Explorer - Version 8

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
I finally got sick of the popups telling me to download Ineternet Explorer 8, but since I did it, I've had nothing but trouble. I get bounced off a current window I'm in ("not responding" error message), which takes me back to my desktop. My history is not saved except for the current log-on, no matter how many times I try to change it.

Plus, I still keep getting the popup to install Internet Explorer 8!!!!!!

HELP!! This is sooooo annoying. I need a nerd's advice.

Get Firefox ... seriously. Notice Explorer is now up to version 8, while Firefox is still only 3, while they are both about the same age. Firefox is stable and so widely used they don't need to make any major changes. It's already fully customizable to, they even have an Explorer theme for it so it will look and feel like IE without all the headaches.

Get Firefox ... seriously. Notice Explorer is now up to version 8, while Firefox is still only 3, while they are both about the same age. Firefox is stable and so widely used they don't need to make any major changes. It's already fully customizable to, they even have an Explorer theme for it so it will look and feel like IE without all the headaches.

Thanks. I get nervous trying something major--I'm just a passive user (don't ask me what's under the hood). I use Yahoo as my server, so can I presume if I download Firefox it will keep all my Yahoo files intact?

Thanks. I get nervous trying something major--I'm just a passive user (don't ask me what's under the hood). I use Yahoo as my server, so can I presume if I download Firefox it will keep all my Yahoo files intact?

Yep, installing Firefox won't change anything, and if you do a quick search online you can find an importer for your links from IE as well.

I always wait a while (months) before installing a new version. Gives MS time to add the "bug" patches. Also recently downloaded Firefox. Haven't noticed a significant speed difference when I do use it, and it doesn't have the multi-tab option, which I frequently use. You could uninstall the new version, reverting back to IE7 and turn off the pop-ups. Saw something about that in another thread earlier today.

I always wait a while (months) before installing a new version. Gives MS time to add the "bug" patches. Also recently downloaded Firefox. Haven't noticed a significant speed difference when I do use it, and it doesn't have the multi-tab option, which I frequently use. You could uninstall the new version, reverting back to IE7 and turn off the pop-ups. Saw something about that in another thread earlier today.

Dude, do you even know what you are using or how to use it? Firefox had multi-tabs long before IE, as a matter of fact it was the first browser after AOL to do it. IE hasn't even come close to catching up, considering tabs are new to IE (version 7 was the FIRST to get it).

Dude, do you even know what you are using or how to use it? Firefox had multi-tabs long before IE, as a matter of fact it was the first browser after AOL to do it. IE hasn't even come close to catching up, considering tabs are new to IE (version 7 was the FIRST to get it).

Then I guess "You're doing it wrong" is applicable.... LOL
Give me a hint.

Give me a hint.

Okay, in Preferences (which is inTools pre 3.0, Edit 3.0+), the "Tabs" (in Gnome it's actually a nifty icon), check the "Always show the tab bar" box. If it's not in there then upgrade, because you have a REALLY old version (1.0). However, if you are on a Mac I don't know how to do it, what I described is only for Windoze or Gnome (Linux). Also, there should be a "open new pages in ..." with two radio buttons (the round ones you can only select one at a time), make sure it's set for "tabs". Then when you right click on a link you should also have the option of open in tab or window.

Have to agree, get Firefox. Or Safari. Anything but IE, it's a steaming pile. Always has been, probably always will be.

Have to agree, get Firefox. Or Safari. Anything but IE, it's a steaming pile. Always has been, probably always will be.

i haven't tried Safari myself, but I have two problems with Opera in Gnome desktop, the tabs look odd and it doesn't run Java applets right. But it is faster and smaller.

i haven't tried Safari myself, but I have two problems with Opera in Gnome desktop, the tabs look odd and it doesn't run Java applets right. But it is faster and smaller.

Safari's not bad. It's the same engine used in Google Chrome.

Safari's not bad. It's the same engine used in Google Chrome.

Chrome uses Mozilla, same as Firefox.

Give me a hint.

Okay, in Preferences (which is inTools pre 3.0, Edit 3.0+), the "Tabs" (in Gnome it's actually a nifty icon), check the "Always show the tab bar" box. If it's not in there then upgrade, because you have a REALLY old version (1.0). However, if you are on a Mac I don't know how to do it, what I described is only for Windoze or Gnome (Linux). Also, there should be a "open new pages in ..." with two radio buttons (the round ones you can only select one at a time), make sure it's set for "tabs". Then when you right click on a link you should also have the option of open in tab or window.

Actually, it was set for "open in new tab", but that doesn't seem to be happening (only one tab shows), nor does a new window open when I changed it. Something definitely not working right here.

Give me a hint.

Actually, it was set for "open in new tab", but that doesn't seem to be happening (only one tab shows), nor does a new window open when I changed it. Something definitely not working right here.

Don't know what you're doing wrong then. Do you have any add ons, script blockers, etc.? You may have one that's blocking the links. If you do have No Script then it shouldn't, but if you have any other script blocker or content block, uninstall them and get No Script instead, some of the others will interfere with other features. You may want to disable all your add ons then enable one at a time and test it with each one. Other than that advice, unless I am there I can't do much more to help. But Firefox tabs should work.

What's your security system? Macafee has a bad habit at least in the version I had of screwing up downloads.

Don't know what you're doing wrong then. Do you have any add ons, script blockers, etc.? You may have one that's blocking the links. If you do have No Script then it shouldn't, but if you have any other script blocker or content block, uninstall them and get No Script instead, some of the others will interfere with other features. You may want to disable all your add ons then enable one at a time and test it with each one. Other than that advice, unless I am there I can't do much more to help. But Firefox tabs should work.

Do have a couple of add-ons enabled. Guess I'll have to report in to my neighborhood "techie".... :)

Do have a couple of add-ons enabled. Guess I'll have to report in to my neighborhood "techie".... :)

Yeah, if the problem isn't one of the common ones then sometimes we have to see the computer in order to fix it.

Thanks for all the input. I guess eventually I'll need to get rid of Explorer based on all the comments. I really envy people who were raised on computers. You guys obviously know a lot more than someone like me whose first intro to "computers" was word processing on a stand-alone Wang!

Thanks for all the input. I guess eventually I'll need to get rid of Explorer based on all the comments. I really envy people who were raised on computers. You guys obviously know a lot more than someone like me whose first intro to "computers" was word processing on a stand-alone Wang!

LOL

Well, I was a prodigy on computers, everything about them comes naturally, hell, I don't even know the "proper" terms or word for most of it I just know how it works. But really, that's the programmers job, to know how it works and all, not the user. Us programmers just have to make it simple enough for everyone and make sure it works, which is why MS is starting to fail. IE is just an example of such a failure because it's failing fastest. I foresee computer businesses selling their machines with Ubuntu pre-installed within the next ten years (after their MS contracts run out or when MS finally collapses).

The funny part, Bill doesn't really care. He said it himself, Microsoft is obsolete now, thus why he turned it over to the moron and went to finish his life with his family.

Yep, installing Firefox won't change anything, and if you do a quick search online you can find an importer for your links from IE as well.

AKKK!!! I'm going to do that. I just spent a half hour trying to download anything. And it's still slow. I defraged, powered down, and tried everything. Even to get here, I had to go in the back door using Google. Accessing the site from favorites just hung there.

Forum List

Back