Fired for being too attractive.. why we need stronger worker protections!

She was fired because the wife was jealous of her, not because of texting.

No class protection exists for "those who are abused by bosses' spouses".

She was fired because the dentist's wife saw texts from the assistant on her husband's cell phone. They were innocent texts but it was a personal contact and she saw where this road was going. The pastor did not wake up one morning and think it was a good idea for this man to fire his assistant. Neither did the pastor contact this man out of the blue and tell him to fire his assistant.

I text my boss..who is a woman..all the time.

It's part of my job responsiblities.

If she needs to reach me..about say..covering the desk at off hours or an online production issue when I am not in the office..she sends me texts.

I should not be subject to getting fired because of that.

There should be.

And if this keeps up..there will be.

She wasn't fired for texting.

She wasn't fired for bad performance.

She was fired because a pastor suggested it might cause marital troubles in the future.

That's patently ridiculous.

She was fired because the dentist's wife saw texts from the assistant on her husband's cell phone. They were innocent texts but it was a personal contact and she saw where this road was going. The pastor did not wake up one morning and think it was a good idea for this man to fire his assistant. Neither did the pastor contact this man out of the blue and tell him to fire his assistant.

If she needs to reach me..about say..covering the desk at off hours or an online production issue when I am not in the office..she sends me texts.

A boss texting and asking how many orgasms you have is work related? Interesting place you work at.

I think the wife knew her husband well enough to know he had feelings for the assistant, so right or wrong she moved in to save her marriage.

If it came down to divorce or assistant? He decided wife is much better, he decided no divorce, quieter home life is better.

He owned the business, he makes the decision. Whether it was morally right or wrong, I have no clue, I don't have all the facts and neither does anyone on this board.

His decision was legal.

She wasn't fired for texting.

She wasn't fired for bad performance.

She was fired because a pastor suggested it might cause marital troubles in the future.

That's patently ridiculous.

The operative words are part of your job responsibilities. Because it is part of your job responsibilities doesn't mean that all jobs are equal and therefore texting is part of everyone's job responsibilities.

Most women would disagree with you. I will amend that: most married women. :lol:

She was fired because the wife was jealous of her, not because of texting.

No class protection exists for "those who are abused by bosses' spouses".

There should be.

And if this keeps up..there will be.

She's not hard on the eyes face wise... would like to see what the big deal was from the head down though. Sounds like a case of jealous wife syndrome to me....

Melissa-Nelson_zps5ecbc8df.jpg

It has been my personal experience on more than one occasion, that it is always the wife, that gets you sacked.

What to do about it? Grow a set. You will find a better job, or go into business for yourself. There is a solution to every problem. Live and learn. If this woman really wanted her job and not a lawsuit, she should have not been texting her boss for any reason, ( other than not being able to show for work on any given day ) and she should have respected his reasons to wear a lab coat. He signs her check; he is her boss.

She asked to lose her job. "Lousy choices, lousy life."

Last edited:
It has been my personal experience on more than one occasion, that it is always the wife, that gets you sacked.

What to do about it? Grow a set. You will find a better job, or go into business for yourself. There is a solution to every problem. Live and learn. If this woman really wanted her job and not a lawsuit, she should have not been texting her boss for any reason, ( other than not being able to show for work on any given day ) and she should have respected his reasons to wear a lab coat. He signs her check; he is her boss.

I agree, in order to survive and flourish she needed to forget this job and move on. She was not going to win and even if she did, her name would be tarnished in the community as it is now. Makes it tough on the job market. She should go into her own business.

At one point, Knight told Nelson that “if she saw his pants bulging, she would know her clothing was too revealing,” court records showed....:lmao:

This is not newsworthy in as much as it is hilarious. The wife worked in the same office...:lol:

Isn't the woman being discriminated against because she doesn't look like, for example, Hillary?

The women wanted the job of W-I-F-E, but, that job was already filled. She is a bimbo and the current wife is a loon. The dentist is a fool, he should have opened a second office.

I agree, in order to survive and flourish she needed to forget this job and move on. She was not going to win and even if she did, her name would be tarnished in the community as it is now. Makes it tough on the job market. She should go into her own business.

It takes resources to open your own business. In America, the "Free Market" is gamed so that it's very tough for new businesses to get off the ground.

Funny enough though..that's not the case in places like Thailand. You want to open a new business, you simply decide what you want to sell and set up shop. No licenses required. Copyrights? Patents? Phooey..they don't care about those.

Open up and do what you want.

