F35 - superfighter or lame duck?

even aircraft carriers themselves are obsolete as they have no means to shoot down 100 or more anti ship missiles simultaneously.

Carve it in stone

Carrier battle groups carry roughly three times as many anti missile missiles as that.
Not all loaded for release in one single second and if needed a real enemy could launch 1000 simultaneously. Seriously russia does not rely on carriers for this reason as they have only 1.

And there is approximately no chance the launch platforms for 100 missiles would manage to get within range of a U.S. carrier in war time. The entire reason for the F-14 Tomcat and Pheonix missiles was built around intercepting Soviet bombers before they could launch.

They wouldn't even have to be shot down. If Soviet bombers detected missiles locking onto them they would jettison their missiles in order to be able to take evasive action.

1.7 miles per second. No carrier has a lifespan over an hour

And what makes you think the Russians are telling the truth? They have a long history of making extravagant claims about weapons systems and other technologies that have no basis in reality. Russia isn't like the U.S. where entire legions of congressional and media critics line up to hold people accountable for weapons systems claims.
Because we have basically the same stuff. The fact is that a carrier is only effective against a third world country like Afghanistan. The last credible threat to any carrier was japan in ww2

Then why is china building them?
To take over third world countries and hong kong and taiwan perhaps.

Partially. But it is also a truism that aircraft carriers project power like nothing else on earth. And guess what, there are already hypersonic missile interceptors out there. Have been for a long time. And they are very, very effective. One of them is tested by shooting down artillery shells.
Exactly so if you can shoot down a rocket or shell you can not miss a carrier.

How would a carrier attack Russia or China?

U.S. supercarriers are proven able to survive and continue operations when hit by as many as six anti ship missiles.
No carrier has been attacked since WW2, at that time Japan used everything it had to sink them. Today an enemy would launch 100 to 1000 anti ship missiles all arriving within a simultaneous ten second window if needed. So since no carrier can survive this then no carrier can attack an enemy with these missiles making the carrier USELESS in a modern conflict

That's quite a fantasy scenario you have come up with
Not my scenario kid

But you can prove me wrong by describing the last credible threat to a US carrier since WW2.

Yawning

What was that junior? You keep talking about your mythical 1000 missile time on target barrage, and then ask me to give you the last time there was a credible threat against a US carrier battle group..... I think you just proved my point.

Kid.
So in your delusion anti ship missiles are mythical.

Okeedokee

No, kiddo, your thousand arriving at the same time is what is mythical.
How would a carrier group respond to that situation?

Well that's obvious, by sinking

This is why Russia does not rely on obsolete carriers

Like I said, squirt, your mythological attack won't happen. The chinese don't have enough missiles for even a tenth of your supposed assault.

Stop playing those war games, they warp your thinking junior.

But the threats to the carrier are mounting, experts say. With the advent of ground-launched hypersonic missiles, it’s a matter of time before air-launched hypersonic missiles present a nearly insurmountable threat, barring a significant development to counter them.
“I think what King’s comments reflect is that he sees the vulnerability of the aircraft carrier only getting worse,” said Bryan Clark, a retired submarine officer and analyst with the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. “Specifically, maybe not so much these kind of boost-glide weapons, but its more about cruise missiles that are hypersonic — air-launched perhaps.

‘The Carrier is Vulnerable and Obsolete’ according to 100 years worth of military journals
Air launched missiles always have less range than carrier launched fighters. Hawkeyes will spot the missile carriers long before they are in range and carrier fighter will kill then before they can launch their cargos. This will only happen in a war and the US Navy isn't stupid enough to blindly sail into range of Chinese missiles. The USN and USAF have weapons that can obliterate fixed launchers and the sandbar airfields long before US forces need to enter their range.
No need for air launched missiles as the carrier must get within 500 miles of the target and land based missiles work at far greater ranges than that. Making the carrier obsolete

The F-35C is coming online now. I don't have the exact figures. But let's take a look at their range loaded with internal weapons. This includes Air to Ground Missiles.

1367 miles without external fuel. Now add two external fuel tanks and before it gets into range, have it meet a tanker to top if off and have it meet a tanker on the way out. Let's do a scenario.

