Fearless leader to address the children

In many various school groups and activities over the years we have had many guest speakers come in and address the children. Be it in the classroom or at a extra curricular activity dinner. Not once can I ever recall us not being able to not just read their address before hand for content approval, but, also being able to dictate to some degree what basic topic they would be speaking on or what particular part of their life is notable for our group or class.

Further, the latest reports out of the White House pressroom state that this address is being changed and that the finale text is not yet complete, as reported on the early morning news, today.

So as a parent this leaves me in doubt as to what exactly the content will be and what will be said to my children by clearly one of the most intriguing men of our current moment.

Sorry folks, preach all you want, but, this parent isn't biting. This guys track record isn't that good for me to swallow this one! Thankfully our school staff didn't bite either!

Pay attention to the news..
The full speech will be available for review on Sunday

Be prepared for some shocking concepts..
Study hard
Make a plan
Respect yourself, fellow students, teachers
Stay in school

I know these are novel concepts for conservatives....please make your child stay home

Last edited:
Pale Rider. Show us the indoctrination in this lesson plan:

Grades 7-12 Menu of Classroom Activities: President Obama’s Address to Students Across America
Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education
September 8, 2009

Before the Speech:
• Quick Write or Think/Pair/Share (Students spend a few minutes Thinking and writing about the question; Paired with another student to discuss, then Sharing their ideas with the class as a whole). What do we associate with the words responsibility, persistence, and goals? How would we define each term? A teacher might create a web of student ideas for each of the words.
• Quick Write or Brainstorm: What are your strengths? At what are you successful as a person/student? What makes you successful at these efforts? List at least three things you are successful at and why you feel successful with these tasks.
• Short readings. Notable quotes excerpted (and posted in large print on board) from President Obama’s speeches about education. Teacher might ask students to think alone, compare ideas with a partner, and share their collaborations with the class (Think/Pair/Share) about the following: What are our interpretations of these excerpts? Based on these excerpts, what can we infer the President believes is important to be successful educationally?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: Why does President Obama want to speak with us today? How will he inspire us? How will he challenge us? What might he say?
• Brainstorm or Concept Web: What other historic moments do you remember when the President spoke to the nation? What was the impact? Students could create a Cause/Effect graphic organizer.

During the Speech:
• Listening with a purpose: personal responsibility, goals, persistence. Teachers might ask pairs of students to create a word bank from the web of any one of the terms (personal responsibility, goals, or persistence) at the top of a double-column style notes page. On the right-hand side, students could take notes while President Obama talks about personal responsibility, or goals, or persistence, trying to capture direct quotations. At the end of the speech, students could then write the corresponding terms from the word bank in the left hand column, to increase retention and deepen their understanding of an important aspect of the speech.
• Listening with a purpose: Inspiration and Challenges. Using a similar double-column style notes page as the one above, the teacher could focus students on quotations that either propose a specific challenge to them or inspire them in some meaningful way. Students could do this individually, in pairs or groups.

Transition/Quick Review: Teachers could ask students to look over the notes and collaborate in pairs or small groups. What more could we add to our notes? Teachers might circulate and ask students questions such as: What are the most important words in the speech? What title would you give it? What’s the thesis?

After the Speech:
Guided Discussion:
• What resonated with you from President Obama’s speech? What lines/phrases do you remember?
• Who is President Obama addressing? How do you know? Describe his audience.
• We heard President Obama mention the importance of personal responsibility. In your life, who exemplifies this kind of personal responsibility? How? Give examples.
• How are we as individuals and as a class similar? Different?
• Suppose President Obama were to give another speech about being educationally successful. Who could he speak to next? Who should be his next audience? Why? What would he say?
• What are the three most important words in the speech? Rank them. What title would you give this speech? What’s the thesis?
• What is President Obama inspiring you to do? What is he challenging you to do?
• What do you believe are the challenges of your generation?
• How can you be a part of addressing these challenges?
Video Project:
• Teachers could encourage students to participate in the Department of Education’s “I Am What I Learn” video contest. On September 8th the Department will invite K-12 students to submit a video no longer than 2 min, explaining why education is important and how their education will help them achieve their dreams. Teachers are welcome to incorporate the same or a similar video project into an assignment. More details will be released via U.S. Department of Education Home Page.

Could I please read the speech?

I understand it is available tomorrow (Sunday). I will link it for you if you need me to.

In many various school groups and activities over the years we have had many guest speakers come in and address the children. Be it in the classroom or at a extra curricular activity dinner. Not once can I ever recall us not being able to not just read their address before hand for content approval, but, also being able to dictate to some degree what basic topic they would be speaking on or what particular part of their life is notable for our group or class.

Further, the latest reports out of the White House pressroom state that this address is being changed and that the finale text is not yet complete, as reported on the early morning news, today.

So as a parent this leaves me in doubt as to what exactly the content will be and what will be said to my children by clearly one of the most intriguing men of our current moment.

Sorry folks, preach all you want, but, this parent isn't biting. This guys track record isn't that good for me to swallow this one! Thankfully our school staff didn't bite either!

Pay attention to the news..
The full speech will be available for review on Monday

Be prepared for some shocking concepts..
Study hard
Make a plan
Respect yourself, fellow students, teachers
Stay in school

I know these are novel concepts for conservatives....please make your child stay home

The new speech, the old one , ah, that hasn't been released .
Conservatives teach their children values.
Liberals need the government to tell their abortions what to do with their lives .

The lesson plans are out there. The speech will be out there tomorrow for everyone to look at. I will come back and ask you where the indoctrination part of the speech/lesson plans is. OK? Just giving you time to do your so-called research.

