Explosions in Kiev?

If you support the protesters, would you support rioting protester is they were in the US protesting against obama's policies? Or, would you say "He was elected get over it"?

While the Ukraine is not technically a part of Russia, Russia has identified the Ukraine as being a part of Russia for centuries. Russia is not going to let their breadbasket go easily.

This was all sparked by a trade deal. Ukraine was on the verge of signing a landmark trade deal with the EU when their President, Viktor Yanukovych, decided to pull out of the talks. He did so under great pressure from Putin.

From your own link:

An AP cameraman saw snipers shooting at protesters in Kiev and video footage showed at least one sniper wearing a Ukraine riot police uniform.

The carnage appears to show that neither Yanukovych nor the opposition leaders appear to be in control of the chaos engulfing Ukraine.

Dr. Oleh Musiy, the top medical coordinator for the protesters told the AP that at least 70 protesters were killed Thursday and over 500 injured, and the death toll could well rise further.

The government has been imposing a brutal crackdown on the people, and they are starting to fight back. Did you want them to just take a beating lying down?

This is a battle between the people who want to align with the West, and the leadership which wants to align with Putin.

It is absolutely fascinating you are lining up on Putin's side.

Oh bite me. :lol:

I'm not lining up on Putin's side. I have no idea where on earth you read that in my post.

I'm just asking the question would Obama or Harper allow these violent protests to continue on Capitol Hill or the White House or in Canada Parliament Hill or 24 Sussex Drive?

Would Obama or Harper allow policemen who were sent in to disband the camp to be killed?

Would Obama or Harper allow 67 policemen to be captured? I find this holier than thou attitude from Western Leaders really disturbing.

Oh and one more time the protestors were the ones who upped the game. Would Obama or Harper think it would be AOK for protestors to firebomb police?

One camp commander, Oleh Mykhnyuk, told the AP even after the truce, protesters still threw firebombs at riot police on the square. As the sun rose, police pulled back, the protesters followed them and police then began shooting at them, he said.

Oh and police have been shot by these bullshit peaceful protestors.

GetFile.aspx

At Least 22 Dead as Truce Collapses in Ukraine

If you support the protesters, would you support rioting protester is they were in the US protesting against obama's policies? Or, would you say "He was elected get over it"?

We have had many public protests over Obama and ObamaCare. Remember Glenn Beck's big tearjerker in DC?

We also saw a lot of Tea Partiers swept into power over ObamaCare.

What we did not see was a government cracking heads and jailing dissidents such as we see in the Ukraine.

Thanks for the opportunity to point out the apples and oranges of the US and the Ukraine.

You are one special idiot for taking Putin's side in this. What the ever loving fuck has gotten into you people? You're swallowing a yard of a Russian strongman's cock now?

Last edited:
Ukranians are sick of the corruption and protesting for something better. The government wants to hold on to power and are willing to go to any length to do so:

""Associated Press journalist Yuras Karmanau describes the carnage in Kiev: "When I walked out into the Maidan, clad in a helmet and a flak jacket, I saw bodies lying on the pavement. Ten in one place, another six a short walk away, five more farther away. The demonstrators were killed with precise shots to their heads or necks, the hallmarks of snipers.""

BBC News - LIVE: Ukraine unrest: Clashes in central Kiev

You could also check out this live feed from the Ukraine. Every 30 minutes or so they show the days' events - one segment is protestors hiding bend homemade shields being picked off by police snipers. Very clear and very graphic so don't watch if this may be upsetting to you.

Live

KyivPost / Independence. Community. Trust is a Ukranian newspaper in English whose editor is American.

The issue I am bringing up in my OP is not whether or not peaceful protests can take place, but what should any leader do with massively violet protests?

Our leaders are condemning the Ukrainian President.

But what the hell would they do if on Capitol Hill violent protestors armed with firebombs, definitely molotov cocktails and weapons were killing and capturing Hill police?

Do nothing?

While the Ukraine is not technically a part of Russia, Russia has identified the Ukraine as being a part of Russia for centuries. Russia is not going to let their breadbasket go easily.

This was all sparked by a trade deal. Ukraine was on the verge of signing a landmark trade deal with the EU when their President, Viktor Yanukovych, decided to pull out of the talks. He did so under great pressure from Putin.

Yanukovych was duly elected. Elections have consequences. Americans should take to the streets in response to obama's policies too.

Russia also kicked in 15 billion dollars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/w...n-opposition-leaders.html?hpw&rref=world&_r=0

Mr. Yanukovych negotiated the $15 billion loan with President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia in December, and Ukraine received a first segment of this soon afterward when Russia purchased Ukrainian bonds worth $3 billion. But Russia suspended further payments last month after violent street clashes in Kiev and the resignation of Ukraine’s Russian-born prime minister.

On Monday, however, Mr. Putin again showed his talent for putting rivals off balance when Russia’s finance minister, Anton Siluanov, told reporters during a visit to the Russian town of Cherepovets that Moscow would this week purchase a further $2 billion of Ukrainian bonds. This indicated that Moscow has now reactivated the previously suspended credit offer.

Ukranians are sick of the corruption and protesting for something better. The government wants to hold on to power and are willing to go to any length to do so:

""Associated Press journalist Yuras Karmanau describes the carnage in Kiev: "When I walked out into the Maidan, clad in a helmet and a flak jacket, I saw bodies lying on the pavement. Ten in one place, another six a short walk away, five more farther away. The demonstrators were killed with precise shots to their heads or necks, the hallmarks of snipers.""

You could also check out this live feed from the Ukraine. Every 30 minutes or so they show the days' events - one segment is protestors hiding bend homemade shields being picked off by police snipers. Very clear and very graphic so don't watch if this may be upsetting to you.

