Federal Gay-Activist Judges Aren't to Blame: They Rely on "Science"..

Should society in general censure the APA like Congress did?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Other, see my post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Why do you suppose the words "AIDS-terrorist" are part of today's gay vernacular, defined as "someone who knows they have HIV who goes out and has unprotected sex"? Because it's a figment of the LGBT culture's imagination? They're in the habit of creating phrases to describe imaginary/nonexistent things?
Clearly you are much more into the gay vernacular than I am.

Please feel free to imagine exactly how the term was created?

I suppose 'urban legend' just isn't sufficient for you.

I notice you didn't answer my question. Answer it. It isn't a legend. It describes a specific behavior known to law enforcement actually, as well as common enough to earn itself a phrase in gay slang.

Do you admit it happens or not?

Here's some more CQR tripe from the APA: Brown, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton and Yale have all drunk the Koolaide. Do they know the conclusions their health insurance plans are covering were arrived at by "audited group think" in preference over data and facts? Wow, this cult's roots are really REALLY deep!

"Today, signs that we are entering a more hopeful era for transgender people are flourishing. Last year, Americans enthusiastically supported Chaz (nee Chastity) Bono as an openly transgender dancing contestant on national television. Hollywood film director ("The Matrix") Lana (nee Larry) Wachowski was celebrated in the press for sharing her painful past of growing up transgender.

In addition, more studies are exploring treatment for transgender people who seek it, as well as ways to combat the discrimination many still face. Plus, many universities — Brown, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton and Yale among them — are starting to offer health insurance plans that include coverage for hormone therapy or gender-reassignment surgery for transgender students, a move unheard of just six years ago....

It is standard practice to treat the client for any psychiatric conditions that might be present before starting a medical transition. After that, medical treatment may include hormone therapy to diminish unwanted secondary-sex characteristics and produce or enhance secondary-sex characteristics of the desired gender. A 2011 study led by Colt Meier, a psychology doctoral candidate at the University of Houston (Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health) showed that hormone therapy was associated with lower levels of depression, anxiety and stress, as well as increased quality of life in a sample of more than 400 transgender men.

In addition to hormone therapy, transgender people may opt for surgery to alter breasts, genitalia or other sexual characteristics. Other transgender people may choose a "social transition" that involves only cosmetic changes in dress, grooming or name, for instance, and no medical intervention." Transgender today

What I'd like to know is, what changed in the last 6 years? What studies were done on patient's post-operative satisfaction with their new hacked bodies/identities? What were the rates of those who wanted to reverse a sex change operation? Post operative suicide rates? Post operative depression? Will insurance companies (Brown, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Yale...you listening?) cover the post operative complications like sexual numbness and incontinence, more susceptabilty to UT infections? Depression and its treatment?

Where are the facts in the last 6 years that support amputation of healthy organs as good for the patient instead of deep and regressive psychotherapy? Where are they? You won't see them at the APA. Because CQR dictates that these surgeries are just fine and facts and researchers that say they aren't just fine will be systematically drummed out of the system (audited to come in line with group-think).

Gays storming the APA
1281638122-specialforces.jpg

Yeah, it's really funny when a cult takes over an erstwhile leading scientific outfit that all other scientific outfits look to for guidance and then brazenly announces it is discarding facts and data and instead adopting audited group think.

The ripples in the pond that's creating and the corners of the collective psyche it's reaching is just friggin' hilarious man. Why haven't I seen the lighter side of this before? Thanks for that chuckle. Now, off you go to have your junk amputated and become sexually numb, incontinent and even more depressed than before...!

Why? Because the APA that ordained this was OK for you has "audited' that reality into existence!

Do you think transgender surgery is a good idea for the patient, even if it leaves them incontinent and open to UT infections?

Do you think boob jobs on women that allowed silicon to leak into their bodies was a good idea.

How about Joan Rivers dying during Plastic Surgery #415?

I mean, dude, seriously, to you sit home all day and think of reasons to hate LGBT people?

Do you think boob jobs on women that allowed silicon to leak into their bodies was a good idea.

How about Joan Rivers dying during Plastic Surgery #415
?

I mean, dude, seriously, to you sit home all day and think of reasons to hate LGBT people?

No. I don't think boob jobs are a good idea. At all. In fact anyone who is attracted to silicone boobed women belongs on a therapist's couch. As for facial reconstruction, if the person is burned badly or some other horribly disfiguring situation then yes. But amputation of healthy genitals and urinary tract organs? That's just flat insane. The people are left even more depressed.

