Excellent Pot / Kettle

Herman is not a stupid person. He's right.

The evidence: This September, our national debt will hit $15 trillion. For the educationally challenged, that is 102% of our GDP. We will owe more than we have. Any citizen who's debt exceeds their assets is an idiot. Therefore, our government are idiots. Therefore, Cain is right. Our country is being destroyed by stupid people.

Where is the evidence that Cain is stupid?

Any citizen who's debt exceeds their assets is an idiot? Where did you get that?

A young couple makes $70,000 a year and have assets of $20,000. They owe $30,000 on a student loan. They purchase a $200,000 home with $20,000 down and owe $180,000

They owe more than they earn, they owe more than their assets
Are they idiots?

yes, they clearly are.

they should have a rich daddy or a trust fund so that they can buy and pay the house.

Yes.

In fact, to be absolutely accurate, the US debt will be $15.476 trillion. That's 102.6%. My bad.

By gum you're right... Shit! We better get rid of those tax cuts quick, seems they're having a negative effect on our deficit that, for some reason, nobody considered!

Actually, I wouldn't have bitched if Obama had put taxes up..... as long as the rise was ringfenced into the deficit. I'm ok with paying more to ensure our economic stability. I would not be ok with increasing taxes while we're spending our way into oblivion. However, personally, I figure it should be those who voted Obama in that should pay the lions share of the debt. You wanted it, you pay for it. :lol:

Nah, that ain't fair. The problems that led to the record deficits, and the reckless tax cuts, were already there when Obama arrived. Hate to break it to ya, the deficit picture would not be much different regardless of who was elected.

But if it's all I can get, sure. Tax increases for Obama voters only, including myself. Somebody's gotta be OK with their own taxes going up, not just somebody else's - And I guess it's gonna be me.

But for Gods sake do something - I think we all agree we can't continue on like this.

The evidence: This September, our national debt will hit $15 trillion. For the educationally challenged, that is 102% of our GDP. We will owe more than we have. Any citizen who's debt exceeds their assets is an idiot. Therefore, our government are idiots. Therefore, Cain is right. Our country is being destroyed by stupid people.

Any citizen who's debt exceeds their assets is an idiot? Where did you get that?

A young couple makes $70,000 a year and have assets of $20,000. They owe $30,000 on a student loan. They purchase a $200,000 home with $20,000 down and owe $180,000

Are they idiots?

Yes.

In fact, to be absolutely accurate, the US debt will be $15.476 trillion. That's 102.6%. My bad.

Nice dodge....typical

When looking at debt, you also ignore US ASSETS. GDP is not an asset, it does not even belong to the US Government. GDP reflects our economic engine and our ability to generate further wealth

Look at a map of the US. One third of the land is owned by the government. What is it worth?
What is a fully trained carrier task force worth? What is a trained Army Division worth?
What is our interstate highway system, ports and infrastructure worth?

These things are assets that were paid for by our taxes and we the people still own

By gum you're right... Shit! We better get rid of those tax cuts quick, seems they're having a negative effect on our deficit that, for some reason, nobody considered!

Actually, I wouldn't have bitched if Obama had put taxes up..... as long as the rise was ringfenced into the deficit. I'm ok with paying more to ensure our economic stability. I would not be ok with increasing taxes while we're spending our way into oblivion. However, personally, I figure it should be those who voted Obama in that should pay the lions share of the debt. You wanted it, you pay for it. :lol:

Nah, that ain't fair. The problems that led to the record deficits, and the reckless tax cuts, were already there when Obama arrived. Hate to break it to ya, the deficit picture would not be much different regardless of who was elected.

But if it's all I can get, sure. Tax increases for Obama voters only, including myself. Somebody's gotta be OK with their own taxes going up, not just somebody else's - And I guess it's gonna be me.

But for Gods sake do something - I think we all agree we can't continue on like this.

Well, as a conservative, I'm up for higher taxes.... as long as everyone pays their share... including the wealthy.... the proviso being that every damned cent of higher taxes MUST go to the debt.... no social programs, no helping anyone, no letting anyone off the taxes hook.... everybody pays. Ringfence it.

Are they idiots?

Only if they continually brag about how 'exceptional' they are.

That's what Republicans INSISTED in '92!!!!!

"Not only was the entire national deficit eliminated after raising taxes on the wealthy in 1993, but the economy grew so fast for the remainder of the decade that many conservative economists thought that the Fed should raise the prime interest rate in order to slow it down."

HERE

We're broke CG?

how could this happen? didn't i hear something along the lines of 'Deficits don't matter'?

Edited

Your whining doesn't change the facts. I stated those facts once, I will not repeat them. And.... there is a decent amount of Americans who will not stand idly by while stupid people destroy our country in the name of 'redistribution of wealth'.

you mean wall street CG?

yeah, they're making out like bandits lately

We're broke CG?

how could this happen? didn't i hear something along the lines of 'Deficits don't matter'?

Edited

Your whining doesn't change the facts. I stated those facts once, I will not repeat them. And.... there is a decent amount of Americans who will not stand idly by while stupid people destroy our country in the name of 'redistribution of wealth'.

you mean wall street CG?

yeah, they're making out like bandits lately

No, I mean Americans. Wall Street didn't drag us down into this mess. We did. Stop 'blaming' others and own the responsibility.

it just doesn't get better than this>

Herman Cain To CPAC: 'Stupid People Are Ruining America' (VIDEO)

Former pizza chain CEO, tea partier and potential 2012 Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain closed out CPAC on day two, declaring that "the American Dream is under attack," and that "stupid people are ruining America."

