Fewer Young Voters See Themselves as Democrats

When was the last time a Republican President balanced the budget?

When did anyone ever balance the federal budget?---:cuckoo:
LBJ balanced the budget in 1969 and Clinton did it from 1998-2001.

There have been 5 budget surpluses in the last 40 years - 1969, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

All 5 occured with Democrats in the White House - "tax and spend Democrats" doesn't seem to correspond with the facts!

:whip:

LBJ took Freddy and Fannie off budget to hide his Vietnam war and Great Society spending , Clinton had to work with a GOP Congress and gridlock set in....Gridlock is good!:cool:

There have been 5 budget surpluses in the last 40 years - 1969, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

All 5 occured with Democrats in the White House - "tax and spend Democrats" doesn't seem to correspond with the facts!

The president neither writes nor balances the budget. The budget is written by Congress. The president either approves it or vetoes it. I can't speak for 1969, but during the Clinton administration the Republicans wrote the budget and Clinton approved it. The credit goes to both, however, the budget surpluses spoken about are really a myth as the Congress simply transferred the money from intergovernmental holdings in order to balance the budget.

What republican president or congress has reduced govt?
They all talk about it but grow the govt while they are in there.

Government was reduced under Clinton and the Republican Congress. If the same thing happens after this election Obama can take credit for it, and people like you can ignore that it was a result of the conservative, small government, uprising among voters.

When was the last time a Republican President balanced the budget?

There was a Democrat in the White House in 2001? Does that mean we can blame all of this on Clinton instead of Bush? I am also sure that the Republicans will be glad to let you guys have Nixon.

The problem with being a partisan hack is you often forget to fact check your own post so it does not contradict what you are saying.

There was a Democrat in the White House in 2001? Does that mean we can blame all of this on Clinton instead of Bush? I am also sure that the Republicans will be glad to let you guys have Nixon.

The problem with being a partisan hack is you often forget to fact check your own post so it does not contradict what you are saying.

??? The 2001 budget was the last balanced budget we had, and was done under Clinton. You do know that the FY 2001 began in October 2000.

The president neither writes nor balances the budget. The budget is written by Congress. The president either approves it or vetoes it. I can't speak for 1969, but during the Clinton administration the Republicans wrote the budget and Clinton approved it. The credit goes to both, however, the budget surpluses spoken about are really a myth as the Congress simply transferred the money from intergovernmental holdings in order to balance the budget.

In practice, the various agencies submit a budget request to congress, along with a by-pass budget, i.e. a wish list. Congress than either gives them more or less what they request. Now the only item I recall the GOP congress cutting was Clinton's request for more counter-terrorism money.

This is pretty astounding considering our Universities are dominated by 60's radical Left Wing lunatics. All that indoctrination yet the kids know better. Brain Washing doesn't always work. This is proof.

This is pretty astounding considering our Universities are dominated by 60's radical Left Wing lunatics. All that indoctrination yet the kids know better. Brain Washing doesn't always work. This is proof.

Do you have evidence that universities are "dominated" by '60s radical left wing lunatics, or is that just more of that right wing, anti-intellectualism that you hear day in and day out on hate radio?

Do you have evidence that universities are "dominated" by '60s radical left wing lunatics, or is that just more of that right wing, anti-intellectualism that you hear day in and day out on hate radio?

Yea our Universities aren't dominated by Left Wing Loons. lol! Seriously though,get out more. Our Universities have become nothing more than radical Leftist indoctrination camps. It is good to see more & more young people bucking the system though. I'm encouraged.

Ever been in a faculty lounge when a prof, grading papers, starts howling in laughter? He/she has just caught a student who ticked 'em off by expressing the WRONG opinions in a foul up that justifies at least a grade reduction of two -- A becomes C -- and there goes the twit's GPA.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE seen it -- with my own eyes. Rhetorical precept PRIMARY SURVIVAL: do NOT tick off your audience -- especially if the audience has the power of a) the police state; b) mob riots; c) a job with a paycheck; or d) the power of the red ink pen.

When was the last time YOU called YOUR boss a fucking idiot with his stupid nose up his fat butt? Or a current spouse, ditto

Same principle applies.

??? The 2001 budget was the last balanced budget we had, and was done under Clinton. You do know that the FY 2001 began in October 2000.

The 2001 budget was not really balanced, even if I did forget that it passed in 2000. thanks for catching me on that one.

The 2001 budget was not really balanced, even if I did forget that it passed in 2000. thanks for catching me on that one.

