Fewer Young Voters See Themselves as Democrats

Tom Clancy

Clancy for Ron Paul
May 23, 2009
North Carolina.
The New York Times > Log In

Yep, I can vouch for that.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The college vote is up for grabs this year — to an extent that would have seemed unlikely two years ago, when a generation of young people seemed to swoon over Barack Obama.

Though many students are liberals on social issues, the economic reality of a weak job market has taken a toll on their loyalties: far fewer 18- to 29-year-olds now identify themselves as Democrats compared with 2008.

“Is the recession, which is hitting young people very hard, doing lasting or permanent damage to what looked like a good Democratic advantage with this age group?” asked Scott Keeter, the director of survey research at the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan group. “The jury is still out.”

Most youngsters grow out of the libertarian phase.
Reality sets in.
I have seen it happen time and again in my lifetime.

Most youngsters grow out of the libertarian phase.
Reality sets in.
I have seen it happen time and again in my lifetime.

It's true.

But I know a few self described "Libertarians", most of the people I know describe themselves as Republicans or Dems. It's about 50/50. And I live in a Red State. well, sort of.

Youngster might be starting to figure out how government spending is fucking them

If you don't work for the government besides the military, or are a dependent of a government worker, why on Earth would any sane person vote Democrat? Unless they hate the concept of government reform?

It is a sick world, who knows.............

What republican president or congress has reduced govt?
They all talk about it but grow the govt while they are in there.

The New York Times > Log In

Yep, I can vouch for that.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — The college vote is up for grabs this year — to an extent that would have seemed unlikely two years ago, when a generation of young people seemed to swoon over Barack Obama.

Though many students are liberals on social issues, the economic reality of a weak job market has taken a toll on their loyalties: far fewer 18- to 29-year-olds now identify themselves as Democrats compared with 2008.

“Is the recession, which is hitting young people very hard, doing lasting or permanent damage to what looked like a good Democratic advantage with this age group?” asked Scott Keeter, the director of survey research at the Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan group. “The jury is still out.”

Being a 3rd generation native of Colorado and knowing that CSU is our "state" college. The majority of these kids grew up in Colorado and it is very much unlike Boulder or CU--where students are very liberal and the majority of this university comes from out of state.

To REMIND everyone Colorado is typically a solid RED state--and the "only" time it turned blue was for Barack Obama.

Right now--we are expecting a win for Ken Buck--R to replace Michael Bennet--D in the senate--and our governors race has turned into a disaster for republicans--as the republican candidate--Dan Maes--looks to be a fraud-so-we we expect a democrat win for governor.

So--I guess what I am trying to say is that most of these college kids that were polled are mainly coming from conservative values from their parents.

Now--if we see a university in MASS--that polls their students and their students are complaining about this liberal big spending insanity--then we probably have something to cheer about.

And as we all know--kids are indoctrinated into the liberal column from when they hit kindergarden and up. It's very hard to get them to change their minds--until they get out in the real world and figure it out themselves.

QUESTION: When was the last time a Republican President balanced the budget?

ANSWER: Dwight Eisenhower was last Republican President to preside over a balanced budget. He had a balanced budget in 1956 and 1957

Last edited:
When was the last time a Republican President balanced the budget?

When did anyone ever balance the federal budget?---:cuckoo:
LBJ balanced the budget in 1969 and Clinton did it from 1998-2001.

There have been 5 budget surpluses in the last 40 years - 1969, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

All 5 occured with Democrats in the White House - "tax and spend Democrats" doesn't seem to correspond with the facts!

:whip:

and why the Republican Party is going through a massive Civil War to return to it's roots. When Republicans became Democrats, this nation's government became a corporate thief.

Looks like they are more libertarian in their views and as far as "growing out of it", all it is is what some might call an "old right" conservative, I'm 49 and very "libertarian" but 30 years ago, I was called a "staunch conservative" with the very same overall views.

Forum List

Back