F35 - superfighter or lame duck?

A new report by a progressive think-tank says the astronomically expensive F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is inferior compared to other “near-peer” competitors and will be mismatched against emerging threats.
“The F-35 will find itself outmaneuvered, outgunned, out of range, and visible to enemy sensors,” the report states. “Going forward, full investment in the F-35 would be to place a bad trillion-dollar bet on the future of airpower based on flawed assumptions and an underperforming aircraft.” The 1 Trillion Question for the F-35 Is the U.S. Buying an Inferior Plane - Military Affairs - Chinadaily Forum

F-35 days are numbered. Article is an admission of such. At this production rate you may as well park your carriers because it'll take 4 to 5 yrs just to equip one.
US Navy considers reduced annual F-35C buy - 8 13 2015 - Flight Global
The US Navy believes budget pressures and competing priorities could drive it to purchase fewer Lockheed Martin F-35Cs per year in the 2020s, and a worst-case scenario could see it procure as few as 12 aircraft per year, or one squadron.

F-35 days are numbered. Article is an admission of such. At this production rate you may as well park your carriers because it'll take 4 to 5 yrs just to equip one.
The US Navy believes budget pressures and competing priorities could drive it to purchase fewer Lockheed Martin F-35Cs per year in the 2020s, and a worst-case scenario could see it procure as few as 12 aircraft per year, or one squadron.

When the first F-22 w as tested against a F-15, the F-15 kicked it's butt. Once they got the flight software right, the F-22 kicked the F-15s butt with 2 F-22s against 8 to 12 F-15s in all flight parameters. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

A new report by a progressive think-tank says the astronomically expensive F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is inferior compared to other “near-peer” competitors and will be mismatched against emerging threats.
“The F-35 will find itself outmaneuvered, outgunned, out of range, and visible to enemy sensors,” the report states. “Going forward, full investment in the F-35 would be to place a bad trillion-dollar bet on the future of airpower based on flawed assumptions and an underperforming aircraft.” The 1 Trillion Question for the F-35 Is the U.S. Buying an Inferior Plane - Military Affairs - Chinadaily Forum

Wow using a Chinese news source. Get a real source.

story all over the net....chose chinese as most likely opp force....they gotta be laughing their ass off

When the first F-22 w as tested against a F-15, the F-15 kicked it's butt. Once they got the flight software right, the F-22 kicked the F-15s butt with 2 F-22s against 8 to 12 F-15s in all flight parameters. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Highly doubt that..........

story all over the net....chose chinese as most likely opp force....they gotta be laughing their ass off

You quoted a Chinese Government Controlled site that constantly lies it's ass off to it's own people.

Being a retired Army guy with no dog in this fight, I really could not care any less. Being a tax payer, I really could care a bit more, but at this point as has been the case for many years, yawn! That an F15 or F16 operating at full efficiency with a well trained and experienced pilot, might have perhaps given heart burn to a test pilot who was not flying a finished model, that is to say, incomplete aircraft, yawn again. When the electronic's and avionics are completed and pilots have flying experience comparable to today's F15 and F16 drivers, lets do it again. By the time, be it one day or 1000 days when the F35 is the finished product those erstwhile friendly fighters and the erstwhile Russian and Chinese aircraft will be equally older. And when the F35 along with the F22 are waxing their south ends while traveling north, let it be said "goody, goody, gumdrops". And should it so happen that the enemy planes are hit and destroyed without knowing who dunnit, is even better. Perhaps we could rig up some of the old birds in storage in Arizona as drones and let them into the fight. While Ivan and Yang are trying to kill drones the real thing (F35) can be having a field day. You heard it here first. Best regards, an Army guy P.S. Thank God for the Apache and it's ground support, something no one else cares about. As for the Warthog, dead meat! Perhaps one day the Army will get it's way and put the Air Force to shame.

Only plane that'll do that is F-22, more than enough evidence here F35 is nothing but a step backward

Only plane that'll do that is F-22, more than enough evidence here F35 is nothing but a step backward
I amso IR

"more than enough evidence here". Here where? On the Message Board? The only thing I see on Message Board is opinions and seriously doubt the validity of those, mine included. I consider evidence as somewhat factual and not found in most press releases. Please, show some evidence published by reliable sources. Some guy who knows another guys wife whose husband is an Air Force pilot is not good enough. F35 pilots speaking off the record is not good either. There is not a plane in the air that could not have been better. When DOD pulls the plug on the life support, I will believe.