The F-35C launches with a full load of internal and external stores. He launches with very little fuel. He meets a Tanker right after launch which tops him off. He's loaded out with two Aim-9Xs and four Aim-120s as well as a mix of the following stores.

Some of these have a 1000 mile range and are self autonamous.

The range of the loaded F-35C is now at least 2000 miles. That means he has to get within 1000 miles of his intended target to make it home. The carrier can lessen that by closing. So let's say, the F-35C only has to do a 750 mile return flight with air refueling. But he can extend that by multiple air refuelings. That puts the Carrier out of range for attack. And if you try and come without 1000 miles you are going to run into a hornets nest of support ships and ECM birds.

If the Chinese want at the carriers, it's going to be a bloody fight in and a bloody fight out. Chances are, there will be a high presence of USAF involved as well with the F-22 and their refueling force and AWACs. And don't sell the F-18s short either. The Chinese will be greatly outnumber in both air assets and naval ships. Entire Corridors are going to be created where the B-2 and B-1s can do their magic.

I can't see ANY logic, other than population control, that would drive China into such an insane move.
A fully fueled and armed F35 can not take off vertical as it was intended making the jet a total failure which is why we intended to sell it to Turkey so the Russians could tale the pile of krap apart to learn how not to build a real jet.

Number of nations sold the F22

One, the USA

If you have ever seen a F-35B fully loaded take off, he takes off using both runway and his lift engine to get into the air and get his airspeed up as quickly as possible. And then he meets a tanker whether it be a F-18 configured for as a refueler or any number of refuelers. The same goes for the F-35C and A which can take off in REAL Monster mode carrying more ordinance than a F-16 or a F-18 ever dreamed of. And carry it twice as far. The F-35C used the space that the B used for it's lift fans and drive for fuel making it a very long combat ranged bird. And it's coming online as I type this in numbers. They don't have to get the carrier anywhere close to send even the F-18E/F/Gs since they can refuel them on the way in and on the way out.

As for the Russians being able to take the F-35 apart, their SU and Migs sold to various countries aren't doing such a hot job when the F-35A Recons are taking pictures almost directly over their runways completely undetected. You have to see it to shoot it down. If you don't believe me, ask the Iranians that are complaining about the Israelis overflights over Iran.
Totally wrong. Why? Because in any emergency scramble into the air incident and those are the ones that matter there is no tanker waiting to refuel the piece of shit f35. In such a situation you must get into the air fully fueled and armed which makes vertical takeoff impossible. LOL the F35 is the jet that was supposed to take off like a helicopter but that takes off like a jet, it never should have been built. From what I read the Eurofighter Typhoon is flying circles around the f35

If you know anything about the Naval Procedures, they keep X number of Tankers in the air, X number of tankers on alert status 24/7. And can generate more when needed. And a monster loaded F-35B will NEVER be able to take off in hover mode. But he can take off in STOVL mode. And the requirements of both the A and the C are to be able to take off in Stovol mode in monster mode at all times. Granted, a Tanker will have to be met but I think the Navy and the AF can meet that requirement with the tankers better than any other nation on the face of the earth. I don't know about if it's better than the planet you come from so I won't comment on that.

As for the Typhoon flying circles around the F-35, how about a cite on that one. Just because you say so isn't reason enough for the rest of us to believe it.
Dude there is no naval procedure keeping tankers in the air all the time around a carrier. 24 hours a day in all weather even while the ship is moving to a new destination. LOL also how much more range than the fighter do you think a carrier tanker has? But it's all irrelevant when hundreds of anti ship missiles arrive skimming the surface

And exactly what launched those anti-ship missiles? Were the launched from stealth ships? How about sooper secrit underwater bases. And I guess all the support ship's' defense weapons and such were at the cleaners at the time as well. Newsflash, twinkletoes: the DFS26 is a paper weapon.

even aircraft carriers themselves are obsolete as they have no means to shoot down 100 or more anti ship missiles simultaneously.

Carve it in stone

Carrier battle groups carry roughly three times as many anti missile missiles as that.
Not all loaded for release in one single second and if needed a real enemy could launch 1000 simultaneously. Seriously russia does not rely on carriers for this reason as they have only 1.

