Brittany Maynard ended her own life before her tumor could rob her of it

Torn on this one. On the one hand, if things are truly hopeless, a person should have the right to end it. On the other hand, the worst pain is still better than the best being dead.

Torn on this one. On the one hand, if things are truly hopeless, a person should have the right to end it. On the other hand, the worst pain is still better than the best being dead.

I think we let the individual and their doctor make the decision.

We let it get to that point sooner or later the insurance company is going to want in on the decision making.

We let it get to that point sooner or later the insurance company is going to want in on the decision making.

It is simple enough to exclude the insurance company (or any other attempt to influence the patient) when you write the law.

It is simple enough to exclude the insurance company (or any other attempt to influence the patient) when you write the law.

Yeah, good luck with that.

They are already involved when it comes to the choice between hospice care and continued efforts to cure a person, how is going to the next level going to be rationally stopped?

Had a much longer post written but thinking on it it's an impossible decision to make for others. I think it's the most horrible thing imaginable having to tell someone they're not allowed to end their pain while at the same time think giving up is the most horrible thing too. Plus there's the 'I've never been in the situation so can't know what I'd want' aspect.

I'd rather have seen her become a morphine addict than throw away her soul like that. God has no pity for a suicide.

if it were only about pain, you might have a point. But this tumor also brings about siezures, memory loss, loss of bowel control, headaches, nausea, vomiting, loss of, or difficulty with speech and more.

This tumor had nothing to do with any lifestyle choice she made. If your God has no mercy for someone avoiding the pain and indignity of such an illness, then you are welcome to worship him. I would not.

I'd rather have seen her become a morphine addict than throw away her soul like that. God has no pity for a suicide.
Do you support a law banning suicide for the terminally ill? Would you have government interfere with her personal life decision? How small do you think government should be? Small enough to be unintrusive, or big enough to dictate how much you suffer in your final days?

She had second thoughts and expressed a change of heart. It's my opinion she was pressured into this. It's a shame, nothing noble

I think the true liberal, the true conservative, the libertarian would say, "yes."

She had second thoughts and expressed a change of heart. It's my opinion she was pressured into this. It's a shame, nothing noble

She never expressed second thoughts about ending her own life before the final stages. She expressed second thoughts about when she would do it.

What is a shame is when society insists people go thru horrible pain, loss of dignity, and terrible symptoms, just so we can feel that we are preventing a death. We aren't. We are making their life worse.

if it were only about pain, you might have a point. But this tumor also brings about siezures, memory loss, loss of bowel control, headaches, nausea, vomiting, loss of, or difficulty with speech and more.

This tumor had nothing to do with any lifestyle choice she made. If your God has no mercy for someone avoiding the pain and indignity of such an illness, then you are welcome to worship him. I would not.

No "might" about it.....our lives are given to us and we have no right to throw them away. You can't intellectualize Christian law and expect to find mercy on Judgement Day. Either you're a Christian or you're not....either you follow the rules or you don't and pay the price....NO EXCEPTIONS.

She never expressed second thoughts about ending her own life before the final stages. She expressed second thoughts about when she would do it.

What is a shame is when society insists people go thru horrible pain, loss of dignity, and terrible symptoms, just so we can feel that we are preventing a death. We aren't. We are making their life worse.
Mincing words doesn't help you.

She expressed she was not ready. Period.

No "might" about it.....our lives are given to us and we have no right to throw them away. You can't intellectualize Christian law and expect to find mercy on Judgement Day. Either you're a Christian or you're not....either you follow the rules or you don't and pay the price....NO EXCEPTIONS.

Yeah, you go ahead and do that. But since the laws you refer to are based on translations or translations and edited for political reasons years ago, I'm not buying it.

If God has no more compassion than that, he can keep his heaven and I'll go with reincarnation.

Forum List

Back