Farm Animals Get 80 Percent of Antibiotics Sold in U.S.

are bees considered
farm animals?

we treat them for mites and a lot of other stuff....if not treated they will die

cows get down with fevers...milk weed fever....cows get infections on their bags ....should they not be treated...should you not use preventative measures?

Antibiotics for treatment, absolutely.

Antibiotics as a preventive measure? No. Do you take antibiotics regularly as a preventive measure?

buy locals foods.....the less transport...the less chemicals etc needed

Easy to say hard (and somewhat more expensive) to do.

Not at all, depending where you live. It's relatively easy and actually less expensive for most items for us to eat locally. We could go almost 100% local 8-9 months of the year, easily. I'm lazy enough that it's only about 50%, but that's just my lack of effort.

Local processed foods, for example, are hard to find. If you have the time, knowledge and will to cook from scratch, piece of cake.

Last edited:
No?

Try buying a locally grown tomato in Fedruary here in Maine.

Or go price the cost of a free range chicken compared to a factory built one.

Get back to me with your results.

Here you go.

Community Supported Agriculture in Maine

I think he's referring to the fact that we've become accustomed to getting out of season produce whenever we want to, even if it spends a week or more in transport and the quality ends up being poor by the time we get it. I'm as guilty as the next person of that. ;)

Once you've had those vine ripe homegrown heirloom tomatoes though, four bucks a pound for rock hard orange things that taste like cardboard just isn't worth it - February or not. I'd rather wait. :eusa_angel:

think he's referring to the fact that we've become accustomed to getting out of season produce whenever we want to, even if it spends a week or more in transport and the quality ends up being poor by the time we get it. I'm as guilty as the next person of that.

Once you've had those vine ripe homegrown heirloom tomatoes though, four bucks a pound for rock hard orange things that taste like cardboard just isn't worth it - February or not. I'd rather wait.

Americans do not realize (nor do they care) about the true cost of the food they consume - we have been trained to be dumb, complacent little consumers. Also, my Aunt cans tomatoes in the fall so that we have wonderful heirloom tomatoes year round and it doesn't cost more than a box of mason jars and a day spent canning.

i dont have to take preventives antibiotics but talk to someone with a heart condition that has to take them before dental visits....you give cows this stuff to prevent mastitus and other conditions

think he's referring to the fact that we've become accustomed to getting out of season produce whenever we want to, even if it spends a week or more in transport and the quality ends up being poor by the time we get it. I'm as guilty as the next person of that.

Once you've had those vine ripe homegrown heirloom tomatoes though, four bucks a pound for rock hard orange things that taste like cardboard just isn't worth it - February or not. I'd rather wait.

Americans do not realize (nor do they care) about the true cost of the food they consume - we have been trained to be dumb, complacent little consumers. Also, my Aunt cans tomatoes in the fall so that we have wonderful heirloom tomatoes year round and it doesn't cost more than a box of mason jars and a day spent canning.

you havent ever canned a damn thing have you?

spending the day canning is more than a box of jars

i dont have to take preventives antibiotics but talk to someone with a heart condition that has to take them before dental visits....you give cows this stuff to prevent mastitus and other conditions

They give cows this stuff because due to big agra feeding them food that they were never meant to eat. Want to know what else is in cow feed? Chicken litter, chicken feathers, chicken shit and even dogs and cats that have been euthanized from shelters. I will not eat any meat that comes out of a feed lot nor a big chicken producer. That shit is a biohazard.

Cattle Feed is Often a Sum of Animal Parts. And Because of That, New Limits Don't Go Far Enough, Say Activists

I freeze a lot. The kiddos love helping shuck corn by the hundred and shell peas by the half-bushel. lol But I don't can. I made a few attempts and it never quite worked out. :redface:

But I get that you can't exactly pull out a canned tomato and cut a slice for your turkey on wheat. Although with the poor quality of most of the imported out of season crap, I'm not sure why anybody would want that either. I wonder about the nutritional value too. Does it deteriorate when it's been sitting around on a truck for days on end and arrives either half ripe or half rotten?