Why do you suppose the words "AIDS-terrorist" are part of today's gay vernacular, defined as "someone who knows they have HIV who goes out and has unprotected sex"? Because it's a figment of the LGBT culture's imagination? They're in the habit of creating phrases to describe imaginary/nonexistent things?
Clearly you are much more into the gay vernacular than I am.

Please feel free to imagine exactly how the term was created?

I suppose 'urban legend' just isn't sufficient for you.

I notice you didn't answer my question. Answer it. It isn't a legend. It describes a specific behavior known to law enforcement actually, as well as common enough to earn itself a phrase in gay slang.

Do you admit it happens or not?

Urban Legend.

No. I don't think boob jobs are a good idea. At all. In fact anyone who is attracted to silicone boobed women belongs on a therapist's couch. As for facial reconstruction, if the person is burned badly or some other horribly disfiguring situation then yes. But amputation of healthy genitals and urinary tract organs? That's just flat insane. The people are left even more depressed.

Actually, they do a lot of psychological screening before they approve someone for reassignment therapy.

I think it's quack medicine, but I don't spend my life getting upset about it like you do.

Did we turn over a new page in hopes the old one will "go away"?

CDC?

This is what the CDC says- which you ignore when it is inconvenient to your anti-homosexual campaign

CDC - Mental Health - Gay and Bisexual Men s Health

The majority of gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM) have and maintain good mental health, even though MSM are at greater risk for mental health problems. Like everyone else, the majority of MSM are highly resilient and able to cope successfully with many negative life stressors, such as those associated with homophobia and discrimination.

Let's look at the study again FROM THE CDC ALSO:

ATLANTA [2005 Clinical Psychiatry News] -- Substance abuse is pervasive among gay men and is so intricately intertwined with epidemics of depression, partner abuse, and childhood sexual abuse that adequately addressing one issue requires attention to the others as well, said Ronald Stall, Ph.D., chief of prevention research for the division of HIV/AIDS prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta...

Your contention, I presume from a standpoint of CQR (Audited group-think...ie: a cult) is that, without doing a study of 3,000 gay men and gathering the raw statistical data on specific questions (not generalized assumptions courtesy of "CQR"), "gay men have these mental issues from homophobia and discrimination"? That's what the APA decided in contrast to what the CDC FOUND...

Do you suppose that severe, "pervasive" or "epidemic" drug abuse, spousal abuse and depression MIGHT stem from what the CDC identifies as an "intertwined" co-morbid presentation in gay men? Do you suppose that the statistics that support other populations of survivors of childhood sexual abuse, that show they ALSO have a high propensity for drug abuse, spousal abuse and depression, might show that this is the causal agent of the other problems? Or is that just a "data fluke" that can be resolved by an "audit" from a group of powerful people lodged in high ranks in the APA? CQR gives them the power to remake reality you know. It gives their whims and assumptions "power over numbers" remember. Read the OP again..

Asking again, any comment on this prior statement?

Sigh, ok, a grammar lesson for you. Let's take a sentence of similar structure to the one you are quoting. "Apples are used to make pies AND grow on trees".... Is that saying that pies grow on trees? of course not... this grammatical use can be otherwise stated as "Apples are used to make pies AND apples grow on trees".

Now let's take the quote you use: "Substance abuse is pervasive among gay men AND is so intricately intertwined with epidemics of depression, partner abuse, and childhood sexual abuse".

Which according to grammatical rules can be re-stated as "Substance Abuse is pervasive among gay men AND Substance Abuse is so intricately intertwined with epidemics of depression, partner abuse and childhood sexual abuse".

Again, what he is saying is that it is SUBSTANCE ABUSE that is intertwined with these other epidemics, he's not making a statement here about the intertwining of of those epidemics with being gay. He didn't address at all in this quote why he thinks gay men face those epidemics. But wouldn't you know it, you have been provided link after link from the CDC that shows exactly where he says it does most commonly come from, time and time again they expressing that it is the stress of homophobia and stigmatization that leads to the depression and abuse that is comorbid with substance abuse... all of which need to be addressed. Your interpretation rests on a blatant misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) of grammar in the English language and flies in the face of every article from the CDC that further addresses the same topic, confirming your misunderstanding, not to mention the vast conspiracy that it must rely on, taking over every psychological and medical association and every level of government across dozens of nations. At some point you have to start imagining, "maybe it's me?"

