Father boards school bus to confront bullies picking on his special needs daughter

The smart thing would have been to file criminal assault charges on the kids who bullied his daughter. A few thousand in legal fees and the prospect of your kid going to juvie might be the wake-up call the parents need to teach some life lessons in not being an asshole.

IMVHO, the kids shouldn't have messed with the handicapped child, it shows VERY low class parenting. But, they are kids. Paddle their asses, and move on. Oh, we can't do that, then the paddled kids parents will scream.

So the TEACHERS should be able to physically whoop a kid's ass with a paddle, but god forbid a father boards a bus to verbally strike a little fear in a kid when no one else would?

I think it's time for you to quit the internet. You've posted yourself RETARDED.

IMVHO, the kids shouldn't have messed with the handicapped child, it shows VERY low class parenting. But, they are kids. Paddle their asses, and move on. Oh, we can't do that, then the paddled kids parents will scream.

So the TEACHERS should be able to physically whoop a kid's ass with a paddle, but god forbid a father boards a bus to verbally strike a little fear in a kid when no one else would?

I think it's time for you to quit the internet. You've posted yourself RETARDED.

again, at MY school we have corporal punishment, but the teachers aren't allowed to administer it, only the VP of Behavior, and yes that's his title even though he has other duties as well, this is his MAIN duty.

And no, these kids wouldn't have been paddled if they were at our school, they would have been expelled if they had touched that little girl in anyway. We have a ZERO tolerance for bullying. That includes this father, we absolutely would have pressed charges against him as well. You can NOT bully people , no matter your justification.

It's not bullying to DEFEND A CHILD from harassment and assault. Why is that so hard to grasp?

The whole concept of waiting, letting the little girl continue to be harrangued, humiliated and manhandled, is not acceptable. It isn't bullying to stick up for your kid if your kid is being bullied, and it ISN'T bullying. It's called defense, and it's legal and perfectly acceptable.

again, at MY school we have corporal punishment, but the teachers aren't allowed to administer it, only the VP of Behavior, and yes that's his title even though he has other duties as well, this is his MAIN duty.

And no, these kids wouldn't have been paddled if they were at our school, they would have been expelled if they had touched that little girl in anyway. We have a ZERO tolerance for bullying. That includes this father, we absolutely would have pressed charges against him as well. You can NOT bully people , no matter your justification.

Bullying is pre-emptive, and a form of abuse.

It's meant for the specific purpose of intentionally hurting someone else physically or emotionally, simply because you have the power to do so for one reason or another.

By your logic, if the girl responded back physically, then she's "bullying" them as well. For all we know, she's got strength beyond that of the kid who threw the condom on her and slapped her. You wouldn't consider it bullying though, if she retaliated and ended up breaking the kids arm or something.

The father did for his daughter what she apparently could not do, and that was stick up for herself.

I'm not sure how that even comes CLOSE to a definition of "bullying".

It's no different than if a friend of hers on the bus happened to stick up for her. Or even the bus driver himself. If the bus driver stood up and cussed the kid out, is he being a bully?

You can argue who's "job" it is to handle this situation, but you're not going to win me over on the father being a "bully". It doesn't fly.

It's not bullying to DEFEND A CHILD from harassment and assault. Why is that so hard to grasp?

The whole concept of waiting, letting the little girl continue to be harrangued, humiliated and manhandled, is not acceptable. It isn't bullying to stick up for your kid if your kid is being bullied, and it ISN'T bullying. It's called defense, and it's legal and perfectly acceptable.

BUZZZZ. Wrong, A) it is illegal to board a school bus B) It is illegal for an adult to threaten children (and let's stop playing gmaes, that dad threatened the kids who were harassing his kid) C) It IS bullying when you take advantage of being bigger and stronger than someone in an attempt to get your own way, which is EXACTLY what this father did.

The proper procedure is to take it to the school. If you feel your child is in immediate danger, you of course have the right, and in fact I would say the obligation, to remove your child from the setting. you do NOT have the right to threaten people who you feel have done wrong.

I'll add another thing here, by accosting these children the way he did, this father took away their right of due process. He just got in their face and started yelling at EVERYONE. It wasn't until later that he seen any video evidence of who was actually involved.

I understand the idea that it sounds good to say i confronted the bullies who were picking on my child; but his actions were wrong on SO many levels that I quite literally can't believe that anyone would really defend him.

Now if you want to discuss should he be punished, I don't think he should be, but he should be damn well told that if a situation arises like that again and he responds the same way his ass will be standing trial.

