Delta fined $50K for 'discriminatory' removal of three Muslim passengers

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
It's unfortunate when the racist, bigoted behavior of a company's employees or customers ends up tarnishing it's name/brand.

The airline told NBC News, "We disagree with the Department of Transportation's contention that Delta engaged in discriminatory conduct."
190816-delta-airplanes-jfk-2014-ac-621p_e7be1daab839552da169e563da300c9e.fit-760w.jpg

Delta planes at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York in 2014.Andrew Burton / Getty Images file

Jan. 25, 2020, 10:56 AM PST
By Nicole Acevedo

Delta Air Lines has been fined $50,000 for "discriminatory conduct" in the removal of three Muslim passengers from two flights in 2016, the U.S. Department of Transportation said.

A consent order released by the Transportation Department on Friday says Delta violated the law "when it removed and denied re-boarding" to the Muslim passengers.

The order also requires Delta to provide cultural-sensitivity training to all cabin crew members and customer service staff involved in both cases.

The airline for its part said it could have handled both incidents better but disagreed that its conduct was discriminatory.

The first incident occurred on July 26, 2016, when a Muslim married couple boarded a flight in Paris, France to return to their home in Cincinnati, Ohio. The wife "was wearing a head scarf" at the time.

A fellow passenger told a flight attendant the couple made her “very uncomfortable and nervous” because she saw the husband insert "something plastic into his watch" and do "something with it." The passenger described the couple, who are U.S. citizens, as “fidgety, nervous, and sweating,” according to the consent order.

Flight attendants also told the plane's captain they saw the husband "texting on his cell phone using the word 'Allah' several times" and raised concerns over him not smiling after their making eye contact with him. The captain then asked security officers to remove the passengers from the plane for additional vetting, the Transportation Department said.

The captain later refused to let the couple re-board the plane, after they were interviewed and cleared, because the flight attendants were "uncomfortable" having the couple on the flight, the order said.

If it weren't for the couple's "perceived religion, Delta would not have removed or denied them re-boarding," the order said.

The second incident occurred five days later on July 31, 2016, when a Muslim man boarded a flight from Amsterdam, Netherlands, to New York City.

Passengers at the departing gate told Delta’s flight crew they observed the man making “significant eye contact” and later speaking with a person of similar ethnicity in the gate area. The person he spoke to didn't board the plane and appeared to have given him a small package, according to the Transportation Department's investigation.

At the captain's request the flight's First Officer walked through the cabin but "observed nothing remarkable" about the passenger. Delta Corporate Security also informed the captain that the man's record showed “no red flags.”

The captain proceeded to begin departure but later "returned to the gate" because "the flight attendants expressed, without any intervening incident, that they remained uncomfortable," according to the order.

The Transportation Department found the man was not subjected to additional security screening prior to being relocated on another flight, leading the agency to conclude that his removal "was discriminatory."

Delta disagrees with the federal department's characterization of their actions as "discriminatory."

The airline told NBC News in a statement that its "best customer service was not reflected" in how the incidents were handled, but "we disagree with the Department of Transportation's contention that Delta engaged in discriminatory conduct."

Delta said it has "worked to improve our investigative process since these incidents and we have supporting programs, policies, training and procedures that back up our commitments in this area.” 

The company also said in a statement in the consent order, that it is "a global airline that serves customers of all races, ethnicities, and religious affiliations ... Delta stands by its record as an airline where all are welcome, and unlawful discrimination of any kind is not tolerated."

It's unfortunate when the racist, bigoted behavior of a company's employees or customers ends up tarnishing it's name/brand.

The airline told NBC News, "We disagree with the Department of Transportation's contention that Delta engaged in discriminatory conduct."
190816-delta-airplanes-jfk-2014-ac-621p_e7be1daab839552da169e563da300c9e.fit-760w.jpg

Delta planes at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York in 2014.Andrew Burton / Getty Images file

Jan. 25, 2020, 10:56 AM PST
By Nicole Acevedo

Delta Air Lines has been fined $50,000 for "discriminatory conduct" in the removal of three Muslim passengers from two flights in 2016, the U.S. Department of Transportation said.

A consent order released by the Transportation Department on Friday says Delta violated the law "when it removed and denied re-boarding" to the Muslim passengers.

The order also requires Delta to provide cultural-sensitivity training to all cabin crew members and customer service staff involved in both cases.

The airline for its part said it could have handled both incidents better but disagreed that its conduct was discriminatory.

The first incident occurred on July 26, 2016, when a Muslim married couple boarded a flight in Paris, France to return to their home in Cincinnati, Ohio. The wife "was wearing a head scarf" at the time.

A fellow passenger told a flight attendant the couple made her “very uncomfortable and nervous” because she saw the husband insert "something plastic into his watch" and do "something with it." The passenger described the couple, who are U.S. citizens, as “fidgety, nervous, and sweating,” according to the consent order.

Flight attendants also told the plane's captain they saw the husband "texting on his cell phone using the word 'Allah' several times" and raised concerns over him not smiling after their making eye contact with him. The captain then asked security officers to remove the passengers from the plane for additional vetting, the Transportation Department said.

The captain later refused to let the couple re-board the plane, after they were interviewed and cleared, because the flight attendants were "uncomfortable" having the couple on the flight, the order said.

If it weren't for the couple's "perceived religion, Delta would not have removed or denied them re-boarding," the order said.

The second incident occurred five days later on July 31, 2016, when a Muslim man boarded a flight from Amsterdam, Netherlands, to New York City.