There, Jeff LV just gave everyone a taste of how "auditing" works for the CQR method of finding consensus among "professionals" at the APA. They dissect paragraphs into separate sentences. Then they separate sentences from the words in them. Then they spin a whole new meaning from what was actually said and found. Anyone who disagrees thereafter with the new interpretation will lose their license to practice.

There, Jeff LV just gave everyone a taste of how "auditing" works for the CQR method of finding consensus among "professionals" at the APA. They dissect paragraphs into separate sentences. Then they separate sentences from the words in them. Then they spin a whole new meaning from what was actually said and found. Anyone who disagrees thereafter with the new interpretation will lose their license to practice.

And Silhouette just gave everyone a taste of how bat guano crazy her posts are.

Six more one-line ad hominem posts to go and you will have turned over new page.....troll...

Six more one-line ad hominem posts to go and you will have turned over new page.....troll...

Well on a bright note- amid all of that bat guano craziness- I have no idea whether you lied or not- but I assume you did.

After all- you posted.

Ok, let's take another example, this one even more direct:

"Alcoholism is pervasive among Native Americans and is so intricately intertwined with epidemics of Depression and Poverty that adequately addressing one issue requires attention to the others as well."

So what is that statement saying? Is it saying that depression and poverty are intricately intertwined with being Native American? Of course not, that's bad grammar. What it's saying is that alcoholism is common among Native Americans, and that Alcoholism is intricately intertwined with Depression and Poverty which together need to be addressed. IT is not making a statement about why poverty and depression is common among Native Americans, and it most certainly isn't saying that poverty and depression is what MAKES a native american into a native american or that it's a fundamental part of being Native American. That's just a fundamental misunderstanding of English Grammar if you think that's how the sentence should be read. Yet this is how you are reading the original statement regarding gay men. Basic grammar, my friend. In case you need a refresher, here's a quick lesson on the grammar of presenting items in a series:

The Item in a Series

Here it is, this is the actual thing I was speaking about with the CQR/APA tripe that would have plunged my friend into deeper depression:

Recent studies of participants in SOCE identify a population of individuals who experience serious distress related to same sex sexual attractions. Most of these participants are Caucasian males who report that their religion is extremely important to them ( Beckstead & Morrow, 2004; Nicolosi, Byrd, & Potts, 2000; Schaeffer, Hyde, Kroencke, McCormick, & Nottebaum, 2000; Shidlo & Schroeder, 2002, Spitzer, 2003). These individuals report having pursued a variety of religious and secular efforts intended to help them to change their sexual orientation. To date, the research has not fully addressed age, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, disability, language, and socioeconomic status in the population of distressed individuals. 1.

There are no studies of adequate scientific rigor to conclude whether or not recent SOCE do or do not work to change a person’s sexual orientation. 2. Scientifically rigorous older work in this area (e.g., Birk, Huddleston, Miller, & Cohler, 1971; James, 1978; McConaghy, 1969, 1976; McConaghy, Proctor, & Barr, 1972; Tanner, 1974, 1975) found that s exual orientation (i.e., erotic attractions and sexual arousal oriented to one sex or the other, or both) was unlikely to change due to efforts designed for this purpose. Some individuals appeared to learn how to ignore or limit their attractions. However, this was much less likely to be true for people whose sexual attractions were initially limited to people of the same sex.

Although sound data on the safety of SOCE are extremely limited, some individuals reported being harmed by SOCE. Distress and depression were exacerbated. Belief in the hope of sexual orientation change followed by the failure of the treatment was identified as a significant cause of distress 3. and negative self-image (Beckstead & Morrow, 2004; Shidlo & Schroeder, 2002)...

...On the basis of the Task Force’s findings, the APA encourages mental health professionals to provide assistance to those who seek sexual orientation change by utilizing affirmative multiculturally competent (Bartoli & Gillem, 2008; Brown, 2006) and client-centered approaches (e.g., Beckstead & Israel, 2007; Glassgold, 2008; Haldeman, 2004; Lasser & Gottlieb, 2004) that recognize the negative impact of social stigma on sexual minorities 4.2 (Herek, 2009; Herek & Garnets, 2007) and balance ethical principles of beneficence and nonmaleficence, justice, and respect for people’s rights and dignity (APA, 1998, 2002; Davison, 1976; Haldeman, 2002; Schneider, Brown, & Glassgold, 2002)....

... Whereas societal ignorance and prejudice about a same-sex sexual orientation places some sexual minorities 2 at risk for seeking sexual orientation change due to personal, family, or religious conflicts, or lack of information....

