Fast Food Workers Going On Strike

The $1000 dollars I put under the matteress in 1983 only has like $476 worth of buying power today, go to hell.
We should penalize all of society for your stupidity?

A man who works for minimum wage for 20 years does not have a recourse to blame minimum wage. Only himself.

A man who puts a thousand dollars in a matress for 20 years deserves the loss of 524 dollars for his ignorance.

WtF you talking about? you think its ok for the government to print money to no end and ruins savings? you dont get intrest anymore if you put your money in savings.

Hilarious. FF workers seem to think that they are valuable enough to actually strike, what a joke. News flash, if you don’t have a skill or something else that is valuable to an employer, you lose any and all influence with a strike as the employers simply replace you.

Did they not take a look at the unemployment numbers? Hell, this would make a little more sense with 4% unemployment where workers were not waiting in line to replace you. Right now, with double that needing a job and twice that again that are not fully employed, your bargaining position is zero.

I really sympathise with these guys and I rarely go to these restaurants. Still, if they increase the prices, it's going to hurt. Travelling around Europe, prices in McDonald's and Burger King for a full meal could be matched by sitting down in a nice and normal pizzeria most of the time. But the workers need to support their families - look at statistics on Burger King sales per restaurant - the workers should be seeing a bit more of that, hopefully without a substantial price increase.

Doubling McDonald's Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More: Study

The $1000 dollars I put under the matteress in 1983 only has like $476 worth of buying power today, go to hell.

A man who works for minimum wage for 20 years does not have a recourse to blame minimum wage. Only himself.

A man who puts a thousand dollars in a matress for 20 years deserves the loss of 524 dollars for his ignorance.

I really sympathise with these guys and I rarely go to these restaurants. Still, if they increase the prices, it's going to hurt. Travelling around Europe, prices in McDonald's and Burger King for a full meal could be matched by sitting down in a nice and normal pizzeria most of the time. But the workers need to support their families - look at statistics on Burger King sales per restaurant - the workers should be seeing a bit more of that, hopefully without a substantial price increase.

Doubling McDonald's Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More: Study

its fun trying to run some one elses life/ bussiness right? control freak.

Where in my post did I say I wanted to "control" their business? I posted an article that talks about a study, that's all. Perhaps you should consider decaf.

Where in my post did I say I wanted to "control" their business? I posted an article that talks about a study, that's all. Perhaps you should consider decaf.

Have a tooth ache today and my damn blazer stalled out twice today on the way to work, irratable, thanks for caring though....

You will see many fast food chains and independent restaurants close, the price of a fast food meal for two is fast approaching the price of a sit down meal. It would be cheaper to just to cook your meals at home.:eek:

You will see many fast food chains and independent restaurants close, the price of a fast food meal for two is fast approaching the price of a sit down meal. It would be cheaper to just to cook your meals at home.:eek:

Whew...yeah...that extra .68 cents is really gonna break the bank. Just like an extra .16 cents on a pizza to provide all employees health care would be just awful. :rolleyes:

:clap:

Good for them.

This is what happens when you let your emotions rule instead of your head.

Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is one of those things that SOUNDS wonderful until you look at what really happens when you make a massive increase in labor costs. Look for unemployment among the young to skyrocket if some idiots actually pass this nonsense.

Except that is not how it would really work out. Instead, it is more likely that the prices would remain relatively close to what they are and instead, McDonalds would fire a portion of their workforce to make up the difference.

In reality, those prices are set to move the most product for the profit margin. Increase that price by almost 20% (that is what he is suggesting, a 17% increase in all prices) is going to affect the overall product sold. That is a fact. That will also cut into the profit margins and change a lot if things around, not the least of which would be that reduction that I mentioned. The real impact is more likely there will simply be fewer workers.

It is worth nothing, by the way, that the cite supplied was not a ‘study.’ The claim made stretches the meaning of that word to the utmost limit. All that was done is figuring out the amount of money in total sales that goes to employee benefits. They found that to be 17.1 percent. Then they ASSUME that you could simply double that and add that onto the price. Business is not that simple.

It is healthier if not cheaper to cook at home. A nice salad, a burger with portobello mushrooms and cheese. I can make four 1/4 pounders with all the fixins and it would cost $2.

