Ex-Bush spokesman: President used 'propaganda' to push war

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
In a scathing new memoir, former White House spokesman Scott McClellan goes after his former bosses for using propaganda to start a war -- and after the press corps for not being skeptical enough of what McClellan himself told them.

Exclusive: McClellan whacks Bush, White House
By MIKE ALLEN | 5/27/08 6:18 PM EST

McClellan says the administration relied on "propaganda" to sell the war.

Former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan writes in a surprisingly scathing memoir to be published next week that President Bush “veered terribly off course,” was not “open and forthright on Iraq,” and took a “permanent campaign approach” to governing at the expense of candor and competence.

Among the most explosive revelations in the 341-page book, titled “What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington’s Culture of Deception” :

• McClellan charges that Bush relied on “propaganda” to sell the war.

• He says the White House press corps was too easy on the administration during the run-up to the war.

• He admits that some of his own assertions from the briefing room podium turned out to be “badly misguided.”

• The longtime Bush loyalist also suggests that two top aides held a secret West Wing meeting to get their story straight about the CIA leak case at a time when federal prosecutors were after them — and McClellan was continuing to defend them despite mounting evidence they had not given him all the facts.

• McClellan asserts that the aides — Karl Rove, the president’s senior adviser, and I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the vice president’s chief of staff — “had at best misled” him about their role in the disclosure of former CIA operative Valerie Plame’s identity.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10649.html

That's what you get from the MSM. When are they going to learn to check facts out? That's why I get my news from Fox.

In a scathing new memoir, former White House spokesman Scott McClellan goes after his former bosses for using propaganda to start a war -- and after the press corps for not being skeptical enough of what McClellan himself told them.

Former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan writes in a surprisingly scathing memoir to be published next week that President Bush “veered terribly off course,” was not “open and forthright on Iraq,” and took a “permanent campaign approach” to governing at the expense of candor and competence.

Among the most explosive revelations in the 341-page book, titled “What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington’s Culture of Deception” :

• He says the White House press corps was too easy on the administration during the run-up to the war.

• He admits that some of his own assertions from the briefing room podium turned out to be “badly misguided.”

• The longtime Bush loyalist also suggests that two top aides held a secret West Wing meeting to get their story straight about the CIA leak case at a time when federal prosecutors were after them — and McClellan was continuing to defend them despite mounting evidence they had not given him all the facts.

• McClellan asserts that the aides — Karl Rove, the president’s senior adviser, and I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the vice president’s chief of staff — “had at best misled” him about their role in the disclosure of former CIA operative Valerie Plame’s identity.

No! Really?:shock: :bowdown:

The White House, regardless which party is in control tailors what it sells to the public to get them to buy it. Duh.:eusa_doh:

I think you should put yourself in for a commendaiton or some such shit ....:rolleyes:

No! Really?:shock: :bowdown:

The White House, regardless which party is in control tailors what it sells to the public to get them to buy it. Duh.:eusa_doh:

I think you should put yourself in for a commendaiton or some such shit ....:rolleyes:

Didn't you know? Only Bush has EVER done any thing like this? Clinton NEVER tailored his information to the press, not once. Not ever. And No other President in History has ever done this, nope Just Bush.

Didn't you know? Only Bush has EVER done any thing like this? Clinton NEVER tailored his information to the press, not once. Not ever. And No other President in History has ever done this, nope Just Bush.

This was a war. Not a transportation bill, or a welfare policy.

It's amazing. You wingnuts spent 5 years saying bush didn't exaggerate, mislead, or otherwise decieve us into a war.

And now, its like, oh well, other presidents misled and propagandized.

You really are immoral.

McClellan receives no money from the book deal I am sure. I wouldn't come out and say nasty things about my former boss either if someone flashed millions in front of my face.

This was a war. Not a transportation bill, or a welfare policy.

It's amazing. You wingnuts spent 5 years saying bush didn't exaggerate, mislead, or otherwise decieve us into a war.

And now, its like, oh well, other presidents misled and propagandized.

You really are immoral.

I suggest you do some reading up on what FDR did for YEARS leading up to WW2. Or Wilson leading up to WW1. You may be just SHOCKED.

I forgot yo mention LBJ and the Gulf of Tonkin "incident". Or any of the other just SHOCKING events leading up to other wars we have had.

If a cop arrested you for drunk driving would you say "My neighbor drinks and drives all the time! He's never been arrested. