Family Ancestry

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
My family name traces back to Ireland.....Limerick/Tipperary.

Throw in some English, Belgian and Gypsy and you gotta Lumpy 1.

Norwegian and Cherokee Indian

My family signed the Magna Carta, and walked the Trail of Tears.

Full circle, huh?

Ultimately, we're all Greeks.

Or Indians.

Or both. :)

I'm an American mutt -- the progeny of Eurotrash from the early 18th throught the late 19th centuries' waves of immigrants into America

The earliest historical reference I can find to my surname dates to a mathamatics instructor in Charles University (Prague) in the mid 1500s.

The surname means son of (or just of)a villiage in NE Bohemia.

Last edited:
My family's surname first appeared on the assizes/tithes during the 11th century. They were land barons who fought in and contributed to several crusades into the Holy lands. The name then seems to disappear until the English Civil war, where they resurface, but there's very little information on their activites during that period. During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, a lot of them emigrated to North and Central America. Two of the Swagger brothers were some of the first to start distilling Gin in Mexico, but the history books say that they took a shortcut and used nitroglycerin instead of alcohol, and as a result permanently blinded a lot of their customers. They were hanged in 1841.

My mothers family were originally from Germany where they owned what I'm told (I'm only going on hearsay) was a prosperous steel mill that supposedly perished in some kind of industrial accident. They left Cologne for London in the early eighteen hundreds.

Last edited:
I'm an American mutt -- the progeny of Eurotrash from the early 18th throught the late 19th centuries' waves of immigrants into America

The earliest historical reference I can find to my surname dates to a mathamatics instructor in Charles University (Prague) in the mid 1500s.

The surname means son of (or just of)a villiage in NE Bohemia.

Yeah, they all eventually lead there, edit.

"James of Noord" or "Catherine of V'Igny."

Unless you get on a line of royalty or nobles, most of them end somewhere around that time frame.

Try tracking down the father of "White Owl" in the Lumbee Tribe....you ain't gonna get too far :)

My family's surname first appeared on the assizes/tithes during the 11th century. They were land barons who fought in and contributed to several crusades into the Holy lands. The name then seems to disappear until the English Civil war, where they resurface, but there's very little information on their activites during that period. During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, a lot of them emigrated to North and Central America. Two of the Swagger brothers were some of the first to start distilling Gin in Mexico, but the history books say that they took a shortcut and used nitroglycerin instead of alcohol, and as a result permanently blinded a lot of their customers. They were hanged in 1841.

My mothers family were originally from Germany where they owned what I'm told (I'm only going on hearsay) was a prosperous steel mill that supposedly perished in some kind of industrial accident. They left Cologne for London in the early eighteen hundreds.

Interesting side note:

A LOT of American ancestry is found in the handwritten notes inside family Bibles. I have seen many references to "sudden neck injury" as the cause of death while searching my, and others' ancestries.

That's PC of the time for "he was hung."

Most people didn't want to write that in the family Bible :)

Interesting side note:

A LOT of American ancestry is found in the handwritten notes inside family Bibles. I have seen many references to "sudden neck injury" as the cause of death while searching my, and others' ancestries.

That's PC of the time for "he was hung."

Most people didn't want to write that in the family Bible :)

You do mean hanged, right? :eusa_eh:

My last name is a very common word in France, so my dad's family came from France kicked out for religious reasons. Stopping by Ireland on the way to get married, my ancestors then came to America by 1619. My mom's family were Quakers and Native Americans. I actually just found out we have a lot more Native in us than we thought, my Aunt just found out my Great Grandma lied about her heritage and was born on a reservation.
So, in reality I am just American, my family has been here on both sides since the 1600's or longer. LOL

My family name traces back to Ireland.....Limerick/Tipperary.

Throw in some English, Belgian and Gypsy and you gotta Lumpy 1.

Lol, "you got a Lumpy 1." lol.

I have a notable Irish general in the Civil War who was instrumental with the Medal of Honor assignments. I WAS going to post it recently on a thread but the thread left before I came home and I forgot..lol He is on my paternal side.

It is hard to trace my family name in France, I have tried to research some stuff, but there is two towns with my name and it is also used for something that is important in France. I am guessing my name is like Johnson in France. LOL

My heritage is Irish, 100% 50% regular Irish 50% Black Irish. I was the first in my family to marry a heathen, so my kids are a bit mixed.

My family immagrated when my greatgrand father and mother.

Lived by the three laws

Saved money, moved from the east coast to Il/IO, built a ranch that bears the family name to this day.
GG father gave my grandfather 1 dollar to pay his way through college, once grandpa was done with medical school he returned that dollar and went on to build a hospital.

Before them it gets a little fuzzy, all I know is the family name comes from Counties Carey and Cork.

I have a Scots-Irish family name, but don't know much about that side other than they are mixed protestant Irish and Scots-Irish, with a little German, English and Welsh thrown in. Family stories have us related to one President, two Vice Presidents, a famous tennis pro and one of the men at the Alamo. How true that is....:dunno:

On the other side, I know more about the family history. It goes back to the early 18th century with PA Dutch (German), then in the 19th Century we added in Irish coal miners. The Nana who practically raised me was born in Galway. Our sole claim to fame is two relatives who were hung as Molly Maguires.

So...mutt it is. But one day I'd like to get around to doing some research.

Forum List

Back