Family Court orders Dad not to take child to catholic church

From this link:

Catholic Father, Jewish Mother Battle Over Daughter's Faith | Christianpost.com
Check out the bolded parts. The more I see, the more I think the judge was out of order IMO...

When the couple married in 2004 Reyes agreed to convert to Judaism to make his in-laws – who would only accept him if he was Jewish – happy, as reported by ABC News. But he never stopped practicing Catholicism, he said.

In a petition for a temporary restraining order against Joseph taking their child to church, Rebecca claims they always agreed to raise Ela in the Jewish faith and "have done nothing other than to raise her in the Jewish faith." Joseph has denied the claims. He has also said that they did not attend Jewish services regularly – only on High Holy Days.

In December, Judge Edward R. Jordan issued a court order, without hearing testimony, temporarily restraining the father from "exposing Ela Reyes to any other religion other than the Jewish religion" during his visitation.

In an appeal, Joseph's attorney, Joel Brodsky, argued that the order is not a preliminary injunction because there was no evidentiary hearing.

I have a hard time believing the guy. If he had gotten his daughter baptized and kept his mouth shut it would have fulfilled his belief that she'd go to hell if she weren't baptized. But that isn't what he did. He baptized her as a big fuck you to the mother. He is far from being on the up and up.

Thank God he is not living in a Islamic country. Both him and the daughter would of had their heads chopped off. If all goes as planned this will happen here soon!!! Sooner in Europe!!

God, you silly motherfuckers are incapable of going 5 minutes without bringing up Islam. :lol:

Stay on topic.

He baptized her as a big fuck you to the mother.

I agree.

But I'm not aware of any laws that make it illegal to be douchebag.

And if Grump's link is accurate, and there wasn't even a hearing, then the judge is just as big a doucher, if not moreso.

From this link:

Catholic Father, Jewish Mother Battle Over Daughter's Faith | Christianpost.com
Check out the bolded parts. The more I see, the more I think the judge was out of order IMO...

When the couple married in 2004 Reyes agreed to convert to Judaism to make his in-laws – who would only accept him if he was Jewish – happy, as reported by ABC News. But he never stopped practicing Catholicism, he said.

In a petition for a temporary restraining order against Joseph taking their child to church, Rebecca claims they always agreed to raise Ela in the Jewish faith and "have done nothing other than to raise her in the Jewish faith." Joseph has denied the claims. He has also said that they did not attend Jewish services regularly – only on High Holy Days.

In December, Judge Edward R. Jordan issued a court order, without hearing testimony, temporarily restraining the father from "exposing Ela Reyes to any other religion other than the Jewish religion" during his visitation.

In an appeal, Joseph's attorney, Joel Brodsky, argued that the order is not a preliminary injunction because there was no evidentiary hearing.

thank you for the factual clarification....

that should make you realize judge was absolutely on target.... it was TEMPORARY, pending a hearing. standard operating procedure. i could tell you the process, but that's not really relevant.

and i'll also point out that I only go to temple on high holy days and i don't keep kosher.

you don't want to tell me i'm not a jew, do you?:eusa_whistle:

oh and the dear man who was "always catholic in his heart" but changed religions to bonk mom, you really believe that garbage?

that should make you realize judge was absolutely on target.... it was TEMPORARY, pending a hearing. standard operating procedure. i could tell you the process, but that's not really relevant.

and i'll also point out that I only go to temple on high holy days and i don't keep kosher.

oh and the dear man who was "always catholic in his heart" but changed religions to bonk mom, you really believe that garbage?

Oh, so you're OK with a judge deciding that for 30 days one parent can indoctrine the child in their religion, but the other can't? Even though the judge has heard no evidence? Cool, I think I'll ask for a temporary injunction against my neighbour parking his car in his driveway...it's ok though, it's only for 30 days until we can get before a jury. No hassle for him. After that, I might ask a judge - without a hearing - to put a 30 day injunction on my neighbour saying he can't walk his dog, but I can walk mine. I'm sure my neighbour doesn't mind being put out.

