Fast Food Workers Going On Strike

You will see many fast food chains and independent restaurants close, the price of a fast food meal for two is fast approaching the price of a sit down meal. It would be cheaper to just to cook your meals at home.:eek:

Whew...yeah...that extra .68 cents is really gonna break the bank. Just like an extra .16 cents on a pizza to provide all employees health care would be just awful. :rolleyes:

What next?? Provide them with other insurance for auto, fire, home, etc??

Employers do not pay for other insurances like that.. why??

The answer is FUCKING INTRUSIVE GOVERNMENT....

They made health insurance what it never was meant to be and never should have been.. an all inclusive plan...

When you pay for auto insurance... You use it to vacuum your car?? To rotate your tires?? To get a tune up?? no.... you use it for accidents, catastrophic issues, etc... you pay for upkeep and maintenance YOURSELF..... as it should be with health insurance...

Because health insurance has been forced to be a pay all for every last little thing, prices have increased, you don't know what the true cost of anything is, and there is no competition or shopping around...

It is not the job of your employer to get you insurance or pay for your personal upkeep... and it is not the job, nor should it have been the job, of government to force them to be via tax perks etc.. and it definitely should not be the job of government to provide it, dictate it, or mandate it

Most Unions support Amnesty. They see it as way to grow their memberships exponentially. It's all about their greed. People should stop thinking the Amnesty-supporters care about American Citizens. It's not about that. They only care about their own interests. The American People are gonna get shafted once again. We have a rogue criminal Government now. They no longer represent the American People.

Wrong!!! Union leadership supports the democratic party, because they keep them alive through corruption. Union members HATE illegal immigration. Many illegals have and/or acquire skills like carpentry, construction, plumbing, pipe-fitting, agriculture, etc. or jobs that require skills that are usually unionized and have decent wages.

Illegals do not join the unions, they don't demand benefits, they work under the table and the work longer hours for less money. They destory Union's negotiating leverage and wages.

Unions support the Democratic party, but they hate illegal immigration. It's the mental disorder of liberal voter!

You are correct in that Unions and the Democratic Party are one entity at this point. Unions may have opposed Illegal Immigration at one time, but they don't now. They receive their marching orders from the Democratic Party. They do what they're told. Unions now embrace Amnesty. The Democrats have convinced them that it will increase their memberships. It's all about greed now. Neither one cares about American Citizens. We're on our own now. Both Parties have abandoned the American People.

:clap:

Good for them.

This is what happens when you let your emotions rule instead of your head.

It's a typical Libturd thing.

Colorado is a perfect example. The Dumbos in the State Legislature passed stricter gun laws (and Governor Dicknlooper signed it) on pure emotion after the Newtown massacre, without realizing the full impact (such as a gun company threatening to leave and taking it's millions in tax revenue with it) and now some high-profile Dumbos are facing an end to their political careers and Gov. Dick'n'licker is tanking in the polls.

I can see some middle-ground on this one. There's no need to rush to that 'Boo Hoo For The Corporations!' thing. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay a worker a decent wage. But at the same time, Fast Food jobs are not the most conducive jobs for stable career opportunities. In other words, don't count on taking care of your family on those wages. Get an education, get a trade. That's the answer.

Last edited:
I can see some middle-ground on this one. There's no need to rush to that 'Boo Hoo For The Corporations!' thing. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay a worker a decent wage. But at the same time, Fast Food jobs are not the most conducive jobs for stable career opportunities. In other words, don't count on taking care of your family on those wages. Get an education, get a trade. That's the answer.

What most of you on the left cannot grasp is that fast food is a business. McDonalds fights a rapidly declining share of the American market that it attempts to balance through international ventures.

In the domestic market, it fights fierce competition from other national joints like Burger King and Wendys - and then from parallel markets like Taco Bell and KFC. And it doesn't stop there, a thousand small chains and independent burger joints are also competing for that sale. To a leftist, it's simple to say "just make McDonalds pay $400 an hour and everyone will be happy." But it's based on the ignorance that is the foundation of the left. Adding 17% to the price of McDonalds food will drive the consumer to other venues.

Yes, i realize that you of the left will respond by demanding that ALL fast food places be forced to pay the same high wages. This will put virtually all the independent places out of business overnight - one of the goals of the left in all cases. Once there are only corporate fast food outlets, they will be ripe for predation by the greedy unions - who are behind this whole thing. The unions believe that once they put all the small proprietors out of business, the American public will have no choice but to buy from the businesses they now hold hostage. Problem is, the public might find that sit down restaurants and eating at home are suddenly a more attractive option. Leaving the workers out of jobs. Then the cycle of union greed begins again with another industry as their target.

What most of you on the left cannot grasp is that fast food is a business. McDonalds fights a rapidly declining share of the American market that it attempts to balance through international ventures.

In the domestic market, it fights fierce competition from other national joints like Burger King and Wendys - and then from parallel markets like Taco Bell and KFC. And it doesn't stop there, a thousand small chains and independent burger joints are also competing for that sale. To a leftist, it's simple to say "just make McDonalds pay $400 an hour and everyone will be happy." But it's based on the ignorance that is the foundation of the left. Adding 17% to the price of McDonalds food will drive the consumer to other venues.