But I get that you can't exactly pull out a canned tomato and cut a slice for your turkey on wheat. Although with the poor quality of most of the imported out of season crap, I'm not sure why anybody would want that either. I wonder about the nutritional value too. Does it deteriorate when it's been sitting around on a truck for days on end and arrives either half ripe or half rotten?

Conventional produce has been bred for shelf life and uniformity, not taste or nutrition. Also, these crops are grown in dead soil and soaked in chemicals and pesticides. Ugh, no thanks. So what little nutritional value is there is pretty much negated by everything sprayed on them.

Me too. I just marvel at how removed most Americans are from the realities of food grown and produced in this country. The things that big Agra and the meat industries inflict on unsuspecting consumers in order to get larger and larger profit is truly criminal, IMO. Did you know it is illegal in 11 states to say anything bad about the beef industry? Chew on that for a minute or two...

I get most of our meat from a local butcher, no factory farmed animals involved. That doesn't mean local family farmers aren't using some of those methods, but at least I know it hasn't gone through the full Food, Inc treatment. I know some of the farmers who raise the animals personally too. It makes a big difference when you're talking about trusting your food.

But I also know a lot of people don't have that kind of product available. Which is a pity, that's how food should be. I don't like a lot of things about living in the sticks, but that's the kind of thing I missed living in the cities.

RatRace.jpg

Antibiotics used to fatten up livestock...

Livestock consume antibiotics more than all human consumption
Sep 17, 2015: Poultry and meat producing animals are being pumped with antibiotics to fatten them up, seriously threatening humans.
Worldwide, in 2010, at least 63,200 tons of antibiotics were consumed by livestock - more than all human consumption. By 2030, this figure is projected to rise by two-thirds, to 105.600 tons, to meet the demands of a projected 8.5 billion human population. In India, the results are already showing - almost 100% resistance to a popular antibiotic called sulfadiazine was detected in isolates in chickens and other fowl. Resistance has also been reported in Staphylococcus and other bacteria in poultry litter: 75% of isolates were resistant to streptomycin, and more than 50% were resistant to front line antibiotics like erythromycin, tobramycin and ampicillin.

According to the World Antibiotic report 2015, to be released on Thursday, poultry raised with antibiotics harbour significant populations of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which are transmitted to humans through direct contact with the animals and through their meat, eggs, and milk. Some proportion of the antibiotics used in agriculture and aquaculture ends up in the broader environment. The report takes Hyderabad as a case in point saying it's area of intense pharmaceutical manufacturing, has nearly 100 plants that supply drugs to Europe and US.

The report said "The wastewater from these plants is processed at a single plant. In 2008, the processed effluent from the treatment plant and water from two nearby lakes and six wells were analysed. Researchers found severe contamination in all water sources. In one lake, levels of ciprofloxacin and cetirizine exceeded human therapeutic blood plasma concentrations. In addition, the levels of fluoroquinolones in the water sources were found to be 100,000 to 1 million times higher than levels found in surface water contaminated with sewage in the US and China. The high levels of contamination indicate that the antibiotics in the water sources were very likely mixing with significant bacterial populations, creating a permissive environment for the transfer of antibiotic resistance genes"

The report says that antibiotics are used not only to treat individual animals with bacterial infections but also to promote growth — a controversial and high-use application. The report recommends that sales of feed pre-mixed with antibiotics should immediately be phased out. Most antibiotics used in animal production are similar to those used in the human population: of the 27 antimicrobial classes that are used in animals, only nine are used exclusively in animals. In 2010, China was estimated to consume the most antibiotics in livestock, followed by the US, Brazil, Germany and India. Consumption in India is expected to double by 2030.

Livestock consume antibiotics more than all human consumption - The Times of India

Forum List

Back