And there is approximately no chance the launch platforms for 100 missiles would manage to get within range of a U.S. carrier in war time. The entire reason for the F-14 Tomcat and Pheonix missiles was built around intercepting Soviet bombers before they could launch.

They wouldn't even have to be shot down. If Soviet bombers detected missiles locking onto them they would jettison their missiles in order to be able to take evasive action.

And what makes you think the Russians are telling the truth? They have a long history of making extravagant claims about weapons systems and other technologies that have no basis in reality. Russia isn't like the U.S. where entire legions of congressional and media critics line up to hold people accountable for weapons systems claims.
Because we have basically the same stuff. The fact is that a carrier is only effective against a third world country like Afghanistan. The last credible threat to any carrier was japan in ww2

Partially. But it is also a truism that aircraft carriers project power like nothing else on earth. And guess what, there are already hypersonic missile interceptors out there. Have been for a long time. And they are very, very effective. One of them is tested by shooting down artillery shells.

U.S. supercarriers are proven able to survive and continue operations when hit by as many as six anti ship missiles.
No carrier has been attacked since WW2, at that time Japan used everything it had to sink them. Today an enemy would launch 100 to 1000 anti ship missiles all arriving within a simultaneous ten second window if needed. So since no carrier can survive this then no carrier can attack an enemy with these missiles making the carrier USELESS in a modern conflict

Not my scenario kid

But you can prove me wrong by describing the last credible threat to a US carrier since WW2.

Yawning

What was that junior? You keep talking about your mythical 1000 missile time on target barrage, and then ask me to give you the last time there was a credible threat against a US carrier battle group..... I think you just proved my point.

Kid.

Okeedokee

Like I said, squirt, your mythological attack won't happen. The chinese don't have enough missiles for even a tenth of your supposed assault.

But the threats to the carrier are mounting, experts say. With the advent of ground-launched hypersonic missiles, it’s a matter of time before air-launched hypersonic missiles present a nearly insurmountable threat, barring a significant development to counter them.
“I think what King’s comments reflect is that he sees the vulnerability of the aircraft carrier only getting worse,” said Bryan Clark, a retired submarine officer and analyst with the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. “Specifically, maybe not so much these kind of boost-glide weapons, but its more about cruise missiles that are hypersonic — air-launched perhaps.

‘The Carrier is Vulnerable and Obsolete’ according to 100 years worth of military journals
Air launched missiles always have less range than carrier launched fighters. Hawkeyes will spot the missile carriers long before they are in range and carrier fighter will kill then before they can launch their cargos. This will only happen in a war and the US Navy isn't stupid enough to blindly sail into range of Chinese missiles. The USN and USAF have weapons that can obliterate fixed launchers and the sandbar airfields long before US forces need to enter their range.
No need for air launched missiles as the carrier must get within 500 miles of the target and land based missiles work at far greater ranges than that. Making the carrier obsolete

The F-35C is coming online now. I don't have the exact figures. But let's take a look at their range loaded with internal weapons. This includes Air to Ground Missiles.

1367 miles without external fuel. Now add two external fuel tanks and before it gets into range, have it meet a tanker to top if off and have it meet a tanker on the way out. Let's do a scenario.

The F-35C launches with a full load of internal and external stores. He launches with very little fuel. He meets a Tanker right after launch which tops him off. He's loaded out with two Aim-9Xs and four Aim-120s as well as a mix of the following stores.

The range of the loaded F-35C is now at least 2000 miles. That means he has to get within 1000 miles of his intended target to make it home. The carrier can lessen that by closing. So let's say, the F-35C only has to do a 750 mile return flight with air refueling. But he can extend that by multiple air refuelings. That puts the Carrier out of range for attack. And if you try and come without 1000 miles you are going to run into a hornets nest of support ships and ECM birds.

If the Chinese want at the carriers, it's going to be a bloody fight in and a bloody fight out. Chances are, there will be a high presence of USAF involved as well with the F-22 and their refueling force and AWACs. And don't sell the F-18s short either. The Chinese will be greatly outnumber in both air assets and naval ships. Entire Corridors are going to be created where the B-2 and B-1s can do their magic.

