‘Finding Dory’: Will It Create an Ecological Disaster?

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Ellen DeGeneres just jokingly tweeted a (clearly photoshopped) logo for "Finding Dory 2" with the message, "Too soon?"

Real fish fans might think so.

"Finding Nemo" didn't exactly find lots of admirers among animal lovers, eco activists and scientists. After all, misguided movie lovers raced to acquire Nemo-esque clownfish as pets; others sought to liberate their existing fish by flushing them down the loo or dumping them in the ocean. Moreover, increased demand eventually put those poor little clownfish at risk of full on extinction.

But this time around, as its sequel has been announced, everything seems honky Dory … for the most part.
"PETA believes that Ellen DeGeneres, a vegan and an animal protector, will serve as a positive example for children and families as the star of 'Finding Dory,'" the organization told Yahoo! Movies in a statement. (It's worth noting that DeGeneres was named PETA's Woman of the Year in 2009.)

The animal-loving nonprofit organization put a positive spin on their cautionary message to the public: "In the film, Dory will be reunited with her loved ones, and we hope that theme will inspire the film's fans to view fish as friends, not food, and remind everyone that fish like Dory should be permitted to live in peace with their families, rather than being captured and forced to live in a microcosm of their natural world -- a tank or an aquarium -- separated from everyone and almost everything that is a part of who they are."

PETA did praise Disney when "Nemo" first came out in 2003 for relaying the "friends, not food" message back then as well.

But it's clear that experts don't want everyone rushing out to buy Dory-like blue tang for their at-home tanks, especially if they wind up having a change of heart and try to flush or dump their finny friends in an effort to help them.

Movie Pictures | Movie Posters - Yahoo! Movies

Seriously though, I had a blue tang back when I had a salt water tank. Probably almost 20 years ago. they are a very hardy fish and can be easily kept by the casual aquarium owner. When i gave up my tank, I gave the tang to an aquarium store.

Blue tangs, yellow tangs, they are both beautiful and easy to care for.

Seriously though, I had a blue tang back when I had a salt water tank. Probably almost 20 years ago. they are a very hardy fish and can be easily kept by the casual aquarium owner. When i gave up my tank, I gave the tang to an aquarium store.

Blue tangs, yellow tangs, they are both beautiful and easy to care for.

I have never tried to keep a saltwater tank. Afraid I would kill the fish, then I would feel bad. I have had a goldfish in a tank that is going on 6/7 years old. They will live long lives if you keep them healthy.

Before reading this article...I didn't realize that "aquarium fish -- like the ones depicted in "Nemo" (and, hence, "Dory") -- are being thrust upon the open ocean in droves, disrupting marine ecosystems." Although it doesn't really surprise me...they just recently had a python hunt ridding the everglades of dumped snakes that were talking over the ecosystem there.

Since PETA is praising this movie...I'm assuming it has a environmental message hidden in it?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back