Therefore be it resolved that the American Psychological Association affirms that same-sex sexual and romantic attractions, feelings, and behaviors are normal and positive variations of human sexuality regardless of sexual orientation identity;

Be it further resolved that the American Psychological Association reaffirms its position that homosexuality per se is not a mental disorder and opposes portrayals of sexual minority youths and adults as mentally ill due to their sexual orientation;

Be it further resolved that the American Psychological Association concludes that there is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation;

Be it further resolved that the American Psychological Association encourages mental health professionals to avoid misrepresenting the efficacy of sexual orientation change efforts by promoting or promising change in sexual orientation when providing assistance to individuals distressed by their own or others’ sexual orientation;

Be it further resolved that the American Psychological Association concludes that the benefits reported by participants in sexual orientation change efforts can be gained through approaches that do not attempt to change sexual orientation; 5.
Resolution on Appropriate Affirmative Responses to Sexual Orientation Distress and Change Efforts

1. The APA says at the outset that most of the people experiencing sexual distress as of the orientation they do not want are white males. Then they end the paragraph saying "To date, the research has not fully addressed age, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, disability, language, and socioeconomic status in the population of distressed individuals." !!

No research has been done on the gender, race or ethnicity of sexually distressed people, but they concluded at the BEGINNING of the paragraph this: "individuals who experience serious distress related to same sex sexual attractions. Most of these participants are Caucasian males.."

2. This also admits there are no studies they abide by, not that they don't exist. The APA just prefers not to believe them because that data doesn't line up with their unbelievably logically-flawed and disturbingly cult-type conclusions at the end of this manifesto.

3. The depression is sourced as treatment failure, not that the person has resolved their distress of orientation. This is the prelude to "you cannot change what was done to you, so learn to embrace it"... (and the great minds at the APA continue to be befuddled at alarming suicide rates among gays even with all that encouragement)

4. This is the bugle-call, "Tell them to embrace it. Tell them what they don't want and are distressed over is something to be proud of instead". That would be like telling a person with OCD to "enjoy washing your hands 200 times a day" (you know, since we failed to cure you, and refuse to entertain any methods or research to try to cure you).

5. This just cements it all together. And JESUS what a spin. This paragraph says "you can achieve the best benefits in ridding yourself of something that distresses you, by just giving up and embracing that which distresses you" So, OCD person who is distressed by checking the locks on all their doors 5 times a night, learn to embrace what you are. You are just "safety oriented". Don't let anyone tell you your distress is abnormal!

Visit the link. You cannot make this stuff up. :uhh: The part in red above is the irony of ironies. the following is their paraphrased conclusion on treating people who don't want to be oriented gay:

"We the APA admit there aren't enough studies done and we are admitting we are ignorant of the actual data pro or con to helping people who are distressed about their sexual compulsions. And we admit that ignorance of sexual orientation is one of the main causes of harm and risk to gay people.

So instead of all that messy data stuff, we're going to skip straight ahead to the conclusion that even though failure of attempts to change and rid themselves of distress is the main cause of depression in these people, we recommend no effort and no research at attempts to change; and instead mentally train the patient to enjoy what causes them distress.

In other words, once you're in, you're in and there's no turning back...so you might as well learn to like it..."

ATLANTA [2005 Clinical Psychiatry News] -- Substance abuse is pervasive among gay men and is so intricately intertwined with epidemics of depression, partner abuse, and childhood sexual abuse that adequately addressing one issue requires attention to the others as well, said Ronald Stall, Ph.D., chief of prevention research for the division of HIV/AIDS prevention at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta...
Mayo Clinic 2007
One of the most obvious examples of an environmental factor that increases the chances of an individual becoming an offender is if he or she were sexually abused as a child. This relationship is known as the “victim-to-abuser cycle”or “abused-abusers phenomena.”5,23,24,46......

why the “abused abusers phenomena” occurs: identification with the aggressor, in which the abused child is trying to gain a new identity by becoming the abuser; an imprinted sexual arousal pattern established by early abuse; early abuse leading to hypersexual behavior; or a form of social learning took place http://www.drrichardhall.com/Articles/pedophiles.pdf

Last edited:

Just wondering if you'd care to evaluate this parallel example of the quote you use, which quite clearly shows you're misinterpreting it due to bad grammar:

Ok, let's take another example, this one even more direct:

"Alcoholism is pervasive among Native Americans and is so intricately intertwined with epidemics of Depression and Poverty that adequately addressing one issue requires attention to the others as well."