As a regular patron of several Fast Food chains, I can say with some confidence that it is possible to get a fairly nutritious meal at just about all of them, if that's what you really want. Also, they are hyper-sensitive to the effect of increasing prices on total sales, and follow this constantly. Wendy's has a practice of offering "higher value" products alongside the standard stuff, for a significant price premium (e.g., "natural" lemonade vs. powdered lemonade), then when the premium product starts to sell well, they jack up the price on the "base" product. Pretty sneaky, but apparently successful.

Today's "Progressives" refuse to accept many fundamental facts about MW and near-MW employment. First of all, it is a totally voluntary "contract" situation. For every hiring event, there is an employer who has established a job and a wage, and their is an applicant, for whom that job and wage is the BEST ALTERNATIVE for employment for them at that time. If they had a better alternative - unless they are stupid - they would take it.

Second, this is an "employment at will" scenario, on both sides. Not only is the employer free to terminate the employment at any time for any reason - other than an illegal reason, but the employee can quit at literally any moment, and suffer no consequences other than the possible loss of a few dollars of compensation (if the employer messes with the final paycheck in spite). So again, if any employee believes that s/he can get a better deal someplace else, there is NOTHING preventing that person from doing so, without delay.

Third, a person's cost of living is a totally independent factor from that same person's economic value as an employee. If two applicants apply for the same job and one of them is the head of a household of 7, and the other one is a 27-year-old Fine Arts graduate, living at home with his parents, the compensation for that job will be the same, regardless of which one is hired. If the 27-year-old kid later marries a widow with three children, is he entitled to a raise? Of course not. His cost of living is irrelevant to the employer.

Fourth (related to the third), not every job has sufficient value to an employer to provide what may be called, "a living wage." And this disparity is not because the employer is evil, or greedy, but it is the nature of some employment. If I as the owner of a convenience store decide that I want someone working out at the gas pumps to clean the windshields, check the tires and oil, and pump gas for my customers, the likelihood is that this service will not generate much of a premium in what I can charge for my gas. So the people I hire will have to settle for the minimum legal wage. But if I can find people willing to accept that job - even knowing that they will be working at times in the rain, snow, sleet, and biting cold, and knowing that many of the customers will not appreciate the service, then why can't I hire them at MW, and why can't they have those jobs?

Because some Progressive asshole who has probably never had a real job in his life decides that MW is not a "living wage"?

Have we not heard the expression, "freedom of contract"?

One might note that the FF workers in our big cities cannot technically go "on strike." They are employees at will, are not represented by a CBU, and have NO PROTECTION under the National Labor Relations Act. Indeed, they can be fired on the spot for not coming to work and for activity that works against the interests of the employer.

And I assure you that each and every one of the actual "strikers" (as opposed to the paid SEIU operatives who are with them) KNOWS that s/he is subject to termination, and furthermore that they can be replaced instantly by others who will gladly take those jobs at MW (or a little bit over MW).

They need to go out and get better jobs, or DO a better job at the FF place, so they will be promoted to supervisor and make more money.

Really.

yea they do have good Zucchini.....there is a Fat Burger in BP too.....

Never was a fan of them. They seemed expensive and the 6 pound burger at Carl's is better...

Standard Disclaimer: Wait, was that a $6 burger??? - either way works..

I brown bag it every day and really go to fast food (other than McDonald's for the kids - but I let them eat and I abstain). However, best burgers in Chicagoland area are Smashburger and Five Guys! I personally prefer grilling a 99% fat free tasty burger at home with my special sauces.

$15.00/hour to flip boigahs?

They should hold out for at least $45.00/hour.

I mean, those are not just some entry level jobs there. That's some seriously SKILLED labor we're talkin' about.

I'm sure that most Americans who enjoy the occasional Big Mac will fork over $20.00 for one WITH fries!

Huffo puffo fluffo piece

But regardless.. $0.68 more on a $2.50 sandwich.. one hell of a % increase in the cost of food

But you, and the idiot opinion piece, also neglect to address the fact that the increase in unskilled minimum wage worker salary has other fallout.. namely the more skilled workers currently making $10-15 an hour are not suddenly going to be satisfied with making the same as a fucking burger flipper....

The article links to HuffingGlue which uses the Communist publication Salon as a source. Salon goes on to use graduate student in statistics, Arnobio Morelix as their source.

This is the quality that you of the extreme left use to base you ideas on, pronouncements from students not even in the field of study. Granted, you could never find a business student who would make a stupid claim that increasing labor cost by 100% would "only" cause retail prices to rise by 17%

Forum List

Back