Live

KyivPost / Independence. Community. Trust is a Ukranian newspaper in English whose editor is American.

The conservatives on this board need to take a good look at what tyranny actually looks like and consider that they seem like spoiled infants when they talk of horrible tyranny like taxes and social programs here.

Live

The issue I am bringing up in my OP is not whether or not peaceful protests can take place, but what should any leader do with massively violet protests?

Wow. You are really guzzling Putin's piss, eh? "Massively violent protests". Wow.

But what the hell would they do if on Capitol Hill violent protestors armed with firebombs, definitely molotov cocktails and weapons were killing and capturing Hill police?

Do nothing?

Did you just turn on your TV only a day ago? That's what I am betting. You came late to the game and have somehow gotten it into your airy head that the Ukrainian people just now spontaneously burst into violence completely unprovoked.

That's what this is, isn't it. You are coming from total ignorance of the events leading up to this moment.

Last edited:

I'm Ukrainian Irish as my background. I have relatives in the Ukraine. Very aware of what is going on and of course am painfully aware of the USSR's brutal ways with my brethren.

That's not what my OP is about though.

I'm just seriously asking where the hell do our leaders get off spouting "bad bad bad" leader and condemning violence that is occuring only on one side.

Reports are that even the opposition leader who had tried to help with the truce has no control.

This is an armed insurrection now. Should any government just allow these violent protestors to run rampant burning buildings and kidnapping and killing police?

Last edited:
The Ukranian president negotiated a 15 billion dollar loan from Russia. Should we take to the streets over obama's trillions of dollars in loans from China?

Get to the bottom of it, and it might be paid obama agitators sent to the Ukraine just to start this kind of trouble.

Live

Do nothing?

We had that with Kent State many years ago. Was the National Guard right to have shot those students? Many people believe to this day that it was a tragic error of judgement.

I'm Ukrainian Irish. I have relatives in the Ukraine. Very aware of what is going on and of course am painfully aware of the USSR's brutal ways with my brethren.

I'm just seriously asking where the hell do our leaders get off spouting "bad bad bad" leader and condemning violence that is occuring only on one side.

Reports are that even the opposition leader who had tried to help with the truce has no control.

This is an armed insurrection now. Should any government just allow these violent protestors to run rampant burning buildings and kidnapping and killing police?

The president of Ukraine could defuse this situation pretty easily by simply throwing off the Russian puppet strings and resigning but of course he will sit there while this mess turns into civil war.

I suppose if the North Korean people got tired of being oppressed and erupted into "massively violent protests", tinydancer et al. would be writing emails asking why our government is criticizing the North Korean leader, and wondering aloud if we would put up with that kind of behavior here.

We have had many public protests over Obama and ObamaCare. Remember Glenn Beck's big tearjerker in DC?

We also saw a lot of Tea Partiers swept into power over ObamaCare.

What we did not see was a government cracking heads and jailing dissidents such as we see in the Ukraine.

Thanks for the opportunity to point out the apples and oranges of the US and the Ukraine.

You are one special idiot for taking Putin's side in this. What the ever loving fuck has gotten into you people? You're swallowing a yard of a Russian strongman's cock now?

Piss off with the Putin red herring. It's bullshit.

From your own link:

An AP cameraman saw snipers shooting at protesters in Kiev and video footage showed at least one sniper wearing a Ukraine riot police uniform.

The carnage appears to show that neither Yanukovych nor the opposition leaders appear to be in control of the chaos engulfing Ukraine.

Dr. Oleh Musiy, the top medical coordinator for the protesters told the AP that at least 70 protesters were killed Thursday and over 500 injured, and the death toll could well rise further.

The government has been imposing a brutal crackdown on the people, and they are starting to fight back. Did you want them to just take a beating lying down?

This is a battle between the people who want to align with the West, and the leadership which wants to align with Putin.

It is absolutely fascinating you are lining up on Putin's side.
Snipers shooting at protesters do not mean police snipers.

I suppose if the North Korean people got tired of being oppressed and erupted into "massively violent protests", tinydancer et al. would be writing emails asking why our government is criticizing the North Korean leader, and wondering aloud if we would put up with that kind of behavior here.

Not at all the same. The Ukrainian president was elected. He is also a sane person.

I'm Ukrainian Irish. I have relatives in the Ukraine. Very aware of what is going on and of course am painfully aware of the USSR's brutal ways with my brethren.

The president of Ukraine could defuse this situation pretty easily by simply throwing off the Russian puppet strings and resigning but of course he will sit there while this mess turns into civil war.

This government in the Ukraine is a duly elected government. Just because some people prefer to join the EU, does not give them the right to mount a violent protest to overthrow the government.

Think the USA. Tea Party groups camp out on Capitol Hill and begin getting violent over the budget.

They kill police and capture police. Should Obama resign? Hell no!

Take Canada. Environmental protestors take over Parliament Hill and begin getting violent over the Northern Gateway pipeline.

The kill police and capture police. Should my Prime Minister Harper resign?

HELL NO. And neither should the Ukrainian President.

If citizens decide that they wish to act violently and break all the laws of the land, the leader of that country has the moral duty to put down the insurrection.

Next up. Another election, The proper way to protest is always at the ballot box.

Last edited:
If it was the tea party protesting in New York would the American left have any problem whatsoever with the military putting such an insurrection down?

The president acted in the best interests of the Ukranian people by negotiating a favorable trade agreement and securing 15 billion dollars in loans. That there are some Ukranians that don't like it only means that next time they should try winning the election.

Forum List

Back