Federal Judges - Filling Vacancies

TahoeHorn

Rookie
Apr 7, 2018
How many more vacancies will be filled this year?

When Trump took office there were 112 vacancies. Now there are 145 with 32 more announced. There are about 90 nominees in some stage of the confirmation process. There has clearly been a state-oriented nomination process with the easier states worked first.

I expect most of the 177 spots to get nominees within the next two months and something well north of 125 but south of 177 to get confirmed.

What is your guess?

Reading your post it's not clear how many vacancies were filled last year? From what I can surmise the over-under number of those confirmed this year should be around 151. I'd place my dough on the "under", but with my lack of confidence would limit my bet to $10.

Welcome to the board.

When Trump took office there were 112 vacancies. Now there are 145 with 32 more announced. There are about 90 nominees in some stage of the confirmation process. There has clearly been a state-oriented nomination process with the easier states worked first.

I expect most of the 177 spots to get nominees within the next two months and something well north of 125 but south of 177 to get confirmed.

What is your guess?

That depends on how fast the Senate gets on the stick, as they've only confirmed 42 judges nominated by Trump.

List of federal judges appointed by Donald Trump - Wikipedia

Obama appointed more than 300 judges to federal positions.

Some data:
List of federal judges appointed by Barack Obama - Wikipedia
Current Judicial Vacancies
Future Judicial Vacancies
Vacancy Summary for January 2017

Trump has filled 42 spots as you can see from the first link. Obama filled 329. About 50 a year come open.

The Democrats can't block but they can stall. And they are. Big time. The current pace is far too slow to confirm large numbers, but it's clear things are about to change. But how much is unclear. We will see how much time it takes to confirm, say, 150 judges, with the Dems stalling, McConnell adding special sessions and candidates for reelection squealing to go home to campaign.

P.S. I see that I type too slowly.

What is your guess?

That depends on how fast the Senate gets on the stick, as they've only confirmed 42 judges nominated by Trump.

Maybe canceling the democrats vacation in August will put a fire under their ass to get their jobs done....

What is your guess?

Maybe canceling the democrats vacation in August will put a fire under their ass to get their jobs done....

Probably not. They'll only obstruct harder.

What is your guess?

Eh their folly. Can't campaign can't win!

What is your guess?

We can only hope

What is your guess?

We can only hope

Me too. I'd love nothing more than to see those Democrats obstruct their way into losing the upcoming elections.

:laughing0301:

What is your guess?

We can only hope

Me too. I'd love nothing more than to see those Democrats obstruct their way into losing the upcoming elections.

:laughing0301:
There is little Democrats could do that would risk losing in November. You spent Obama's Presidency obstructing and it worked out. We don't have the Russian government or the most efficient and consolidated propaganda machine in history to rely on, but we'll do just fine anyways.

Forum List

Back