The judge is a douchebag...he shouldn't make ANY ruling on the whim of an individual. Remember J, he said the kid should only be exposed to the one religion - that is taking sides any way you put it. If indeed he did want it to be temporary, and he was being totally objective, he'd say "The kid stays free from ALL religion until this mess is sorted out and we hear both sides of the story."

Yes, I do believe that 'garbage'. People do all sorts of strange things in life....

Oh, so you're OK with a judge deciding that for 30 days one parent can indoctrine the child in their religion, but the other can't? Even though the judge has heard no evidence? Cool, I think I'll ask for a temporary injunction against my neighbour parking his car in his driveway...it's ok though, it's only for 30 days until we can get before a jury. No hassle for him. After that, I might ask a judge - without a hearing - to put a 30 day injunction on my neighbour saying he can't walk his dog, but I can walk mine. I'm sure my neighbour doesn't mind being put out.

The judge is a douchebag...he shouldn't make ANY ruling on the whim of an individual. Remember J, he said the kid should only be exposed to the one religion - that is taking sides any way you put it. If indeed he did want it to be temporary, and he was being totally objective, he'd say "The kid stays free from ALL religion until this mess is sorted out and we hear both sides of the story."

Yes, I do believe that 'garbage'. People do all sorts of strange things in life....

am i ok with the judge maintaining the status quo prior to a hearing?

uh...yes. absent some emergency, that's what judges do. why would they change anything without all the facts.

sorry, that's what they do in family court. the "douchebag" is the piece of garbage who lied to get her to marry him and then is using the kid against her.

i don't believe him for a second.

sorry. we usually agree. but i can't see for one reason why you'd find this loser compelling.

uh...yes. absent some emergency, that's what judges do. why would they change anything without all the facts.

sorry, that's what they do in family court. the "douchebag" is the piece of garbage who lied to get her to marry him and then is using the kid against her.

sorry. we usually agree. but i can't see for one reason why you'd find this loser compelling.

And my argument, is it the status quo?

Oh, he lied? Riiigghhhtt? Because her parents were arseholes and wouldn't let him keep his own religion without causing a fuss? What's the bet one of the reasons their relationship fell apart was due to interferring outsiders..

I don't find either of them compelling. I think they're both acting like children...

Your obvious prejudice is showing.

How? because she speaking the truth?
Tell me how the guy is not a douche bag? I mean he used his child to get media attention, he went back on agreement he had with wife, and baptized his child without even asking her mother first. I think it is more like you are showing prejudices.

Tell me how the guy is not a douche bag? I mean he used his child to get media attention, he went back on agreement he had with wife, and baptized his child without even asking her mother first. I think it is more like you are showing prejudices.

The guy's a douchebag, but only because he's an attention whore. He was absolutely justified in defying the judge's order; it is not a secular government's place to tell parents that they may only expose their children to certain religions. This is particularly true when the only "approved" religion happens to be the religion espoused by the judge.

No. What is happening is that the father is trying to make sure that the child is not jewish in order to use religion to hurt the mother --- when he agreed on the child's religion when it was born -- probably before.

let me ask you something... i could marry someone non-jewish, no problem, right?

do you think for a single, solitary, second I would allow my child to be raised christian? And how badly would someone have to want to hurt me to do that? Not because I'm opposed to christianity. But because passing on my religion is important to me... it's important to many of us, particularly given how many family lines were destroyed.

seriously.... i know EXACTLY where this case comes from.
The child is no less "Jewish" because it was baptized , unless you think Christian baptisms are valid. :cuckoo: In which case I would question just how Jewish you are.

Family is family regardless of religion. My own embraces several and we are no less family just because many of us disagree on religious matters.

If your child chose to be a Christian would you deny him/her that choice?

Many try to force their own religion on their kids, only to destroy it for their kids.

I have to spread some rep around so I could not rep this.

