Feds Spending $880,000 to Study Benefits of Snail Sex

The stock market - have you heard of it? Private equity - have you heard of it? Venture capital - have you heard of it?

I would have suggested bank loans, but our corrupt government has colluded with big banks to drive small ones out of business and to fund massive growth of government via ZIRP.

Yep heard of both. Go on...How do we do that? Theres no money to be made...who's going to do it? Has it been done in the past that you can use as an example?

If there's no money to be made and nobody wants to pay for it then you're stuck paying for it by yourself.

Are you down with that?

Govt wants to pay for it. Yeah, I'm down...Science is important n stuff

Cool, how do we do that? Pass around a collection plate?

The stock market - have you heard of it? Private equity - have you heard of it? Venture capital - have you heard of it?

I would have suggested bank loans, but our corrupt government has colluded with big banks to drive small ones out of business and to fund massive growth of government via ZIRP.

Yep heard of both. Go on...How do we do that? Theres no money to be made...who's going to do it? Has it been done in the past that you can use as an example?

Thank you for proving my point with your admission that there is no valuable purpose for studying snail sex!

Thank you for proving my point with your admission that there is no valuable purpose for studying snail sex!

We have to before we can develop snail condoms

If there's no money to be made and nobody wants to pay for it then you're stuck paying for it by yourself.

Are you down with that?

Doesn't sound like you pay taxes.

I asked Dave in the last "OMG scientists are studing stuff" thread about Large Lesbos. Dave said someone else should pay for it. I asked who? Then he fled.

Who should pay for it Dave?

:eusa_drool:Large Lesbos. How about the ones that are all for same sex marriage. Im sure they would love to donate to it.

Money and value are the same thing? well by golly

Are you down with that?

:eusa_hand:Ok then. Take that money and hand it over to the Cancer society to help find a cure. Its much more important than the sex life of a snail.

I honestly don't understand why more people don't get infuriated by this kind of stuff. The military is pulling tuition funding from active servicemen which they were promised, but the feds have money for this shit.

The National Science Foundation awarded a grant for $876,752 to the University of Iowa to study whether there is any benefit to sex among New Zealand mud snails and whether that explains why any organism has sex.

Whew!!!

You "conservatives" need to get-over your obsession with SEX!!

eusa_doh.gif

Are you down with that?

:eusa_hand:Ok then. Take that money and hand it over to the Cancer society to help find a cure. Its much more important than the sex life of a snail.

Why we have a deficit? Why waste money on Cancer research?

Makes about as much sense as the millions being wasted on this foolish same sex marriage stuff.

Actually it doesn't.

There's mounds of beneficial information that comes out of seemingly "wasteful" research. And the reasons for doing this sort of research are sound.

And what are the benefits to this particular research?

They explain it in your article:

“Despite this and other costs, nearly all organisms reproduce sexually at least some of the time. This means that sex must be associated with profound advantages, while asexual reproduction must have significant evolutionary consequences.”

In other words, the study seeks to see if there are genetic advantages to sexual reproduction that justify its evolutionary costs, advantages such as avoiding genetic mutations or gene loss.

-------------------------

Can you see the implications of this kind of research for the future?

I honestly don't understand why more people don't get infuriated by this kind of stuff. The military is pulling tuition funding from active servicemen which they were promised, but the feds have money for this shit.

The National Science Foundation awarded a grant for $876,752 to the University of Iowa to study whether there is any benefit to sex among New Zealand mud snails and whether that explains why any organism has sex.

Whew!!!

You "conservatives" need to get-over your obsession with SEX!!

eusa_doh.gif

:eusa_whistle:And you libs need to get over your obsession of spending other peoples earned money. Keep you hands in your own pockets. Better yet go play with the snails.

Are you down with that?

I think that snails and slugs do figure into cancer research.
Here is a title and abstract of a review paper. I'm not sure what it means, but it does mention that the Snail/Slug family of gene repressors figure in the understanding of the development of cancer.
Snail/Slug family of repressors: slowly going into the fast lane of development and cancer
The existence of homologous genes in diverse species is intriguing. A detailed comparison of the structure and function of gene families may provide important insights into gene regulation and evolution. An unproven assumption is that homologous genes have a common ancestor. During evolution, the original function of the ancestral gene might be retained in the different species which evolved along separate courses. In addition, new functions could have developed as the sequence began to diverge. This may also explain partly the presence of multipurpose genes, which have multiple functions at different stages of development and in different tissues. The Drosophila gene snail is a multipurpose gene; it has been demonstrated that snail is critical for mesoderm formation, for CNS development, and for wing cell fate determination. The related vertebrate Snail and Slug genes have also been proposed to participate in mesoderm formation, neural crest cell migration, carcinogenesis, and apoptosis. In this review, we will discuss the Snail/Slug family of regulators in species ranging from insect to human. We will present the protein structures, expression patterns, and functions based on molecular genetic analyses. We will also include the studies that helped to elucidate the molecular mechanisms of repression and the relationship between the conserved and divergent functions of these genes. Moreover, the studies may enable us to trace the evolution of this gene family.

Last edited:

If there is no measurable financial value to the "investment", then there is no purpose in anyone funding it unless they wish to engage in charity. That's not really the role of government, bub, as much as you moonbats would like to make it so.

Have you tried to read the US budget when it comes out? It's insane. We spend our tax dollars on stuff you would not believe. There is a new one coming out soon. Put your whole family on it and then scream like hell.

If there is no measurable financial value to the "investment", then there is no purpose in anyone funding it unless they wish to engage in charity. That's not really the role of government, bub, as much as you moonbats would like to make it so.

I heard of a dumb ass scientist who wasted all his time studying mold. Stupid jerk wasted his time growing different kinds of molds in Petrie dishes.
What financial value is there wasting time and money on mold?

The fact that it led to the discovery of penicillin is just a fluke

We don't need the Blue Angels!
We don't need White House tours!
We don't need air traffic controllers!

But we do need a study on snail sex!

I heard of a dumb ass scientist who wasted all his time studying mold. Stupid jerk wasted his time growing different kinds of molds in Petrie dishes.

How do boinking snails lead to a cure for AIDS?

We don't need the Blue Angels!
We don't need White House tours!
We don't need air traffic controllers!

But we do need a study on snail sex!

Feel free to end the sequester at any time

How do boinking snails lead to a cure for AIDS?

Scientific research is collecting pieces of the puzzle. We really don't know which piece will lead to a breakthrough

There is nothing as wasteful as studying mold. Can you get a more insignificant organism? Yet it gave us penicillin

Why isn't this thread in the humor section? After all isn't the topic about bill and Hillary and barak and michelle having sex? :lol:

Forum List

Back