The most effective defense against bullies are peers. Schools should ID a few student leaders and have them look out for the special needs kids. They are usually honored to oblige and the effect is much greater than the adults intervening IMHO.

The most effective defense against bullies are peers. Schools should ID a few student leaders and have them look out for the special needs kids. They are usually honored to oblige and the effect is much greater than the adults intervening IMHO.

Student bouncers?

You don't think will lead to a ton of unwanted fights?

Bullying is pre-emptive, and a form of abuse.

It's meant for the specific purpose of intentionally hurting someone else physically or emotionally, simply because you have the power to do so for one reason or another.

By your logic, if the girl responded back physically, then she's "bullying" them as well. For all we know, she's got strength beyond that of the kid who threw the condom on her and slapped her. You wouldn't consider it bullying though, if she retaliated and ended up breaking the kids arm or something.

The father did for his daughter what she apparently could not do, and that was stick up for herself.

I'm not sure how that even comes CLOSE to a definition of "bullying".

It's no different than if a friend of hers on the bus happened to stick up for her. Or even the bus driver himself. If the bus driver stood up and cussed the kid out, is he being a bully?

You can argue who's "job" it is to handle this situation, but you're not going to win me over on the father being a "bully". It doesn't fly.

You are of course wrong here. IF the father had been sitting there when the event took place and had intervened it would not have been bullying. But that is not the case. The father came at a later point and bullied children to get his own way.

The following is an example of a school policy defining bullying:

For the purpose of this policy, “bullying” means any physical act or gesture or any verbally, written or electronically communicated expression that”

A. A reasonable person should expect will have the effect of:

1. Physically harming a student or damaging a student’s property.

2. Placing a student in reasonable fear of physical harm or damage to his/her property; or

3. Substantially disrupting the instructional program or the orderly operations of the school; or

4. Is so severe, persistent, or pervasive that it creates an intimidating, hostile educational environment for the student who is bullied.

Bullying Law & Legal Definition

2. Do you not think those kids were probably afraid when a grown man confronted them? You can guarantee they were, and justifications don't cut it. You can't bully someone who bullied someone else and say it's ok

3. He prevented the bus driver from continuing his route, thereby disrupting the process of taking children home, which is of course part of school and covered by school policy.

I've been on a school board for several years and I have seen every type of bullying you can imagine. We pressed charges on a man for intimidating a referee at a basketball game, we've pressed criminal charges on children who were bullying when we felt it was appropriate, we have pressed charges on parents who were bullying their OWN children on school grounds. Bullying is NOT limited to child/child interactions.

Student bouncers?

No paulie, she's suggesting the same thing I said a few pages back. My son would have caught the condom tosser off campus and kicked his ass. teenager to teenager. That isn't bullying, hey that's kids being kids (oops guess that works both ways condom tosser.)

it is entirely different than an adult forcing his way onto a bus to confront children.

Nah. Peer leaders don't like to get suspended. Our school actually asked a big troublemaker to look after a tiny freshman that got picked on a lot (he was actually very annoying), and they became buddies. A few strong words often does the trick.

Further video of the event contains the sound of students laughing after the father left the bus.

I don't think they were really all that fazed by it, bro.

You're grasping at straws, and we'll agree to disagree on it because you at least don't believe the father should be punished. I can live with that.

Student bouncers?

No paulie, she's suggesting the same thing I said a few pages back. My son would have caught the condom tosser off campus and kicked his ass. teenager to teenager. That isn't bullying, hey that's kids being kids (oops guess that works both ways condom tosser.)

it is entirely different than an adult forcing his way onto a bus to confront children.

You're talking about handling it privately between peers, Chanel is talking about the school itself actually ASSIGNING the "enforcer", or whatever you would choose to call it.

I would be ok with that if it didn't lead to unnecessary fighting.

Further video of the event contains the sound of students laughing after the father left the bus.

You're grasping at straws, and we'll agree to disagree on it because you at least don't believe the father should be punished. I can live with that.

LOL - Are you really going to use their laughter as something here?

A) Ever hear of nervous laughter

B) Of course they were all going to act brave AFTER he left

C) No one actually has to feel intimidated for it to be bullying, all that has to be shown is that the person ATTEMPTED to intimidate someone, which that father clearly did.

So , while I don't think he should be prosecuted I definitely think he was a dumb shit, and that would be his ONE warning at my school.