Yes, i realize that you of the left will respond by demanding that ALL fast food places be forced to pay the same high wages. This will put virtually all the independent places out of business overnight - one of the goals of the left in all cases. Once there are only corporate fast food outlets, they will be ripe for predation by the greedy unions - who are behind this whole thing. The unions believe that once they put all the small proprietors out of business, the American public will have no choice but to buy from the businesses they now hold hostage. Problem is, the public might find that sit down restaurants and eating at home are suddenly a more attractive option. Leaving the workers out of jobs. Then the cycle of union greed begins again with another industry as their target.

I'm not on the Left. I just see some middle-ground here. There's no need to rush to the Corporations' defense on everything. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. In fact, i consider it their Patriotic Duty to do so. That being said, Fast Food jobs won't likely support your Family. So you have to understand what you're getting into. Get an education, get a trade.

I'm not on the Left.

Oh, well okie-dokie then...

I just see some middle-ground here. There's no need to rush to the Corporations' defense on everything. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. In fact, i consider it their Patriotic Duty to do so. That being said, Fast Food jobs won't likely support your Family. So you have to understand what you're getting into. Get an education, get a trade.

You see the statement of economic fact as "rushing to the defense of corporations." I merely see it as "reality."

I had no idea they were in a union???

The leftist rag {Salon reports this week that fast-food workers in New York City staged a walkout, while workers in Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Flint, Mich., went on strike. Backed by the Service Employees International Union and local advocacy groups}

Fast-food workers push for $15 an hour- MSN Money

The greedy unions, trying to shove their greasy paws into the pockets of others, are always behind this kind of idiocy.

I'm not on the Left. I just see some middle-ground here. There's no need to rush to the Corporations' defense on everything. They'll be fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. In fact, i consider it their Patriotic Duty to do so. That being said, Fast Food jobs won't likely support your Family. So you have to understand what you're getting into. Get an education, get a trade.

No, they can’t afford to pay them a decent wage. That is not because the company does not make enough money either, that is actually rather irrelevant. They can’t afford a ‘decent’ wage because the workers do not provide a decent product. That is just the way it is. The end product – the burger – has a value. The money is just the way that value is expressed. If we demand that the wages of the lower employees are raised, the wages all across the board are going to have to increase as well as the other workers are going to demand more for the increased value that they represent over that of the unskilled and replaceable worker. Essentially, what you have caused is raised wages across the board, product increases and ultimately the worker has the same buying power as before because, in the end, that burger has the same intrinsic value that it has always had no matter how many worthless dollars you write onto the price tag.

The fact is that janitors, fast food clerks and the like are never going to be well off or even make enough to feed a family no matter what you make the minimum wage. You need to find a skill for that.

I'm willing to pay more for a burger if it will provide a living wage for someone who needs it.

But it won't.

The value of anything is determined by the market. An artificial wage spike won't make the burger have more value, it will simply drive the consumer to different venues up to and including eating at home.

FA_Q2 explained it perfectly.

You will see many fast food chains and independent restaurants close, the price of a fast food meal for two is fast approaching the price of a sit down meal. It would be cheaper to just to cook your meals at home.:eek:

Whew...yeah...that extra .68 cents is really gonna break the bank. Just like an extra .16 cents on a pizza to provide all employees health care would be just awful. :rolleyes:

if those figures are correct and that's a BIG if

No, they can’t afford to pay them a decent wage. That is not because the company does not make enough money either, that is actually rather irrelevant. They can’t afford a ‘decent’ wage because the workers do not provide a decent product. That is just the way it is. The end product – the burger – has a value. The money is just the way that value is expressed. If we demand that the wages of the lower employees are raised, the wages all across the board are going to have to increase as well as the other workers are going to demand more for the increased value that they represent over that of the unskilled and replaceable worker. Essentially, what you have caused is raised wages across the board, product increases and ultimately the worker has the same buying power as before because, in the end, that burger has the same intrinsic value that it has always had no matter how many worthless dollars you write onto the price tag.

The fact is that janitors, fast food clerks and the like are never going to be well off or even make enough to feed a family no matter what you make the minimum wage. You need to find a skill for that.

Ya know the only thing I dont get about it, is Australia has like a US $15 dollar minimum wage, how do they get away with it? if you use google, big macs dont cost that much more over there and their UE is like a "official" 5.7% but the UE for 15~ 19 year olds in Australia is like 16%......, is it because they are small or something?

Last edited:

if those figures are correct and that's a BIG if

Well, if a statistics major can't create a viable business plan, then I might have to rethink the concept of having my waitress do a root canal on that molar.....

I'm willing to pay more for a burger if it will provide a living wage for someone who needs it.

I doubt that.

You say these things but the reality is that you already have that option. You can go to the fine restaurant that pays its workers far more AND you still get that improved service.

Let me ask you, when was the last time that you patronized a fast food joint? A denies or other small diner? The quickie mart at the gas station? What grocer do you use? What big box stores do you commonly purchase from?

The answer to these questions determines if you really will spend a little more for those workers to get better pay. Even if you really do practice that adage, the evidence is clear, most of America will not.

Forum List

Back