Explorer - Version 8

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MaggieMae, May 9, 2009.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I finally got sick of the popups telling me to download Ineternet Explorer 8, but since I did it, I've had nothing but trouble. I get bounced off a current window I'm in ("not responding" error message), which takes me back to my desktop. My history is not saved except for the current log-on, no matter how many times I try to change it.

Plus, I still keep getting the popup to install Internet Explorer 8!!!!!!

HELP!! This is sooooo annoying. I need a nerd's advice.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Get Firefox ... seriously. Notice Explorer is now up to version 8, while Firefox is still only 3, while they are both about the same age. Firefox is stable and so widely used they don't need to make any major changes. It's already fully customizable to, they even have an Explorer theme for it so it will look and feel like IE without all the headaches.

3. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Thanks. I get nervous trying something major--I'm just a passive user (don't ask me what's under the hood). I use Yahoo as my server, so can I presume if I download Firefox it will keep all my Yahoo files intact?

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Yep, installing Firefox won't change anything, and if you do a quick search online you can find an importer for your links from IE as well.

5. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    I always wait a while (months) before installing a new version. Gives MS time to add the "bug" patches. Also recently downloaded Firefox. Haven't noticed a significant speed difference when I do use it, and it doesn't have the multi-tab option, which I frequently use. You could uninstall the new version, reverting back to IE7 and turn off the pop-ups. Saw something about that in another thread earlier today.

6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Dude, do you even know what you are using or how to use it? Firefox had multi-tabs long before IE, as a matter of fact it was the first browser after AOL to do it. IE hasn't even come close to catching up, considering tabs are new to IE (version 7 was the FIRST to get it).

7. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

Then I guess "You're doing it wrong" is applicable.... LOL
    Give me a hint.

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Okay, in Preferences (which is inTools pre 3.0, Edit 3.0+), the "Tabs" (in Gnome it's actually a nifty icon), check the "Always show the tab bar" box. If it's not in there then upgrade, because you have a REALLY old version (1.0). However, if you are on a Mac I don't know how to do it, what I described is only for Windoze or Gnome (Linux). Also, there should be a "open new pages in ..." with two radio buttons (the round ones you can only select one at a time), make sure it's set for "tabs". Then when you right click on a link you should also have the option of open in tab or window.

9. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Have to agree, get Firefox. Or Safari. Anything but IE, it's a steaming pile. Always has been, probably always will be.

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    i haven't tried Safari myself, but I have two problems with Opera in Gnome desktop, the tabs look odd and it doesn't run Java applets right. But it is faster and smaller.