I can't see ANY logic, other than population control, that would drive China into such an insane move.
A fully fueled and armed F35 can not take off vertical as it was intended making the jet a total failure which is why we intended to sell it to Turkey so the Russians could tale the pile of krap apart to learn how not to build a real jet.

One, the USA

If you have ever seen a F-35B fully loaded take off, he takes off using both runway and his lift engine to get into the air and get his airspeed up as quickly as possible. And then he meets a tanker whether it be a F-18 configured for as a refueler or any number of refuelers. The same goes for the F-35C and A which can take off in REAL Monster mode carrying more ordinance than a F-16 or a F-18 ever dreamed of. And carry it twice as far. The F-35C used the space that the B used for it's lift fans and drive for fuel making it a very long combat ranged bird. And it's coming online as I type this in numbers. They don't have to get the carrier anywhere close to send even the F-18E/F/Gs since they can refuel them on the way in and on the way out.

As for the Russians being able to take the F-35 apart, their SU and Migs sold to various countries aren't doing such a hot job when the F-35A Recons are taking pictures almost directly over their runways completely undetected. You have to see it to shoot it down. If you don't believe me, ask the Iranians that are complaining about the Israelis overflights over Iran.
Totally wrong. Why? Because in any emergency scramble into the air incident and those are the ones that matter there is no tanker waiting to refuel the piece of shit f35. In such a situation you must get into the air fully fueled and armed which makes vertical takeoff impossible. LOL the F35 is the jet that was supposed to take off like a helicopter but that takes off like a jet, it never should have been built. From what I read the Eurofighter Typhoon is flying circles around the f35

If you know anything about the Naval Procedures, they keep X number of Tankers in the air, X number of tankers on alert status 24/7. And can generate more when needed. And a monster loaded F-35B will NEVER be able to take off in hover mode. But he can take off in STOVL mode. And the requirements of both the A and the C are to be able to take off in Stovol mode in monster mode at all times. Granted, a Tanker will have to be met but I think the Navy and the AF can meet that requirement with the tankers better than any other nation on the face of the earth. I don't know about if it's better than the planet you come from so I won't comment on that.

As for the Typhoon flying circles around the F-35, how about a cite on that one. Just because you say so isn't reason enough for the rest of us to believe it.
Dude there is no naval procedure keeping tankers in the air all the time around a carrier. 24 hours a day in all weather even while the ship is moving to a new destination. LOL also how much more range than the fighter do you think a carrier tanker has? But it's all irrelevant when hundreds of anti ship missiles arrive skimming the surface
You and your impossible, stupid hundreds of anti-ship missiles. Where do they come from? Carriers aren’t going to come into their range until the defenses have been reduced by air and submarine launched cruise missiles.

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

And exactly what launched those anti-ship missiles? Were the launched from stealth ships? How about sooper secrit underwater bases. And I guess all the support ship's' defense weapons and such were at the cleaners at the time as well. Newsflash, twinkletoes: the DFS26 is a paper weapon.
[/QUOT
if the chicoms ever manageto produce the DF21, the US will be able to deploy space based KEWs. Both have about the same level of difficulty.

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

You and your impossible, stupid hundreds of anti-ship missiles. Where do they come from? Carriers aren’t going to come into their range until the defenses have been reduced by air and submarine launched cruise missiles.

What he is describing is a part of WWIII. I don't believe that Chairman Xi is that insane. And even Putin isn't that nuts. Okay, maybe Rump might have been but that's being dealt with. But it would take insanity from pretty much all 3 to start WWIII. And even Rump would have to see the polls before he would do anything that stupid.

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

No the missiles were launched from shore and they have at least a 900 mile range and the ship has to be in jet range of land. They are also mobile not fixed so there is no target to knock out

Really or do you imagine hundreds of air tankers hovering

LOL this is all funny you know

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

No the missiles were launched from shore and they have at least a 900 mile range and the ship has to be in jet range of land.

We all notice that you just ignore the heavy bomber and SSGN launched missile storm that would devastate your country and destroy most of your launchers long before the carriers arrived.