I'd heard that an F-35 went up against an F-16 and got its ass kicked.

People are talking about Chinese jets going up against the F-35. The whole idea was to give the F-35 such superior avionics that the Chinese jets would be floating down in many little pieces long before they knew the Americans were around. That being said....you HAVE to make a plane that can dogfight. Remember the F-4 without a gun? They just gave it missiles, figured it didn't need a gun. WTF???

I'm not impressed with the F35 but the F22 is doing a great job and is operational and kicking ass.

Last edited:
I amso IR

"more than enough evidence here". Here where? On the Message Board? The only thing I see on Message Board is opinions and seriously doubt the validity of those, mine included. I consider evidence as somewhat factual and not found in most press releases. Please, show some evidence published by reliable sources. Some guy who knows another guys wife whose husband is an Air Force pilot is not good enough. F35 pilots speaking off the record is not good either. There is not a plane in the air that could not have been better. When DOD pulls the plug on the life support, I will believe.[/QUOT

Read.......article after article by knowledgeable people and experts........voluminous indictment

People are talking about Chinese jets going up against the F-35. The whole idea was to give the F-35 such superior avionics that the Chinese jets would be floating down in many little pieces long before they knew the Americans were around. That being said....you HAVE to make a plane that can dogfight. Remember the F-4 without a gun? They just gave it missiles, figured it didn't need a gun. WTF???

I'm not impressed with the F35 but the F22 is doing a great job and is operational and kicking ass.

Right now, the F-22 is flying the F-35 missions in Syria. They are very affective. But there are no bad guys in the air to contest it. Put in the Bad Guys in the equation, the F-22 will have to be Air to Air and there is nothing in the inventory to nail the ground sites without losses. As good as the F-16 and F-18 is, the ground stuff are better. Get rid of the SA and the conventional 4th gen fighter will have a hayday. Don't get rid of it and we are going to be losing pilots (forget about AC). If all the F-35 does is to bag those SA sites then it's doing it's job for right now. Not to mention bagging the Comm Sites. If you can't see, you can't fight. You are asking it to be the second coming of a fighter. Right now, that might describe the F-22 but we won't be getting any more of those anytime soon. When you compare the cost of another F-22 at over 200 million, maybe the 100 million for the F-35 ain't so bad. In the end, it's how affective the tandem F-22/F-35 operates in areas that would be suicide for the 4th gen fighters. Like the night flights over bagdad with NO losses. No other AC could have operated with no losses in the environment in 1991. When the balloon goes up, we need every advantage we can have or you will have to learn to speak another language and Spanish ain't it.

Right now, the F-22 is flying the F-35 missions in Syria. They are very affective. But there are no bad guys in the air to contest it. Put in the Bad Guys in the equation, the F-22 will have to be Air to Air and there is nothing in the inventory to nail the ground sites without losses. As good as the F-16 and F-18 is, the ground stuff are better. Get rid of the SA and the conventional 4th gen fighter will have a hayday. Don't get rid of it and we are going to be losing pilots (forget about AC). If all the F-35 does is to bag those SA sites then it's doing it's job for right now. Not to mention bagging the Comm Sites. If you can't see, you can't fight. You are asking it to be the second coming of a fighter. Right now, that might describe the F-22 but we won't be getting any more of those anytime soon. When you compare the cost of another F-22 at over 200 million, maybe the 100 million for the F-35 ain't so bad. In the end, it's how affective the tandem F-22/F-35 operates in areas that would be suicide for the 4th gen fighters. Like the night flights over bagdad with NO losses. No other AC could have operated with no losses in the environment in 1991. When the balloon goes up, we need every advantage we can have or you will have to learn to speak another language and Spanish ain't it.
F-15E alrdy does the job......carries more ordnance too........faster.....longer range.......

and thats the old version......upgrade it to current specs our Allies are buying and its even more deadly......at what half cost of F-35 if not less

F-15E alrdy does the job......carries more ordnance too........faster.....longer range.......

And the F-15E stands out like a huge beacon to the ground SA sites. It has come from being the best of the best to having a huge Shoot Me sign on it's side. Those ground sites have to be cleared before the F-15E enters into the area.

If the F-22 is busy flying topcap then something else needs to clear the corridor for the F-15E to attack. And the F-35 is planned to do just that. It can do it now. So what if it can't dogfight a F-16. Nothing much can either. But it can stand off and take out ground sites that will blow the 4th gen fighters and bombers out of the sky.

Forum List

Back