You are right the child is no less Jewish because she was baptized and I do believe that Christian baptisms are valid. Simply because one is Baptized does not mean that they are saved. The father cannot simply baptize his daughter and then walk away from her expecting her faith to grow without any help.

Jillian, I would ask a question. Passing on your faith is important to you as it should be. Why can you not see that it might also be important to me as a Christian to pass my faith on to my children and extending that to the father in this case?

I agree that in this case, it appears that the father is using his daughter to get back at the mother and that is wrong, but he should have the right to expose his daughter to his faith and thus to his own upbringing. Don't you agree?

Immie
This made me think about whether children are ever truely Christian or Jewish or Muslim or whatever religion, if they are that religion simply because their parents chose it for them? Are children actually capable of consent to religion? Do children in this country have freedom of choice when it comes to religion? Is this a choice we allow them to make for themselves?

Sprinkling water on the child in this case does not make her a Catholic. But come to think of it, is she any more a Jew than a Catholic because her mother has raised her as one? The mother claims the child for her religion, the father wants to claim her for his, but isn't it up to the child herself to decide? And if she only choses one or the other to please this parent or the other, how is she being religious at all?

The guy's a douchebag, but only because he's an attention whore. He was absolutely justified in defying the judge's order; it is not a secular government's place to tell parents that they may only expose their children to certain religions. This is particularly true when the only "approved" religion happens to be the religion espoused by the judge.

it was not his place to violate a lawful court order.

Uh huh...if that were true he would never have converted.:cuckoo:

riiiight.. because no one has ever made choices to compromise personal standards for the sake of a relationship... I'm pretty sure that if this case had the woman bending her faith in order to acclimate to HIS family you wouldn't even be able to climb out of screaming bloody fucking murder to address the religious exposure to the child.
Your well known bias against Jews pretty much excludes you from the discussion.

However, a devout Catholic would never convert to another religion for any reason whatsoever. Ditto with any devout believer. Jesus freaks don't turn their backs on Jesus and claim he isn't the Lord.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

For the sake of argument, supposing that he did have a "well known bias against Jews", why would that exclude him from the discussion?

You have a well known hatred of pit bulls, does that mean you must be excluded from all discussions about dogs?

You ever think the judge put the order in place so he wouldn't use his child as a tool to get back at her mother?

The guy is most likely a douchebagand/or very fickle concerning his religious beliefs and having the kid baptised was probably aimed more at pissing off her mother than at saving the kid's soul, but how does his taking her to mass harm her, the child, anymore than her mother taking her to temple is?

Personally, I think NO child should be taken to any religious service of any kind till they are old enough to make their own decisions about religion, but I realized that is a radical point of view I have. So, I think the next best thing for the child would have been for the judge to continue to allow the father to take her his church until all the evidence is in and it determined conclusively whether her going to his church is bad for her or not.

Playing devil's advocate, suppose he really is sincere about his return to Catholocism and Sundays are the only day the court has decided he can have custody of her. Why should he have to chose between his time with his child and his religion?

If indeed he did want it to be temporary, and he was being totally objective, he'd say "The kid stays free from ALL religion until this mess is sorted out and we hear both sides of the story."
I totally agree with that!

You ever think the judge put the order in place so he wouldn't use his child as a tool to get back at her mother?
You could also make the argument that the judge is using the child as a tool to punish the father.

I'm not going to be the one to make that argument however. :lol: I just tossed it out there to add to the controversy :tongue:
Anyone who wants to can take it a run with it.

He baptized her as a big fuck you to the mother.

I agree.

But I'm not aware of any laws that make it illegal to be douchebag.

And if Grump's link is accurate, and there wasn't even a hearing, then the judge is just as big a doucher, if not moreso.
Why? He applied a temporary fix to a situation that has not yet been worked out through divorce court.

I see nothing unfair in what the judge has done.

Since when do parents have a right to use their children as pawns? What of the child's rights?

Forum List

Back