Explorer - Version 8

Thanks. I get nervous trying something major--I'm just a passive user (don't ask me what's under the hood). I use Yahoo as my server, so can I presume if I download Firefox it will keep all my Yahoo files intact?

Yep, installing Firefox won't change anything, and if you do a quick search online you can find an importer for your links from IE as well.

AKKK!!! I'm going to do that. I just spent a half hour trying to download anything. And it's still slow. I defraged, powered down, and tried everything. Even to get here, I had to go in the back door using Google. Accessing the site from favorites just hung there.

Hmm ... sounds like you may have gotten a rerouter virus. Yeah, get Firefox as soon as you can, then a script blocker (NoScript works best) from their addons section. It will save you a lot of headaches. If you were more technologically able I would recommend changing OSes completely instead (Ubuntu), but until you are more familiar with computers I wouldn't recommend it yet. Though next time you purchase one, go with Mac, they are very user friendly and have great tech support.

Yep, installing Firefox won't change anything, and if you do a quick search online you can find an importer for your links from IE as well.

AKKK!!! I'm going to do that. I just spent a half hour trying to download anything. And it's still slow. I defraged, powered down, and tried everything. Even to get here, I had to go in the back door using Google. Accessing the site from favorites just hung there.

Hmm ... sounds like you may have gotten a rerouter virus. Yeah, get Firefox as soon as you can, then a script blocker (NoScript works best) from their addons section. It will save you a lot of headaches. If you were more technologically able I would recommend changing OSes completely instead (Ubuntu), but until you are more familiar with computers I wouldn't recommend it yet. Though next time you purchase one, go with Mac, they are very user friendly and have great tech support.

Thanks. I'm getting ready to buy a laptop, and I've already been window shopping. I do like the Mac skinny one, and I need a full size keyboard. My biggest talent is my typing speed which is around 200 wpm, but only on a normal keyboard. Needless to say, your talents are far superior. I would have guessed Ubuntu to be an African tribe, in a multiple choice questionnaire!

Thanks. I'm getting ready to buy a laptop, and I've already been window shopping. I do like the Mac skinny one, and I need a full size keyboard. My biggest talent is my typing speed which is around 200 wpm, but only on a normal keyboard. Needless to say, your talents are far superior. I would have guessed Ubuntu to be an African tribe, in a multiple choice questionnaire!

It is an African word that means (simplistically) community, thus why they chose it for the Linux distro. It's a community project which involves thousands of programmers world wide, and supports basically everything, and when they make something new support is added quickly in spite of MS trying to stop open source from growing. When you install it there is a video they include which talks about it a bit more. It is the future of computing though, but for now it's still confusing to people who are use to Windoze. But getting a Mac will be a step towards it, since Mac uses a lot of software from Linux now and will e using more little by little, while still offering their support.

Have to agree, get Firefox. Or Safari. Anything but IE, it's a steaming pile. Always has been, probably always will be.

i haven't tried Safari myself, but I have two problems with Opera in Gnome desktop, the tabs look odd and it doesn't run Java applets right. But it is faster and smaller.

Opera won't let me download a pdf (using Jaunty/Gnome) but apart from that it seems to run okay.

New Topics

Forum List

Back