You're right, it wasn't balance. It showed a surplus, using the unified budget accounting method in place since 1966.

Ever been in a faculty lounge when a prof, grading papers, starts howling in laughter? He/she has just caught a student who ticked 'em off by expressing the WRONG opinions in a foul up that justifies at least a grade reduction of two -- A becomes C -- and there goes the twit's GPA.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE seen it -- with my own eyes. Rhetorical precept PRIMARY SURVIVAL: do NOT tick off your audience -- especially if the audience has the power of a) the police state; b) mob riots; c) a job with a paycheck; or d) the power of the red ink pen.

When was the last time YOU called YOUR boss a fucking idiot with his stupid nose up his fat butt? Or a current spouse, ditto

Same principle applies.

You're going to love, just love and adore the 3 thread I'm bringing back up here after Labor Day. I'm giving Progressives time to study and come up with facts to counter what we now know about:

1) FDR's Imaginary Greatness. The New Deal never ended the Great Depression. The data set is in my sign line and there has not been a single substantive response other than accepting that a 15% unemployment after 5 whole years is "great" Can you imagine? That's after pointing out that Harding dropped unemployment from 12 down to 3 in under 2 years!

2) Joe McCarthy American Patriot and Hero. If anything Sen. McCarthy vastly UNDERSTATED the infiltration by Communist spies and Quislings at State. So far the responses have sounded like "you're a mean poopyhead just like McCarthy!" to "What's so bad about a little spying between allies" and "McCarthy's HUAC drove Zero Mostel into hiding" Hysterical!

3) LBJ as Racist. Oh, the things he said! As recently as 1967 he's on record calling Thurgood Marshall a ******. That's right, the Lib Civil Rights Hero first tried to quash Ike's Civil Rights Bill then after he passed Ike's as his own, he's calling his own SCOTUS pick a ****** -- in 1967!

The best part is how totally unarmed Progressives are. It's a thing of beauty to see how they avoid mentioning anything substantive because they've been outright lying all these years and when you call them on it its like the Wicked Witch (Jillian, for example) in a rain shower.

The New York Times > Log In

Yep, I can vouch for that.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The college vote is up for grabs this year — to an extent that would have seemed unlikely two years ago, when a generation of young people seemed to swoon over Barack Obama.

Though many students are liberals on social issues, the economic reality of a weak job market has taken a toll on their loyalties: far fewer 18- to 29-year-olds now identify themselves as Democrats compared with 2008.

“Is the recession, which is hitting young people very hard, doing lasting or permanent damage to what looked like a good Democratic advantage with this age group?” asked Scott Keeter, the director of survey research at the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan group. “The jury is still out.”

Don't believe it. Plus the article says the jury is still out. I highly doubt a majority of college students will vote republican next time. For one students are a lot of socially liberal these days.

Obama will still get a majority of the under-25 vote in 2012. The GOP's once-every-two-years regurgitation of electoral biblethumping hurts them in this age demographic. General rule is that young people are liberal and old people are conservative. I think there's a Churchill quote that says something to that effect.

The New York Times > Log In

Yep, I can vouch for that.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The college vote is up for grabs this year — to an extent that would have seemed unlikely two years ago, when a generation of young people seemed to swoon over Barack Obama.

Though many students are liberals on social issues, the economic reality of a weak job market has taken a toll on their loyalties: far fewer 18- to 29-year-olds now identify themselves as Democrats compared with 2008.

“Is the recession, which is hitting young people very hard, doing lasting or permanent damage to what looked like a good Democratic advantage with this age group?” asked Scott Keeter, the director of survey research at the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan group. “The jury is still out.”
Following the link in the article, the Democrats still have a 54% to 40% edge, although less than 2008. The college student vote has never been very dependable for either party.

I think Republicans should be paying a little more attention to the long term future of the party rather than just the next election. For a number of years young voters have shown a clear preference for the Democrats. Republicans can only hope that these voters will see the error of their ways. The rapid growth in the Latin-Americans population, who also show a preference for the Democrats are another problem. The disparity between rich an poor which has been growing for many years does not bode well for Republicans. Policies that weaken unions, give tax breaks to wealthy, and cutbacks in social programs will certainly not win the votes of the poor.

You're right, it wasn't balance. It showed a surplus, using the unified budget accounting method in place since 1966.

The national debt increased by $133 billion in fiscal year 2001.

You can get the data here.

A budget surplus is not managed by changes of values of assets and liablities, it's managed by revenues and expenditures. Nice try at moving the goal posts.

Forum List

Back