because of their race and not their talent.

My daughter is off to college at the end of this month to study dance, as she's been doing for the past 15 years.

OT: Is your daughter one of those types of young women who complains about gender wage disparity?

The script writers are have to make a few adjustment to certain lines in the play.

Such as, "Cinderella, Cinderella, let down your afro" and her suitor will now "Ax" for her hand in marriage. ..... :lol:

Actually that's Rapunzel, Aesop.

I hope she fails. The only way to put a stop to racism is to not reward it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Look, we can analyze this from number of different perspectives. The story is from a European heritage, first published in the late 17th Century. Princes, balls, ballgowns, etc all come from that heritage. Blacks didn't intersect with that world at that time.

Cinderella is the daughter of a widowed Prince. The internal cohesion of the story breaks down when we posit a 17th Century prince is black in a white society. It's not plausible from a story narrative perspective - this gimmick pulls the viewer out of the moment, it doesn't meet the condition of creating a plausible suspension of disbelief. Instead of the audience focusing on the play, they focus on the odd duck of a black princess Cinderella in a 17th Century European setting.

Playwrights can adapt an afro-centric story based on the Cinderella story and set it in an African society where we see African princes and African social mores and African balls and African styles of dress from the 17th Century but that's not what's happening here.

This story is pushing an ideological agenda that race substitution is no different than having one actress be 5'2" and her replacement being 5'6" - a physical change of no consequence, something that shouldn't be an issue to anyone but when a taller actress takes over from a shorter actress the producers aren't using their PR people to hype the fact and make it national news. The fact that they're hyping this story into overdrive signals that they believe that the race-substitution gimmick is a big deal. It's an agenda driven, rather than a story driven, decision. It's ideological. This then injects ideology/politics into what is a child's story. Anytime you politicize a topic you create division. There will be the race warriors who will cheer on this ideological decision and there will be the anti-racists who denounce it.

Then there's the business decision. Will overt racism be a good tool to boost box office? Who is the intended audience? Black girls will probably like it because it's a racist siren call for them. Art can take the form of organic stories focused on race - "Boyz in the Hood" is a good example. That movie had large cross-over appeal. It was a good movie because it focused on the stories of young black men in LA and the story just wouldn't work if the characters were whites who faced the same obstacles. Then there are the Madea movies which have little cross-over appeal because most of the stories are run of the mill and their only appeal to black audiences is that they are set in a predominantly black universe. Whites get the same stories all over the place, so there's nothing engaging about those movies. Putting a black actress into the role of Cinderella will appeal to black girls. Without racist casting, with a white actress, white girls attend Cinderella plays, and black girls and Asian girls and Hispanic girls, etc, just for the story - the race of the actress playing Cinderella is immaterial. Now with the gimmicked casting the race of Cinderella breaks the suspension of disbelief, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Doing Shakespeare where all the actors are nude is a gimmick move. Being a racist director is a gimmick move. These gimmicks don't ADD to the story, in fact they distract from the story - look at the hooters on Ophelia, look at the schlong on Hamlet, look at that black girl playing Cinderella.

"Blacks didn't intersect with Europe" in the 17th century?? Uh- ever hear of slavery?

Well before all that, Africans were in Europe; Portugal was doing intense trade with West Africa in the 15th. Africans were known to be living in Iberia, England and France. This guy was a nobleman in the Duchy of Brabant, what is now Belgium, early 16th century (page here):

Jan+Mostaert%27s+portrait+of+a+nobleman+guest+of+the+Queen+of+Austria+(early+1500%27s).jpg

More to the point, by your logic, is it wrong for white people to play jazz? It is after all an art form born of African culture and sensibility. How 'bout ragtime?

What about this guy? Is he "pushing an ideological agenda"?

Eric-Clapton.jpg

Can blue men sing the whites?

Last edited:
Keke Palmer To Be Broadway?s First Black Cinderella « CBS Miami

keke-palmer.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Like many girls, actress and singer Keke Palmer grew up dreaming of meeting a prince who would whisk her away to a life of love and happiness. In her case, it’s going to happen — eight shows a week on Broadway.

Palmer said she’ll be stepping into the title role in “Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella” starting Sept. 9 at the Broadway Theatre. She will become the first African-American to play the part on the Great White Way.

“It’s honestly one of those things that I can’t believe is really happening,” Palmer said by phone Friday from her Los Angeles home. “I’m very excited. Very excited and nervous as well — a bunch of feelings all at once.”

Palmer, 21, is stepping into the sparkly shoes first worn by Tony-nominated Laura Osnes, then put on by “Call Me Maybe” Canadian pop star Carly Rae Jepsen and currently worn by Paige Faure, who launches a national tour in the title role this fall.

Palmer, who will be making her professional stage debut, will rely on a host of skills she’s developed from film — including “Barbershop 2: Back in Business” and “Akeelah and the Bee” — her BET talk show, “Just Keke,” and on TV in Showtime’s “Masters of Sex.” Her albums include the 2007 CD “So Uncool” and a self-titled 2012 EP.

She has played Chili in “CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story” and starred in Nickelodeon’s “True Jackson, VP.” Palmer also appeared opposite Cicely Tyson and Vanessa Williams in Lifetime’s “A Trip to Bountiful,” which was nominated for an Emmy Award.

“She acts beautifully, she dances, she sings — she’s an amazing young woman,” Tony Award-winning producer Robyn Goodman said. “I think she’s going to be just so lovely.”

Since one of our KKK types got all bent about a black comic book super hero (don't remember which one), I thought some might be interested in this little story.

I wish her every success, as I'm sure others do as well.

Break a leg, Keke.

Shes beautiful, hope she does well. Anyway, If its a good show then, let the market place decide. Thats how its done in the USA

More to the point, by your logic, is it wrong for white people to play jazz? It is after all an art form born of African culture and sensibility. How 'bout ragtime?

Logic isn't your strong suit, huh? I have no problem with these guys and I never stated that I had any problem with blacks being authors and using the English language as the medium of communication, nor did I object to blacks being recording artists using instruments invented by whites or recording technology invented by whites, nor did I object to blacks being movie actors in a medium invented by whites.

Look, as soon as you declare that Edgar Winter is a fine choice to play Kunta Kinte or Nelson Mandela or MLK, Jr. or Oprah Winfrey or Michelle Obama, then I'll believe that race and gender are only social constructions.

Her part in Cinderella is uncommon. Unprecedented. That's why it is news. If every Broadway production for the next 50 years featured a minority playing a role previously dominated by a whitey, it would still be news. That's because Liberals make it news as a flaunt and an affront. That's their style.

In all seriousness, she's stunning and I wish her success. My daughter is off to college at the end of this month to study dance, as she's been doing for the past 15 years. These young folks need encouragement and support, not to be held up in public as some kind of pioneer because of their race and not their talent.

Agreed, people are overthinking this thinng way to much. Let the girl have some fun

Logic isn't your strong suit, huh? I have no problem with these guys and I never stated that I had any problem with blacks being authors and using the English language as the medium of communication, nor did I object to blacks being recording artists using instruments invented by whites or recording technology invented by whites, nor did I object to blacks being movie actors in a medium invented by whites.

Look, as soon as you declare that Edgar Winter is a fine choice to play Kunta Kinte or Nelson Mandela or MLK, Jr. or Oprah Winfrey or Michelle Obama, then I'll believe that race and gender are only social constructions.

Uh.... "invented by whites"??

Races invent things now? TMI dood....

Interesting that your first protest is about "heritage", then when met with a counter based on "heritage" suddenly you wanna switch to "inventions". By "whites". :rofl:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back