Fast Food Workers Going On Strike

Ya know the only thing I dont get about it, is Australia has like a US $15 dollar minimum wage, how do they get away with it? if you use google, big macs dont cost that much more over there and their UE is like a "official" 5.7% but the UE for 15~ 19 year olds in Australia is like 16%......, is it because they are small or something?

Yeah, it's $5.20 down under, or nearly 90% higher in price. This tracks with value - the wage was increased - but the purchasing power did not increase, it merely pushed prices up.

Big Mac Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not on the Left. I just see some middle-ground here. There's no need to rush to the Corporations' defense on everything. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. In fact, i consider it their Patriotic Duty to do so. That being said, Fast Food jobs won't likely support your Family. So you have to understand what you're getting into. Get an education, get a trade.

No, they can’t afford to pay them a decent wage. That is not because the company does not make enough money either, that is actually rather irrelevant. They can’t afford a ‘decent’ wage because the workers do not provide a decent product. That is just the way it is. The end product – the burger – has a value. The money is just the way that value is expressed. If we demand that the wages of the lower employees are raised, the wages all across the board are going to have to increase as well as the other workers are going to demand more for the increased value that they represent over that of the unskilled and replaceable worker. Essentially, what you have caused is raised wages across the board, product increases and ultimately the worker has the same buying power as before because, in the end, that burger has the same intrinsic value that it has always had no matter how many worthless dollars you write onto the price tag.

The fact is that janitors, fast food clerks and the like are never going to be well off or even make enough to feed a family no matter what you make the minimum wage. You need to find a skill for that.

Ya know the only thing I dont get about it, is Australia has like a US $15 dollar minimum wage, how do they get away with it? if you use google, big macs dont cost that much more over there and their UE is like a "official" 5.7% but the UE for 15~ 19 year olds in Australia is like 16%......, is it because they are small or something?

I would guess that the average living there is not the same as over here but that would have to be a guess because I have not went to Australia to live yet. I can tell you that many European countries are like that, with far higher wages for the lower workers and it has cost the middle class HUGELY. They do NOT live like Americans do. Poor Americans have far more creature comforts than the average German does but then again, their culture is also largely different and does not emphasize the same values that we have.

I can say that size does have an influence though. Population seems, to me at least, to have a geometric effect rather than a direct effect on things like crime and economic conditions.

Yeah, it's $5.20 down under, or nearly 90% higher in price. This tracks with value - the wage was increased - but the purchasing power did not increase, it merely pushed prices up.

Interesting that it is twice the price and they make…
Twice the amount. Go figure, LOL.

Does $15 dollars/hour make sense economical leftist? If it doesn't the workers may lose their jobs as the business closes down.

And that's a great point.

It's not just the fact that the market will ALWAYS seek equilibrium, but the upheaval caused as the market adjusts. It will be the low wage workers who suffer - it always is. And in the end, this is all to satiate the greed of unions.

dang $9 bucks for a big mac in norway? thanks for the link

I'm not on the Left.

Oh, well okie-dokie then...

I just see some middle-ground here. There's no need to rush to the Corporations' defense on everything. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. In fact, i consider it their Patriotic Duty to do so. That being said, Fast Food jobs won't likely support your Family. So you have to understand what you're getting into. Get an education, get a trade.

You see the statement of economic fact as "rushing to the defense of corporations." I merely see it as "reality."

I'm not accusing you personally, but i do often see a Knee-Jerk defense of Corporations. They don't need the defending. They're doing just fine. Pay an American a decent wage. It's their Patriotic Duty.

I'm not on the Left.

I just see some middle-ground here. There's no need to rush to the Corporations' defense on everything. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. In fact, i consider it their Patriotic Duty to do so. That being said, Fast Food jobs won't likely support your Family. So you have to understand what you're getting into. Get an education, get a trade.

You see the statement of economic fact as "rushing to the defense of corporations." I merely see it as "reality."

I'm not accusing you personally, but i do often see a Knee-Jerk defense of Corporations. They don't need the defending. They're doing just fine. Pay an American a decent wage. It's their Patriotic Duty.

How do you pay more then they're worth within the market? Take a economic class.