The speech and the lesson plans (indoctrination) should be made available to all parents before hand, in full detail, just as all things taught are in our schools are. I review text books and lesson plans each year, all the time and I am kept abreast of changes and new things all the time for my review by school staff.

So after the fact is of little use. I am the parent. I decide what and what is not acceptable for my child, not a politician who wishes to instill his/her ideals onto my child, without my consideration and that is all Obama is and is doing!

The lesson plans are available now on the web and the speech will be available tomorrow...Sunday.

Next?

Next?

This is simple! .............. Monday is a holiday, so basically they are leaving no time for teachers and school administrators to properly review all information, discuss it and make a decision, hence, to allow it, is foolish.

Frankly just the simple fact that the address even needs to be rewritten sends up red flag!

Well at least to those who are will to question and not simply follow!

Why did it need to be rewritten if it was acceptable and not in any fashion politically lined? ahuh

As I said, this parent is biting.

This kind of reminds me of the healthcare bill everyone is expected to accept and vote on, even though most never even read it. LOL wow

Wait, wait.............. now someone claims the speech will be made for review on Monday!

LOL .............. red flags all over the place.

Sell this one to someone else!

By the way Right-Winger and others, I hope his address to the children is full of good learning values and no politics what so ever.

But, for anyone, yes even the president to expect me to give that type of access to my child without ample time to review and discussion the content? I don't think so.

Further since I have strived to listen to his many, many addresses, large and small for two years now, he gives me every reason in the world to doubt him and to be suspect of what he might slide in there. As with nearly all politicians.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, as my being wrong only benefits the children and my child, should I choose, can read the speech at a later date and do workups on it here at home.

And once more, I am thankful that the school is not willing to provide access on something which they too cannot properly review and discuss.

By the way Right-Winger and others, I hope his address to the children is full of good learning values and no politics what so ever.

But, for anyone, yes even the president to expect me to give that type of access to my child without ample time to review and discussion the content? I don't think so.

Further since I have strived to listen to his many, many addresses, large and small for two years now, he gives me every reason in the world to doubt him and to be suspect of what he might slide in there. As with nearly all politicians.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, as my being wrong only benefits the children and my child, should I choose, can read the speech at a later date and do workups on it here at home.

And once more, I am thankful that the school is not willing to provide access on something which they too cannot properly review and discuss.

The speech will be out tomorrow..

But let me be the first to predict.......That no matter how benign the speech is, no matter how filled with educational values....the republicans will find a single sentence or phrase that they will misinterpret or misrepresent and label the whole speech as "indoctrination"

So. ... So Whom is entitled to Free Speech? Is it Arbitrary now? Use It and Defend it, or Lose It.

But let me be the first to predict.......That no matter how benign the speech is, no matter how filled with educational values....the republicans will find a single sentence or phrase that they will misinterpret or misrepresent and label the whole speech as "indoctrination"

Their minds about this speech were made up the day we were told it was going to be made.

I hope none of the wingnut's kids slit their wrists in solidarity as a way to get out of listening to Obama speak.

Well, I don't know that I am really a Republican, but, I am opposed to the speech and I make no excuses in being against Obama's politics. But, if I like the speech, as I have liked others he has made, I would have no problem saying so.

Further, if uses any of it to play politics with, then yes, he blows the entire good purpose of the entire thing. It is either meant to simply be good advice for any young person or it isn't.

Their minds about this speech were made up the day we were told it was going to be made.

Really?

Mine wasn't, not until I could not get the information I wanted and not until Obama waffled on it, changing the content. This isn't rocket science. If he was sincere and if the speech was intended only to teach good learning values and no politics, then it would not need to be altered.

Well, I don't know that I am really a Republican, but, I am opposed to the speech and I make no excuses in being against Obama's politics. But, if I like the speech, as I have liked others he has made, I would have no problem saying so.

Further, if uses any of it to play politics with, then yes, he blows the entire good purpose of the entire thing. It is either meant to simply be good advice for any young person or it isn't.

Fair enough then... I'll be looking forward to your unbiased opinion

[quoteI hope none of the wingnut's kids slit their wrists in solidarity as a way to get out of listening to Obama speak. ][/quote]

No fear, responsible parents will keep their children home or out of the classroom during that time period.

The only ones at risk are the liberals who are just now realizing what they voted into office!

No, Though just as He has a Right to Speak, They should have a Right to Attend Voluntarily, or Not. I would have encouraged my Kids to attend, and discussed in detail the agenda, before and after. Sort of Like "The Emperor Has No Clothes".

I agree...you should have seen what two posters here made out of the 7-12 lesson plan. It was hysterical! :lol:

This will prove a major victory for the president. The rightwing propaganda machine has in their own inimitable way built up the expectation that President Obama is going to deliver some evil message of mind control that is going to be filled with partisan political brainwashing. The message will be no such thing, it will be great, normal Americans will not only find it praiseworthy but will also once again wonder WTF is wrong with the looney right in America.

Here's another bandaid for your foot, righties. Good shot.

BHO is turning the modern forms of communication to his political advantage against the GOP as was FDR the master of the radio fireside chat. That is why Republicans are screaming, and while some con posters here happily enjoy being reamed, most Republicans countrywide don't.

Obama is winning this issue easily.

Still haven't answered the question Harry "I hate everyone" Dresden

Name the potential candidate you support?

right now anyone who is a real leader in this country will not come forward because of the scrutiny and bullshit their families,not them,their family, would have to put up with,with the media we have in this country......its not worth it....with each of the parties they are scratching the bottom of their respective barrels..the good guys dont need this shit and will stay at home....so there is no one out there that i can see except more of the same 3rd rate politicians we already have....pretty sad aint it?...........

Names Harry....Names??
Not dreams but names

if i cant see em....how can i give you a name?

Forum List

Back