Feds Spending $880,000 to Study Benefits of Snail Sex

I asked Dave in the last "OMG scientists are studing stuff" thread about Large Lesbos. Dave said someone else should pay for it. I asked who? Then he fled.

Who should pay for it Dave?

Fled?? No.. I do not spend all day every day in here.... threads get pushed to the back...

But nice try....

If it is beneficial some private entity or company would PUSH to pay for it... if it is truly beneficial...

But no.. when it comes to these little puzzles some career student wants to find out.. they go to government, because they hand it out for just about ANYTHING regardless if they show it has any actual benefit or not

Dave you obviously dont understand the role of Corporations. Corporations dont exist to make beneficials the exist to make money.

So Dave, Who should pay for it if it doesnt make money?

I asked Dave in the last "OMG scientists are studing stuff" thread about Large Lesbos. Dave said someone else should pay for it. I asked who? Then he fled.

Fled?? No.. I do not spend all day every day in here.... threads get pushed to the back...

But nice try....

If it is beneficial some private entity or company would PUSH to pay for it... if it is truly beneficial...

But no.. when it comes to these little puzzles some career student wants to find out.. they go to government, because they hand it out for just about ANYTHING regardless if they show it has any actual benefit or not

Dave you obviously dont understand the role of Corporations. Corporations dont exist to make beneficials the exist to make money.

So Dave, Who should pay for it if it doesnt make money?

You really don't understand how businesses actually make money, do you?

Personally, I patronize quite a few businesses that make "beneficials".

The people that want to pay for it. If nobody wants to pay for it then tough luck.

Since you seem to be very happy about all these studies, why don't you help them fund it?

Great answer man, great answer...Cant make money in it then hell we dont need it. Oh except NASA...

Why except NASA? :confused:
Answer: Important research...but thats different

How about we let the people decide?

If an overwhelming majority support funding NASA, then so be it.

But if nobody actually wants to fund snail sex research, then tough luck. At least be happy we're paying for NASA.

How about we just let the free market work?

SpaceX and Virgin are going to do more to further space travel than is the bankrupt U.S. government at this point.

Snail sex might be cheap compared to puppets.

From 2009 to 2013, the U.S. government has spent $1,188,382 on puppetry-related expenses. Some of the expenses include puppet shows for kids on educational topics. Others include puppet-based research. In 2010, the taxpayer-funded National Science Foundation awarded the University of Central Florida a $199,754 research grant for “Efficient Control and Transmission of Digital Puppetry.”
In February 2013, the taxpayer-funded National Endowment for the Arts invested $25,000 into something called “In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask,” a Minneapolis project that will “support the development of a new work by puppetry artists in the Sampo Box Program.”

U.S. Spends $1.18 Million on Puppets Amid Sequester

How did Howdy Doody make it without government help?

CLosedCaption, RW and Swallow support it!!! Because it's uhhh SMART!! and if you don't support it your not SMART!!!!

I would have to see what they were tasked to do and the results. I do not have issues with programs directed at children using puppets.
Sesame Street was highly effective and I don't mind investing in that

What is it with the rightwing wanting to kill Big Bird?

460.jpg

Last edited:
The people that want to pay for it. If nobody wants to pay for it then tough luck.

Since you seem to be very happy about all these studies, why don't you help them fund it?

Great answer man, great answer...Cant make money in it then hell we dont need it. Oh except NASA...

But if nobody actually wants to fund snail sex research, then tough luck. At least be happy we're paying for NASA.

Cool, how do we do that? Pass around a collection plate?

The stock market - have you heard of it? Private equity - have you heard of it? Venture capital - have you heard of it?

I would have suggested bank loans, but our corrupt government has colluded with big banks to drive small ones out of business and to fund massive growth of government via ZIRP.

And that makes it the job of government HOW?? If it is 'beneficial research', some company would want to fund it to drive a profit off of the advancements from the findings...

It is not the role of government to do every possible thing that somebody may think is beneficial.

Govt has to believe there is a benefit to this information, no?

Really? And how does that work? Let me guess...massive quantities of special interest pork. That's really BENEFITED the country.

The more you post, the more obvious it is why you support Snail Sex.

Seems like a legitimate zoological study

Got any other beefs?

I disagree that it's legitimate and it's certainly not worth blowing almost a million dollars of our money on, not to mention it's completely unconstitutional spending.

The stock market - have you heard of it? Private equity - have you heard of it? Venture capital - have you heard of it?

I would have suggested bank loans, but our corrupt government has colluded with big banks to drive small ones out of business and to fund massive growth of government via ZIRP.

Yep heard of both. Go on...How do we do that? Theres no money to be made...who's going to do it? Has it been done in the past that you can use as an example?

It is not the role of government to do every possible thing that somebody may think is beneficial.

Govt has to believe there is a benefit to this information, no?

Really? And how does that work? Let me guess...massive quantities of special interest pork. That's really BENEFITED the country.

The more you post, the more obvious it is why you support Snail Sex.

So Govt doesnt believe this is a benefit but pays for it anyway..ok Boe, your rhetorical snipes arent points. You cant even explain it...thats why you say silly things like "when you post I can tell you want to study snail reproduction" LOL...wht?

I honestly don't understand why more people don't get infuriated by this kind of stuff. The military is pulling tuition funding from active servicemen which they were promised, but the feds have money for this shit.

The National Science Foundation awarded a grant for $876,752 to the University of Iowa to study whether there is any benefit to sex among New Zealand mud snails and whether that explains why any organism has sex.

The study, first funded in 2011 and continuing until 2015, will study the New Zealand snails to see if it is better that they reproduce sexually or asexually – the snail can do both – hoping to gain insight on why so many organisms practice sexual reproduction.

“Sexual reproduction is more costly than asexual reproduction, yet nearly all organisms reproduce sexually at least some of the time. Why is sexual reproduction so common despite its costs,” the study’s abstract asks.

Feds Spending $880,000 to Study Benefits of Snail Sex | CNS News

Seems like a legitimate zoological study

Got any other beefs?

:eusa_drool:Legitimate? Well how about we use that money and study why our gov't is so crazy now days instead. Much better study.

Yep heard of both. Go on...How do we do that? Theres no money to be made...who's going to do it? Has it been done in the past that you can use as an example?

If there's no money to be made and nobody wants to pay for it then you're stuck paying for it by yourself.

Are you down with that?

PURE science often has no apparent immediate benefit.

Should we therefore not study it?

Anyone who wants to study it should study it. They should also fund it themselves. The wrong is in taking the money someone else worked for to perform research because research exists.

And that's not how it works..

:eusa_hand:Yep. Thats the way the gov't works. And they need to get their act together and start spending the taxpayer's money more wisely. At the time they don't give a * * * * because its not their money being spent this way.

Forum List

Back