Extensive Cato study: Rate of misconduct among police is.....0.1%.

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
2010 Annual Report

Someone on here posted this....and probably didn't expect me to do the math.

Cato did an extensive study on police misconduct. ALLEGED misconduct.

Their findings? Rates are 977 out of 100,000. Roughly 1 in 1000. Or 0.1%. (technically about 0.09% but I rounded up for the cop haters...I'm nice.)

Yes. About 0.1% of cops are involved in misconduct.

The Washington Post did a study on shootings. About the same rate are involved in ANY shootings.....0.1%. AND....the Post said circumstances involved in that 1000....the majority involved the cop being assaulted by an armed suspect. So....the "bad shoot" rate is probably about 0.005% of cops...at worst.

Is there any national issue in America that is MORE misunderstood than this one?

The stats show that not only are cops not "out of control"......they're actually doing a pretty God damn miraculous job.

Last edited:
I thought we'd established that police officers were unlikely to report their colleagues for misconduct.

If I understand it correctly, that report analyses media stories of alleged police misconduct, which I assume is then investigated by the various police agencies.

Police agencies are about as likely to find police misconduct as police officers are to report it.

The growing ubiquity of video has merely shown a little of what has gone on for a long time.

I thought we'd established that police officers were unlikely to report their colleagues for misconduct.

If I understand it correctly, that report analyses media stories of alleged police misconduct, which I assume is then investigated by the various police agencies.

Police agencies are about as likely to find police misconduct as police officers are to report it.

The growing ubiquity of video has merely shown a little of what has gone on for a long time.

Those are the stats.

Cop haters will obviously declare "Yeah...but they don't report it all so it's way higher".

Well....we can't prove what we don't know. Has all misconduct been detected? Of course not. Just like not all drug deals are caught.

But.....even if misconduct rates were....say.....5X higher than Catos estimate.....that would be 0.5%.

And those are all ALLEGED and we see with body cameras that many allegations are false.

Facts mean nothing to the Marxist agitators who are the driving force behind Black Lies Matter and the DNC.

Your full of shit!
You have no clue what you're running your mouth about.
99.999% of LEOs are straight, decent, honest people trying to do a very dangerous job. Having to deal with human scum at times.
They value their careers. They are proud of what they do.
When a new hire comes on duty EVERYONE of these LEOs are watching intently to see how the new hire behaves. ONE fucking negative behaviour and the new hire is reported to HR.
NO LEO wants to be tarred with the same brush as someone who is not meant for the job.
No LEO is ORDERED to partner with ANYONE they don't want to partner with.
All it takes is one "No I don't want to partner with so and so" (no reason is demanded) and HR is calling the new hire in for an interview.
Finally. New LEO's have undergone extensive training. The trainers keep extremely detailed records on every aspect of a trainee's behaviour and ability to follow orders and training procedures.
The surest way to fail basic training is to act in any way belligerent or non-compliant or like an asshole.
It comes down to the safety of one's fellow officers and that of the public.
No LE agency wants a fucking 'bad' cop on the street. That cop is a fucking lawsuit against the agency waiting to happen.
All cop-haters have either had numerous negative encounters with LE, or they are about to because they have broken the law or they know in the future they are likely going to get caught breaking the law.....again.
Honest, decent, respectable, law abiding people never have anything to fear from LE.

I agree it is a small percentage, but apparently, ALOT of police mis-happenings go unreported..

Your full of shit!
You have no clue what you're running your mouth about.
99.999% of LEOs are straight, decent, honest people trying to do a very dangerous job. Having to deal with human scum at times.
They value their careers. They are proud of what they do.
When a new hire comes on duty EVERYONE of these LEOs are watching intently to see how the new hire behaves. ONE fucking negative behaviour and the new hire is reported to HR.
NO LEO wants to be tarred with the same brush as someone who is not meant for the job.
No LEO is ORDERED to partner with ANYONE they don't want to partner with.
All it takes is one "No I don't want to partner with so and so" (no reason is demanded) and HR is calling the new hire in for an interview.
Finally. New LEO's have undergone extensive training. The trainers keep extremely detailed records on every aspect of a trainee's behaviour and ability to follow orders and training procedures.
The surest way to fail basic training is to act in any way belligerent or non-compliant or like an asshole.
It comes down to the safety of one's fellow officers and that of the public.
No LE agency wants a fucking 'bad' cop on the street. That cop is a fucking lawsuit against the agency waiting to happen.
All cop-haters have either had numerous negative encounters with LE, or they are about to because they have broken the law or they know in the future they are likely going to get caught breaking the law.....again.
Honest, decent, respectable, law abiding people never have anything to fear from LE.

There you go with that factual nonsense again.

Libtards dont care about no damned facts, son.

The Marxists will demonize and turn the public against our peace officers at every opportunity and divide us against each other. That is about all they are good at any more, aside from destroying any white person that isnt a ghey or just as Marxist as they are.

I agree it is a small percentage, but apparently, ALOT of police mis-happenings go unreported..
According to the fucking scum LE has to deal with.
A couple of years ago a small town in CA put body cams on all LEO's. In one year the number of complaints by the public dropped 80%. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! the number of arrests was the same or slightly higher than the year before.
Give that some thought.

Forum List

Back