:D

Isn't the woman being discriminated against because she doesn't look like, for example, Hillary?

The women wanted the job of W-I-F-E, but, that job was already filled. She is a bimbo and the current wife is a loon. The dentist is a fool, he should have opened a second office.

Yeah, that's it. Just make stuff up to show what an idiot you are.

This is lovely. I'd like to hear one of our "Business Uber Alles" types defend this shit.

‘Irresistible’ Iowa woman fired for being too sexy | Inquirer News

An “irresistible” Iowa dental assistant fired for threatening her boss’s marriage – even though she turned away his advances – has lost her discrimination lawsuit.
Melissa Nelson, who is married with children, had worked for James Knight for 10 years before his wife complained about his infatuation with her.
Nelson told the court that she had seen Knight as a father figure and a man of “integrity” who generally treated her with respect.
But about nine years into the job, Knight started to complain that her clothes were “distracting” because they “accentuated her body,” and he sometimes asked her to cover up with her lab coat.
And at one point when Knight discussed infrequency in Nelson’s sex life, he told her “that’s like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it.”

Knight’s wife, who also worked in the dental office, put her foot down when she discovered the two were texting each other.
After meeting with their pastor, Knight agreed to fire Nelson because she was a “big threat to our marriage.”

actually, i don't think it was because she was "too attractive" i think it was because the boss is a hound.

Yeah, that's it. Just make stuff up to show what an idiot you are.

That is my opinion. Should you have actual knowledge I would welcome a response otherwise go back to playing with yourself.

Last edited:
This is lovely. I'd like to hear one of our "Business Uber Alles" types defend this shit.

‘Irresistible’ Iowa woman fired for being too sexy | Inquirer News

An “irresistible” Iowa dental assistant fired for threatening her boss’s marriage – even though she turned away his advances – has lost her discrimination lawsuit.
Melissa Nelson, who is married with children, had worked for James Knight for 10 years before his wife complained about his infatuation with her.
Nelson told the court that she had seen Knight as a father figure and a man of “integrity” who generally treated her with respect.
But about nine years into the job, Knight started to complain that her clothes were “distracting” because they “accentuated her body,” and he sometimes asked her to cover up with her lab coat.
And at one point when Knight discussed infrequency in Nelson’s sex life, he told her “that’s like having a Lamborghini in the garage and never driving it.”

Knight’s wife, who also worked in the dental office, put her foot down when she discovered the two were texting each other.
After meeting with their pastor, Knight agreed to fire Nelson because she was a “big threat to our marriage.”

actually, i don't think it was because she was "too attractive" i think it was because the boss is a hound.
They are both at fault here. They both engaged in the texting, they both were involved an an extra-office relationship. It sounds like the dentist got caught and he was trying to appease his wife.

It takes resources to open your own business. In America, the "Free Market" is gamed so that it's very tough for new businesses to get off the ground.

Funny enough though..that's not the case in places like Thailand. You want to open a new business, you simply decide what you want to sell and set up shop. No licenses required. Copyrights? Patents? Phooey..they don't care about those.

The woman can become an independent contractor selling goods or services, such as insurance or dental supplies. The overhead is low, the hours set by the independent contractor and the "dress code" is at one's discretion.

The woman can become an independent contractor selling goods or services, such as insurance or dental supplies. The overhead is low, the hours set by the independent contractor and the "dress code" is at one's discretion.

Really now.

She can do that without a business license? Or incorporating?

Do tell.

Really now.

Do tell.

Here is a typical listing. Should this not be what you want let me know and we can discuss further. An independent contractor is not required to to be incorporated, if they wish to a, subchapter S corporation would do. In the case of insurance she would most likely have to be licensed which entails taking an exam regarding various insurance products.

"Sales Insurance Agent
American Family Insurance 95 reviews - Tacoma, WA

A fantastic opportunity now exists to join the American Family Team! American Family Insurance wants to make your experience with us easy and convenient. Our approximately 3,500 independent contractor agents are local, knowledgeable and trusted advisors. They get to know you like family. Due to the growth of our business, we are searching for driven, motivated, and hard working Sales Agents to join our team.

As an insurance agent operating as an independent contractor, you will be representing American Family Insurance products exclusively.

