Feds Award Million-Dollar Grant to Study Sex Habits of Mud Snails

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
You Lefties will instantly claim how this is a lie because it comes from a Breitbart site. Yet, here's the university press release announcing it @ Researchers receive NSF grant to study evolutionary consequences of abstinence. So, try to refute it!

by William Bigelow28 Mar 2013

The National Science Foundation has given a grant that could wind up totaling almost a million dollars to a University of Iowa study researching which is better for New Zealand mud snails: reproducing sexually or asexually. The grant, awarded in 2011 to last until 2015, has already cost $502,357, and could wind up costing taxpayers $876,752 before all is said and done.

Read more @ Feds Award Million-Dollar Grant to Study Sex Habits of Mud Snails

So, sequester is so devastating? Why can't King Barry scrap garbage like this?

Mud Snails are the key to everyone getting health care, and free food, and solving global warming, and election fraud, and national defense.... that MUST be why the fed had to fund it and not a private investor, company, firm, benefactor, or philanthropist!!!

You Lefties will instantly claim how this is a lie because it comes from a Breitbart site. Yet, here's the university press release announcing it @ Researchers receive NSF grant to study evolutionary consequences of abstinence. So, try to refute it!

The National Science Foundation has given a grant that could wind up totaling almost a million dollars to a University of Iowa study researching which is better for New Zealand mud snails: reproducing sexually or asexually. The grant, awarded in 2011 to last until 2015, has already cost $502,357, and could wind up costing taxpayers $876,752 before all is said and done.

This is a repeat thread.

The broader aim of the study is to find out why sexual reproduction and males exist, arguing that sex is biologically inefficient for females. Because an asexual organism can simply clone itself faster than it can reproduce if it finds a mate, the study seeks to see if there are other benefits to sexual reproduction that outweigh this ‘cost’ of finding a mate.

In other words, the study seeks to see if there are genetic advantages to sexual reproduction that justify its evolutionary costs, advantages such as avoiding genetic mutations or gene loss.

Feds Spending $880,000 to Study Benefits of Snail Sex | CNS News

As I said in the other thread, can you imagine the implications of this kind of research for the future?

This is a repeat thread.

The broader aim of the study is to find out why sexual reproduction and males exist, arguing that sex is biologically inefficient for females. Because an asexual organism can simply clone itself faster than it can reproduce if it finds a mate, the study seeks to see if there are other benefits to sexual reproduction that outweigh this ‘cost’ of finding a mate.

In other words, the study seeks to see if there are genetic advantages to sexual reproduction that justify its evolutionary costs, advantages such as avoiding genetic mutations or gene loss.

As I said in the other thread, can you imagine the implications of this kind of research for the future?

Exactly, did no one actually read the article and realize the implications for DNA research? Conservatives are fucking brain dead.

This is a repeat thread.

But don't we have more important things to worry about? Like say, the economy? North Korea? Where are your priorities right now, may I ask?

This is a repeat thread.

Exactly, did no one actually read the article and realize the implications for DNA research? Conservatives are fucking brain dead.

Conservatives can barely put one foot in front of the other let alone think two steps down the road. That, plus the fact that science is hard. :(

This is a repeat thread.

But don't we have more important things to worry about? Like say, the economy? North Korea? Where are your priorities right now, may I ask?

What's wrong with multi-tasking? I prefer an administration which can handle many issues big and small at the same time.

This is a repeat thread.

What's wrong with multi-tasking? I prefer an administration which can handle many issues big and small at the same time.

What? Our economy deserves our undivided attention. What good is a love life if you can't afford it?

What? Our economy deserves our undivided attention. What good is a love life if you can't afford it?

Yeah right, and the rest of society's issues grind to a halt? Typical conservative tunnel vision. Can only focus on one thing at a time.

This is a repeat thread.

Many species of plants have evolved mechanisms to promote cross-pollination and avoid self-pollination. So this issue has been both well studied and well understood in plants.
Some plants prefer to crosspollinate, but if are unsuccessful (because there are no suitable insects around) will self pollinate.

Well.................maybe this study is better than the bridge to nowhere that was built in Alaska.

Is Momma Grizzly turned Momma Gerbil behind this?

I see everyone got their Fox talking points lol.

So that’s a no, you can’t refute this asinine ‘grant.’

Why is it asinine? You don't really think it's just about mud snails, do you? When eye researchers do studies they often use pigeons, but that doesn't make it about the pigeons. It's easy to make studies look ridiculous when you either don't understand or are purposefully misleading about how science works. We can't usually cut up humans, so animal models are developed to study the process.

It's a relatively small amount, it's been in the pipeline for a while and if cancelled would mean more people out of work.

Yeah right, and the rest of society's issues grind to a halt? Typical conservative tunnel vision. Can only focus on one thing at a time.

Oooh, since when does snail sex get me or anyone else here a job? Care to answer that my liberally myopic friend?

Oooh, since when does snail sex get me or anyone else here a job? Care to answer that my liberally myopic friend?

Why is this person so stupid?

Forum List

Back