Passengers at the departing gate told Delta’s flight crew they observed the man making “significant eye contact” and later speaking with a person of similar ethnicity in the gate area. The person he spoke to didn't board the plane and appeared to have given him a small package, according to the Transportation Department's investigation.

At the captain's request the flight's First Officer walked through the cabin but "observed nothing remarkable" about the passenger. Delta Corporate Security also informed the captain that the man's record showed “no red flags.”

The captain proceeded to begin departure but later "returned to the gate" because "the flight attendants expressed, without any intervening incident, that they remained uncomfortable," according to the order.

The Transportation Department found the man was not subjected to additional security screening prior to being relocated on another flight, leading the agency to conclude that his removal "was discriminatory."

Delta disagrees with the federal department's characterization of their actions as "discriminatory."

The airline told NBC News in a statement that its "best customer service was not reflected" in how the incidents were handled, but "we disagree with the Department of Transportation's contention that Delta engaged in discriminatory conduct."

Delta said it has "worked to improve our investigative process since these incidents and we have supporting programs, policies, training and procedures that back up our commitments in this area.” 

The company also said in a statement in the consent order, that it is "a global airline that serves customers of all races, ethnicities, and religious affiliations ... Delta stands by its record as an airline where all are welcome, and unlawful discrimination of any kind is not tolerated."

So much for all that talk years ago from the government about folks needing to be alert and proactive to keep the homeland safe. Now it's speak up about anything you see that looks out of place and risk getting sued.

If we gonna profile Muslims boarding planes....we should profile whites in schools, churches, work places, around kids, and so much more. Every time I turn on the TV there is a white person going on a mass shootings, kidnapped a kid, or shot an entire family. I CAN'T remember last time a Muslim commuted something in the US that we need to alarmed about.

If we gonna profile Muslims boarding planes....we should profile whites in schools, churches, work places, around kids, and so much more. Every time I turn on the TV there is a white person going on a mass shootings, kidnapped a kid, or shot an entire family. I CAN'T remember last time a Muslim commuted something in the US that we need to alarmed about.

Guess you can't remember September, 11, 2001, then JACKASS? 2,000 Americans died in a fiery hell? Jog any dead brain cells in you?

Why should we profile whites in these places when this is a predominantly WHITE nation?

If everytime you turn on your TV all you see is another white person doing a mass shooting or kidnapping, maybe you just need a new TV. Or a brain.

Remember that leftists companies also have to "bake the cake". Somehow currently they believe it is a one way street. Trump needs to enact new laws making it illegal to ban and demonetize people on social media platforms for political views.

Ban muslims and anything coming out of oriental lands from planes

View attachment 302585
it's funny how you racists use the same terms....few of the racists I came across they call asians orientals lol.....do you guys go to the same hatred school? Rush? Fauxnews?
Asian is too broad of a term for an ethnic description because Asians can be Caucasian or mongoloid.
Northwest Orient and the Orient Express didn’t seem to have a problem with the description.
The truth is Marxist fascist ideology and its restrictive hijacking of language have you and your ilk duped. You need to learn tolerance, context and perspective.

View attachment 302585
it's funny how you racists use the same terms....few of the racists I came across they call asians orientals lol.....do you guys go to the same hatred school? Rush? Fauxnews?

I thought private companies can do whatever they want. Turns out not... and the leftists are going to find this the hard way.

It's a hysterical amount of projection when a leftist claims others are racist. Did you hear the new Warren plan to choose her cabinet only based on race and gender? What about the lecturing specifically to white people on the democrat debate stage?

Let every demographic in the country decide who needs to be most profiled. I bet the results wont be to your liking though. For example, who do you think asians would profile most? White people? Pff... :laugh:

View attachment 302585
Asian is too broad of a term for an ethnic description because Asians can be Caucasian or mongoloid.
Northwest Orient and the Orient Express didn’t seem to have a problem with the description.
The truth is Marxist fascist ideology and its restrictive hijacking of language have you and your ilk duped. You need to learn tolerance, context and perspective.

Everything's wacist

He doesnt even know to slant eyes oriental just means " an object "
From a white western view it can be attached to an object but it also separates the yellow man from the 3rd world brown savages that also occupy the continent

Dirty chinks will kill us all with thier mutant diseases
Whenever I travelled through china I was always scared of getting sick ....eating ...I would eat raw garlic every day ...my stomach would churn but fuck parasites

And for the love of Mike theyre failing so hard in the senate they've started screaming wacist.....they did that to Brett Kavanaugh or however ya spell his name

Friggin commies they're so full of shit ...morons the lot of em
7f1s9rsrf0d41.jpg

Then you are an idiot.

This is a very serious problem.

Maybe there is no solution.

Most Americans probably feel uncomfortable complaining about fellow passengers because of their clothing and assumed religious background.

On the other hand, all plane hijackers have been people of a certain religion. So it is human that other passengers might feel suspicious.

I have no solution.

Maybe (as another poster has suggested), the airlines should just issue the prefunctory apology and pay the fine.

Last edited:
I agree with President Obama's administration directing all government agencies to use the word "Asian" in government documents.

Over the years, the word "Oriental" has taken on sinister connotations.

There is no need to go out of one's way to offend people.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the word "oriental" became a pejorative term for asian people?

Historians for decades used "occidental" to differentiate white people from "oriental" yellow people when writing about Europeans in Asia. ... :cool:

Or ******* everywhere. My god they rape, murder and steal and rates 200% their population.

For the life of me I can't figure out why the word "oriental" became a pejorative term for asian people?

Historians for decades used "occidental" to differentiate white people from "oriental" yellow people when writing about Europeans in Asia. ... :cool:

Libs making up shit, to distract from the real issues.

Forum List

Back