Are you attempting to say a succesfull multi-millionaire is some how stupid?

This is something I don't get about people. The man is at the height of success, but b/c you disagree you think he's stupid.

Unless you consider yourself on his level, you might want to reconsider that.

Are they idiots?

Yes.

Nice dodge....typical

When looking at debt, you also ignore US ASSETS. GDP is not an asset, it does not even belong to the US Government. GDP reflects our economic engine and our ability to generate further wealth

Look at a map of the US. One third of the land is owned by the government. What is it worth?
What is a fully trained carrier task force worth? What is a trained Army Division worth?

These things are assets that were paid for by our taxes and we the people still own

GDP is the accepted international measure. Just because it's inconvenient, doesn't make it any less accurate. Owing more than our GDP is unsustainable. Surely that's not above your intellectual paygrade?

We cannot sell what is owned by the government. We can only measure on GDP. We cannot sustain this debt. It will destroy the country for generations. How can you not see that?

Former pizza chain CEO, tea partier and potential 2012 Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain closed out CPAC on day two, declaring that "the American Dream is under attack," and that "stupid people are ruining America."

He's right.

"stupid people are ruining America .... The objective of the liberals is to destroy this country. The objective of the liberals is to make America mediocre like everyone else who aspired to be like America ...become part of this- whatever they call this- world order stuff..tactics are lies, flat out lies......"

Are they idiots?

Yes.

Nah... just start taxing those who pay no income tax at the same rate on every dollar earned as the top bracket... and by golly, I bet you you will start hearing more calls for reduced spending then

it just doesn't get better than this>

Herman Cain To CPAC: 'Stupid People Are Ruining America' (VIDEO)

Are you attempting to say a succesfull multi-millionaire is some how stupid?

This is something I don't get about people. The man is at the height of success, but b/c you disagree you think he's stupid.

Unless you consider yourself on his level, you might want to reconsider that.

A successful multi-millionaire can be stupid, ever heard someone in Hollywood or football player get behind a microphone?

This scenario may be different, but someone can be a genius in one subject and an idiot in another. On a much smaller scale I think most people who have worked on cars I own are idiots, but they know a hell of a lot more about cars than I do.

I'm not saying Herman is stupid, I don't know much about him other than a few broad stances he has in politics, but then again he's never had those stances put to the test in office.

I'll be interested in hearing who gets the blame from 2012-2016, my prediction is it'll be a republican house/congress with obama still as prez.

Yes.

Nice dodge....typical

GDP is the accepted international measure. Just because it's inconvenient, doesn't make it any less accurate. Owing more than our GDP is unsustainable. Surely that's not above your intellectual paygrade?

We cannot sell what is owned by the government. We can only measure on GDP. We cannot sustain this debt. It will destroy the country for generations. How can you not see that?

Hmmmmmm....Condescension when challenged. Everyone is not your intellectual equal
How typical of you CaliGurl

Ready to take back your "citizens who's debt exceeds their assets is an idiot" ??

Government debt does not come without corresponding increase in assets. You can't ignore the materiel and economic engine assets resident in the US.

Government land is an asset and yes it could be sold off if needed
An educated population is an asset, our industrial base is an asset, our infrastructure is an asset.

That young couple owes more than they earn and more than their assets. What they have is a house that can be sold if needed and an education that will generate future wealth. They can still pay off their debt over time and are not in danger of bankruptcy

Nice dodge....typical

Hmmmmmm....Condescension when challenged. Everyone is not your intellectual equal

Ready to take back your "citizens who's debt exceeds their assets is an idiot" ??

Government debt does not come without corresponding increase in assets. You can't ignore the materiel and economic engine assets resident in the US.

An educated population is an asset, our industrial base is an asset, our infrastructure is an asset.

That young couple owes more than they earn and more than their assets. What they have is a house that can be sold if needed and an education that will generate future wealth. They can still pay off their debt over time and are not in danger of bankruptcy

If they have a house that is worth more than their debts, then they're not stupid. So, no. I'm not taking it back.

GDP is the international standard. That is how every other country measures their prosperity... now that we are at a level where our GDP will soon be less than our debt, you think we can change the measurement? Tell that to international economists... and see how seriously they take you. You're being ridiculous. You latch on to a nonsensical scenario to counter a factually accurate statement.

Yes.

Nice dodge....typical

That ain't true. The deficits during the depression and war years were far higher as a percentage of GDP than they are today, followed by decades of prosperity.

Well, as a conservative, I'm up for higher taxes.... as long as everyone pays their share... including the wealthy.... the proviso being that every damned cent of higher taxes MUST go to the debt.... no social programs, no helping anyone, no letting anyone off the taxes hook.... everybody pays. Ringfence it.
And that means everyone. No earned income tax credit and a minimum of 10% tax on every dime earned or received from welfare, unemployment or other social programs.

If they have a house that is worth more than their debts, then they're not stupid. So, no. I'm not taking it back.

GDP is the international standard. That is how every other country measures their prosperity... now that we are at a level where our GDP will soon be less than our debt, you think we can change the measurement? Tell that to international economists... and see how seriously they take you. You're being ridiculous. You latch on to a nonsensical scenario to counter a factually accurate statement.

GDP is ONE measure of prosperity not the sole measure. The US is still the wealthiest nation on earth by a wide margin. That includes not just our GDP, but the total value of everything we own and are capable of producing.

The only reason we carry so much debt is because Americans are lazy and want to maintain their current standard of living without paying for it. Americans and our politicians do not want to own up to sacrifice. That sacrifice means everyone. Not just the very rich and not just the very poor

Forum List

Back