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

What he is describing is a part of WWIII. I don't believe that Chairman Xi is that insane. And even Putin isn't that nuts. Okay, maybe Rump might have been but that's being dealt with. But it would take insanity from pretty much all 3 to start WWIII. And even Rump would have to see the polls before he would do anything that stupid.
Are you going to help Hunter Biden suck chinese wang

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

Are you going to help Hunter Biden suck chinese wang
:itsok:

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

No the missiles were launched from shore and they have at least a 900 mile range and the ship has to be in jet range of land.

We all notice that you just ignore the heavy bomber and SSGN launched missile storm that would devastate your country and destroy most of your launchers long before the carriers arrived.
Nah my point is that as a first strike weapon any carrier is useless against a real enemy. But again one may use a carrier to attack the camels in Afghanistan. That's is why Russia does not depend on old tech like the carrier. LOL bye the way the Ford can't get out of it's own way or lift a single jet as the elevators are stuck

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Flushing billions

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

Nah my point is that as a first strike weapon any carrier is useless against a real enemy. But again one may use a carrier to attack the camels in Afghanistan. That's is why Russia does not depend on old tech like the carrier. LOL bye the way the Ford can't get out of it's own way or lift a single jet as the elevators are stuck

Flushing billions

You are talking about the opening shots of WWIII. And that is another discussion far reaching than just discussing the F-35 who will currently be a small part in that fight. You may wish to start a new thread on that.

No the missiles were launched from shore and they have at least a 900 mile range

And how are those extremely long range anti ship missiles targeted? Something many people touting the long range of missiles often forget. Satellites aren't accurate enough. Submarines are too vulnerable to provide targeting data. The only thing that could provide targeting data is recon aircraft.

And I guarantee you that in war time Chinese or Russian recon aircraft are not going to get remotely near a carrier battle group.

No the missiles were launched from shore and they have at least a 900 mile range

And how are those extremely long range anti ship missiles targeted? Something many people touting the long range of missiles often forget. Satellites aren't accurate enough. Submarines are too vulnerable to provide targeting data. The only thing that could provide targeting data is recon aircraft.

And I guarantee you that in war time Chinese or Russian recon aircraft are not going to get remotely near a carrier battle group.
Kid and I say kid seriously because you have the mind of a child. This is not a midway movie, no aircraft has to get anywhere near a carrier because the carrier is a fucking bullseye visible from space 24 hours a day.

You are thinking in the past

Now would you like to have a discussion on quantum entangled communications achieving thousands of times light speed?

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

..from his PC game..there are THOUSANDS of missiles
hahahahahhahaahahhahaah

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

Flushing billions

You are talking about the opening shots of WWIII. And that is another discussion far reaching than just discussing the F-35 who will currently be a small part in that fight. You may wish to start a new thread on that.
Actually WW3 has begun and you do not even see it

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

hahahahahhahaahahhahaah
So your claim is that China has less than 1000 missiles.

Well you never were really smart but at this point your brain is struggling to figure out how to breath

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

hahahahahhahaahahhahaah

And don't forget about the Cheat code.

Carve it in stone

Not my scenario kid

Yawning

Kid.

Okeedokee

One, the USA

hahahahahhahaahahhahaah
So your claim is that China has less than 1000 missiles.

Well you never were really smart but at this point your brain is struggling to figure out how to breath
you're too young to remember Missile Command arcade game
THOUSANDS of missiles
hahahhahahahahahahhahahaha
1604755309070.png

the carrier is a fucking bullseye visible from space 24 hours a day.

Oh sure. from those 10,000 Chinese and Russian satellites you claim are orbiting the Earth.

Sure.

It's a FUGE ocean out there.

esalla makes what I've heard called "the Star Trek mistake". esalla thinks that something like a satellite orbiting the Earth can simply be told to "scan for aircraft carriers" or something to that effect and almost instantly be able to detect any reasonably sized object on the Earth's surface.

In reality, while a satellite technically "can" detect almost any object on the surface of the Earth....it has to no where to look first. No satellite or combination of satellites ever built can sweep hundreds of thousands of square miles nearly instantly and get results. Looking for an object on the surface of the Earth is difficult enough when it is in a fixed location. It gets even more difficult when the object is moving. And a carrier will typically move at least in a 600 mile radius every day.

Forum List

Back