Felix wins Cy Young

I'm so glad about this.

I really thought they were going to waste it and give it to CC simply because he had the sexy record.

This dude deserved every vote he got.

I'm so glad about this.

I really thought they were going to waste it and give it to CC simply because he had the sexy record.

Yup.

It's good to see that baseball writers have abandoned win total as a basis for the Cy Young.

I'm so glad about this.

Yup.

It's good to see that baseball writers have abandoned win total as a basis for the Cy Young.

I'm sure you heard or read about Joe Morgan's take? :lol:

I'm so glad about this.

Yup.

The recently axed from the booth Joe Morgan? I try real hard to tune that dude out. I'm gonna assume it's something moronic.

Yup.

The recently axed from the booth Joe Morgan? I try real hard to tune that dude out. I'm gonna assume it's something moronic.

Yeah. He tries to make the case for CC or Price because of their win totals.

Here's the meat and potatoes:

People are saying (Felix) Hernandez should win. I'm not saying he shouldn't. But how are you going to judge what he would have done if he was on the Yankees. It's tougher to pitch for the Yankees and win or the Twins than it is Seattle. All individual awards are team awards. My MVP awards were won because my team helped me. … I think the problem I have, though, with some statistics is we start to individualize the players. I don't want that. It's still a team game. ... When you start to individualize things like that, it takes away the team concept from the game. It's like a pitcher who goes out and pitches five innings every game and doesn't give up anything. Is he better than the guy who pitches nine innings and loses one every once in a while? The guy who pitches nine innings helps the bullpen. The guy who pitches nine innings makes it easier on the manager for the next few games. There are so many things that are involved other than just throwing a number on something. If people think I'm not for that, then they're right. Because I still think it's a team game.

Yeah, Felix wouldn't have gotten more wins with the Yankees offense. Nah.

And then the point about the innings pitched? I guess he didn't look at the stats and see Felix's league leading innings pitched, batters faced, and quality starts. Amongst several other things. :lol:

Not to mention, pitcher vs. batter is probably the quintessential 1-on-1 matchup in all of professional sports. I'm not sure it gets any more individual than that.

People are saying (Felix) Hernandez should win. I'm not saying he shouldn't. But how are you going to judge what he would have done if he was on the Yankees. It's tougher to pitch for the Yankees and win or the Twins than it is Seattle. All individual awards are team awards. My MVP awards were won because my team helped me. … I think the problem I have, though, with some statistics is we start to individualize the players. I don't want that. It's still a team game. ... When you start to individualize things like that, it takes away the team concept from the game. It's like a pitcher who goes out and pitches five innings every game and doesn't give up anything. Is he better than the guy who pitches nine innings and loses one every once in a while? The guy who pitches nine innings helps the bullpen. The guy who pitches nine innings makes it easier on the manager for the next few games. There are so many things that are involved other than just throwing a number on something. If people think I'm not for that, then they're right. Because I still think it's a team game.

And then the point about the innings pitched? I guess he didn't look at the stats and see Felix's league leading innings pitched, batters faced, and quality starts. Amongst several other things. :lol:

Not to mention, pitcher vs. batter is probably the quintessential 1-on-1 matchup in all of professional sports. I'm not sure it gets any more individual than that.

Yup he's a moron. I don't know what pitcher he is referring to that just goes five innings and doesn't give up anything. It certainly can't be Felix Hernandez.

Yup he's a moron. I don't know what pitcher he is referring to that just goes five innings and doesn't give up anything. It certainly can't be Felix Hernandez.

Yeah, and that's why his ass is in the unemployment line now.

Wouldn't it be harder to win for Seattle, than the Yankees? I don't get the logic?

Wouldn't it be harder to win for Seattle, than the Yankees? I don't get the logic?

Well there's intangibles that play a part. The size of the ball park, the attention and the spotlight that playing in NY comes with, etc.

You could probably argue that NY is tougher for a pitcher, but like I said, pitching is a 1-on-1 matchup. If you're leading the league in ERA but only have 13 wins and 12 losses, that means someone ELSE is losing the game for you.

Either an anemic offense, or a really shitty defense. Or a really shitty bullpen, which is usually what gets a good starting pitcher a no-decision.

Last edited:

Well there's intangibles that play a part. The size of the ball park, the attention and the spotlight that playing in NY comes with, etc.

You could probably argue that NY is tougher for a pitcher, but like I said, pitching is a 1-on-1 matchup. If you're leading the league in ERA but only have 13 wins and 12 losses, that means someone ELSE is losing the game for you.

Either an anemic offense, or a really shitty defense.

In my opinion it would harder to win for Seattle. ;)
They had both, which is why I hold the opinion I stated above. :D
Just sayin!

Just sayin!

I'm totally in agreement.

Just sayin!

I'm totally in agreement.

But what do I know. :lol:

This was one of my favorites:

Well that pretty much trivializes the Cy Young, at least in the American League. Good stats or not, he didn't do much to help his team, he didn't even get that many decisions.

So a pitcher leads the league in innings pitched, and batters faced, and ERA...and his lack of decisions is HIS fault? :lol:

LOL @ didn't do much to help his team

Nah, nothing. The Mariners should have DH'd one of the other spots in the lineup and made Felix bat so he could actually contribute something, the fucking worthless bastard. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back