C) No one actually has to feel intimidated for it to be bullying, all that has to be shown is that the person ATTEMPTED to intimidate someone, which that father clearly did.

So , while I don't think he should be prosecuted I definitely think he was a dumb shit, and that would be his ONE warning at my school.

I'm not interested in psychoanalyzing the situation.

The father broke a law, and I don't disagree with that.

Sometimes, laws have justification for being broken on occasion.

You're only viewing this from a law enforcement perspective. It's your JOB to enforce every law on the book, whether you might happen to disagree with it or not.

I'm not a cop. I look at it subjectively.

At the end of the day, he got the school's attention and a petty offense charge. The petty offense was worth it, in my book.

Let's no go around in circles over this, huh? You have your view, I have mine.

You're only viewing this from a law enforcement perspective. It's your JOB to enforce every law on the book, whether you might happen to disagree with it or not.

At the end of the day, he got the school's attention and a petty offense charge. The petty offense was worth it, in my book.

No, what it is is that I look at more than just this one case. Sure in this case it worked out. but what if the NEXT time some father does this, someone ends up dead? We as a society don't condone vigilantism for a reason Paulie. This wasn't about justice, this was about dad got mad and vented. If it were about justice and safety for his child he wold have followed procedure. So while as a parent I certainly understand the anger, that in noway condones the action.

Surely we agree that no one ever needs to die over something like this? Certainly we can agree that given the number of total whack jobs out there that sooner or later some moron would take exception to his child being accosted by the parent of a child his little angel accosted and would react badly?

That must MUST be prevented at all cost, and is why we have laws and such.

What about the rest of the kids on the bus who laughed, joined in or did nothing?
Parents don't teach their kids anything any more.

Anymore? what planet did you grow up on. When I was in grade school many years ago :) kids were every bit the assholes they are today. It's a group thing. They all want to fit in. When they see it they simply copy each others behavior. Most of those who think about doing something about it, probably do not out of fear of being the next target. So they either be quiet or join in to fit in.

been that way forever bud.

not me! when kids picked on the fat guy/gal or the ugly guy/gal or the kid with buck teeth, that automatically put the one being picked on, on my list of friends...shocking all the ''in'' crowd which i was supposedly a part of being a cheerleader and in Student Council etc, and shutting them up as well!

No, what it is is that I look at more than just this one case. Sure in this case it worked out. but what if the NEXT time some father does this, someone ends up dead? We as a society don't condone vigilantism for a reason Paulie. This wasn't about justice, this was about dad got mad and vented. If it were about justice and safety for his child he wold have followed procedure. So while as a parent I certainly understand the anger, that in noway condones the action.

Surely we agree that no one ever needs to die over something like this? Certainly we can agree that given the number of total whack jobs out there that sooner or later some moron would take exception to his child being accosted by the parent of a child his little angel accosted and would react badly?

I see your point.

But if another father goes onto a school bus and sprays the kids down with a machine gun, it isn't going to be because some kind of precedent was set in THIS case.

The dude's gonna do it regardless of "school rules" or whatever.

That's a pretty broad analogy to use.

Maybe we need Bus Marshalls now too. :rolleyes:

Hey CornHole.
If you suddenly found out one of your relatives was growing a pot plant, would you tazer him/her and cart them off to jail ?.............Scarily, I'd guess that yes is the answer.
Brainwashed piece of shit.

I see your point.

But if another father goes onto a school bus and sprays the kids down with a machine gun, it isn't going to be because some kind of precedent was set in THIS case.

The dude's gonna do it regardless of "school rules" or whatever.

That's a pretty broad analogy to use.

Maybe we need Bus Marshalls now too. :rolleyes:

I know you're being facetious there Paulie, but there is some truth to that. Driving a school bus in traffic today is hard enough, let alone watching over 40 + kids while doing so. I wish that it was in the budget to provide for a second adult to be on the bus who's sole job it was monitor the children so the driver could concentrate on driving. Or that parents or teachers would volunteer to take turns doing so. You know what though, I bet that THIS father would be one of the last ones to volunteer. That is sadly how it usually works.

I am a big fan of doing things technologically. I am working on a system to implement at my school where all the buses are equipped with internet video cameras which can transmit live video back to the school where it can be monitored in real time by a school employee who is trained in such situations and who has the authority to take action when needed. It's pretty expensive since all buses will have to be equipped with the internet and such, and we would have to hire the person who is going to do the monitoring job, but a school has to do what it has to do to protect the kids.

Forum List

Back