The American Family Insurance Agents duties may include but are not limited to:

• Successfully start and operate a business with state of the art technology
  • Responsible for building relationships within your community
  • Create and enhance your own professional development
  • Owner and manager of your agency
  • Grow your business by hiring your own support and sales staff

What American Family Insurance Offers Agents

• UNLIMITED INCOME POTENTIAL
  • Personal satisfaction from helping others
  • Extensive training and support
  • Incentive programs and bonuses
  • Financial support to assist you in your office selection, office expenses, and staff payroll
  • Personal and professional recognition
  • Be rewarded for the success that you achieve
  • Help with locating and staffing your office
  • Financial support early on
  • Marketing support throughout your career
  • Training and support is offered by American Family Insurance to new agents *
Training consists of educational and field experiences designed to provide the core skills, knowledge and personal characteristics needed to be an effective American Family Agent

Requirements/Qualifications

• Competitive spirit
  • Self-motivated personality
  • Strong communication skills
  • Ability to achieve results
  • Customer service and sales focused
  • Acceptable driving record and credit history
  • Criminal background check is also required
  • Process consists of: being interviewed, going through various background checks, and obtaining your Property, Casualty, Life and Health Insurance licenses
"

Really now.

Do tell.

Here is a typical listing. Should this not be what you want let me know and we can discuss further. An independent contractor is not required to to be incorporated, if they wish to a, subchapter S corporation would do. In the case of insurance she would most likely have to be licensed which entails taking an exam regarding various insurance products.

"Sales Insurance Agent

A fantastic opportunity now exists to join the American Family Team! American Family Insurance wants to make your experience with us easy and convenient. Our approximately 3,500 independent contractor agents are local, knowledgeable and trusted advisors. They get to know you like family. Due to the growth of our business, we are searching for driven, motivated, and hard working Sales Agents to join our team.

As an insurance agent operating as an independent contractor, you will be representing American Family Insurance products exclusively.

• Financial support to assist you in your office selection, office expenses, and staff payroll
Training consists of educational and field experiences designed to provide the core skills, knowledge and personal characteristics needed to be an effective American Family Agent

• Competitive spirit
  • Process consists of: being interviewed, going through various background checks, and obtaining your Property, Casualty, Life and Health Insurance licenses
"

Generally what they typically don't list in those things are that they provide the training and take the "cost" out later.

Also..you have to establish your customer base, often by making cold calls.

And it's not really a "business" you start up by yourself. It's more of a franchise you buy into. And you are still dependent on their product.

So in essence you are an employee without the perks.

Really now.

Do tell.

"Sales Insurance Agent

• Competitive spirit
"

Generally what they typically don't list in those things are that they provide the training and take the "cost" out later.

And it's not really a "business" you start up by yourself. It's more of a franchise you buy into. And you are still dependent on their product.

Any business generally requires that one needs to generate clients, it is not a franchise by any means. Further, the tax treatment for an independent contractor and an employee are quite different. How the work is performed is also a factor as is control over the one performing the work.

"Common Law Rules

Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence fall into three categories:

Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job?
Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.)
Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business?

Businesses must weigh all these factors when determining whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor. Some factors may indicate that the worker is an employee, while other factors indicate that the worker is an independent contractor. There is no “magic” or set number of factors that “makes” the worker an employee or an independent contractor, and no one factor stands alone in making this determination. Also, factors which are relevant in one situation may not be relevant in another.

The keys are to look at the entire relationship, consider the degree or extent of the right to direct and control, and finally, to document each of the factors used in coming up with the determination."
Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?

"Sales Insurance Agent

• Competitive spirit
"

Any business generally requires that one needs to generate clients, it is not a franchise by any means. Further, the tax treatment for an independent contractor and an employee are quite different. How the work is performed is also a factor as is control over the one performing the work.

"Common Law Rules

Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence fall into three categories:

Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job?
Financial: Are the business aspects of the worker’s job controlled by the payer? (these include things like how worker is paid, whether expenses are reimbursed, who provides tools/supplies, etc.)
Type of Relationship: Are there written contracts or employee type benefits (i.e. pension plan, insurance, vacation pay, etc.)? Will the relationship continue and is the work performed a key aspect of the business?

Businesses must weigh all these factors when determining whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor. Some factors may indicate that the worker is an employee, while other factors indicate that the worker is an independent contractor. There is no “magic” or set number of factors that “makes” the worker an employee or an independent contractor, and no one factor stands alone in making this determination. Also, factors which are relevant in one situation may not be relevant in another.

The keys are to look at the entire relationship, consider the degree or extent of the right to direct and control, and finally, to document each of the factors used in coming up with the determination."
Independent Contractor (Self-Employed) or Employee?

So..you have basically proved my point.

Danke.

Forum List

Back