So what is that statement saying? Is it saying that depression and poverty are intricately intertwined with being Native American? Of course not, that's bad grammar. What it's saying is that alcoholism is common among Native Americans, and that Alcoholism is intricately intertwined with Depression and Poverty which together need to be addressed. IT is not making a statement about why poverty and depression is common among Native Americans, and it most certainly isn't saying that poverty and depression is what MAKES a native american into a native american or that it's a fundamental part of being Native American. That's just a fundamental misunderstanding of English Grammar if you think that's how the sentence should be read. Yet this is how you are reading the original statement regarding gay men. Basic grammar, my friend. In case you need a refresher, here's a quick lesson on the grammar of presenting items in a series:

The Item in a Series

With all that said, take the quote you use again: "Substance abuse is pervasive among gay men and is so intricately intertwined with epidemics of depression, partner abuse, andchildhood sexual abuse that adequately addressing one issue requires attention to the others as well" - This is of identical structure to the previous one. The doctor is saying substance abuse is intertwined with epidemics of depression and abuse, it does not say why gay men face them. That said, you've expressed a great deal of respect for the CDC, so you should therefor acknowledge the multitude of sources that show where they say it does come from... from the stress and side-effects of the social stigma they face.

Here it is, this is the actual thing I was speaking about with the CQR/APA tripe that would have plunged my friend into deeper depression:

Since you are not a mental health professional, and since your 'friend' never even spoke to you of whatever problems he may- or may not have been having- your claim to know how your friend would react is beyond stupid.

So what is the American Psychological Association saying about "Reparative Therapy"(Sexual Orientation Distress and Change Efforts- SOCE)?

The APA concludes that psychology must rely on proven methods of scientific inquiry based on empirical data, on which hypotheses and propositions are confirmed or disconfirmed, as the basis to explore and understand human behavior (APA, 2008a; 2008b).

In response to these concerns, APA appointed the Task Force on Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation to review the available research on SOCE and to provide recommendations to the Association. The Task Force reached the following findings.

There are no studies of adequate scientific rigor to conclude whether or not recent SOCE do or do not work to change a person’s sexual orientation. Scientifically rigorous older work in this area (e.g., Birk, Huddleston, Miller, & Cohler, 1971; James, 1978; McConaghy, 1969, 1976; McConaghy, Proctor, & Barr, 1972; Tanner, 1974, 1975) found that s exual orientation (i.e., erotic attractions and sexual arousal oriented to one sex or the other, or both) was unlikely to change due to efforts designed for this purpose. Some individuals appeared to learn how to ignore or limit their attractions. However, this was much less likely to be true for people whose sexual attractions were initially limited to people of the same sex.

So in this statement- the APA tells you that there are no studies which say whether SOCE works- or do not work.

Although sound data on the safety of SOCE are extremely limited, some individuals reported being harmed by SOCE. Distress and depression were exacerbated. Belief in the hope of sexual orientation change followed by the failure of the treatment was identified as a significant cause of distress and negative self-image (Beckstead & Morrow, 2004; Shidlo & Schroeder, 2002).

Here they point out that there have been reports of harm by reparative therapy

Although there is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation, some individuals modified their sexual orientation identity (i.e., group membership and affiliation), behavior, and values (Nicolosi, Byrd, & Potts, 2000). They did so in a variety of ways and with varied and unpredictable outcomes, some of which were temporary (Beckstead & Morrow, 2004; Shidlo & Schroeder, 2002). Based on the available data, additional claims about the meaning of those outcomes are scientifically unsupported.

Here the APA points out that there is not enough evidence to support reparative therapy- though acknowledging that some individuals did effect some kinds of change through them.

And then the APA concluded with:

On the basis of the Task Force’s findings, the APA encourages mental health professionals to provide assistance to those who seek sexual orientation change by utilizing affirmative multiculturally competent (Bartoli & Gillem, 2008; Brown, 2006) and client-centered approaches (e.g., Beckstead & Israel, 2007; Glassgold, 2008; Haldeman, 2004; Lasser & Gottlieb, 2004) that recognize the negative impact of social stigma on sexual minorities 2 (Herek, 2009; Herek & Garnets, 2007) and balance ethical principles of beneficence and nonmaleficence, justice, and respect for people’s rights and dignity (APA, 1998, 2002; Davison, 1976; Haldeman, 2002; Schneider, Brown, & Glassgold, 2002).

And of course you reject the APA's recommendations.

Forum List

Back