No, they can’t afford to pay them a decent wage. That is not because the company does not make enough money either, that is actually rather irrelevant. They can’t afford a ‘decent’ wage because the workers do not provide a decent product. That is just the way it is. The end product – the burger – has a value. The money is just the way that value is expressed. If we demand that the wages of the lower employees are raised, the wages all across the board are going to have to increase as well as the other workers are going to demand more for the increased value that they represent over that of the unskilled and replaceable worker. Essentially, what you have caused is raised wages across the board, product increases and ultimately the worker has the same buying power as before because, in the end, that burger has the same intrinsic value that it has always had no matter how many worthless dollars you write onto the price tag.

The fact is that janitors, fast food clerks and the like are never going to be well off or even make enough to feed a family no matter what you make the minimum wage. You need to find a skill for that.

I would guess that the average living there is not the same as over here but that would have to be a guess because I have not went to Australia to live yet. I can tell you that many European countries are like that, with far higher wages for the lower workers and it has cost the middle class HUGELY. They do NOT live like Americans do. Poor Americans have far more creature comforts than the average German does but then again, their culture is also largely different and does not emphasize the same values that we have.

I can say that size does have an influence though. Population seems, to me at least, to have a geometric effect rather than a direct effect on things like crime and economic conditions.

yea I always thought it would crush the middle class if the minimum wage would double, just pulling a number out of my butt, but I would bet 50% plus of Americans make between $10 and $ 25 an hour. trickle up poor. the middle class wouldnt get a 100% raise to $20 ~ $50 bucks an hour.

How do you pay more then they're worth within the market? Take a economic class.

Take a human decency class. I'll never get the Knee-Jerk defense of Corporations. They really don't need the defending. They're doing fine. Try the middle-ground approach. We are talking about human beings and fellow Americans.

I'm willing to pay more for a burger if it will provide a living wage for someone who needs it.

But it won't.

The value of anything is determined by the market. An artificial wage spike won't make the burger have more value, it will simply drive the consumer to different venues up to and including eating at home.

FA_Q2 explained it perfectly.

Understood. Let's throw caution to the wind and try it anyway, and devil take the hindmost. Let's put it to the test and see whether that's actually true or not.

Understood. Let's throw caution to the wind and try it anyway, and devil take the hindmost. Let's put it to the test and see whether that's actually true or not.

Because the last 50 times it was tried and failed didn't convince you?

A fundamental grasp of market economics is severely lacking in this nation.

I wasn't talking about raising the minimum wage.

I was talking about letting the fast food workers organize and force higher wages within their narrow sector.

I have an average layman's / yoeman's grasp of action-and-reaction in a market economy, having taken a couple of macro-economics courses a thousand years ago, and claim no particular insight or expertise.

What I DO see, however, is a market-sector that benefits greatly from near-slave-wages - worker-bees whose shelter and care must be subsidized on the public dole - and I'm willing to experiment with a market-segment like that, to see if such answers can bring some relief to that lot, without triggering a substantive domino-effect elsewhere.

If it gets 'em out of subsidized housing and off Medicaid and food stamps and all that, then, it might prove worth the risk.

Because things sure-as-hell aren't gonna get any better for such folk (or for the taxpaying public that has to carry their water for them) by continuing to rely upon laissez faire priniciples...

Sometimes, doing nothing is better than doing the wrong thing...

And sometimes, doing nothing is worse than doing the wrong thing or an uncertain thing...

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that we are looking at a case of the latter here (do something) rather than the former...

Intervention is oftentimes the wrong answer...

But sometimes...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Slave Labor has become all the rage in this country. We've gone backwards in that regard. American Businesses have attempted to adopt the Slave Labor formula. They have tried to implement the Slave Labor practices of Asia, South America, and Africa. It's a real shame. I consider those Businesses to be Anti-American. It's no way to treat your fellow Americans.

Unfortunately, Slave Labor has become all the rage in this country. We've gone backwards in that regard. American Businesses have attempted to adopt the Slave Labor formula. They have tried to implement the Slave Labor practices of Asia, South America, and Africa. It's a real shame. I consider those Businesses to be Anti-American. It's no way to treat your fellow Americans.

Where have a link? and not from some crybaby that work is to hard..... I have been in at least a 1000 plus plastic manufaturing companys in my life

Forum List

Back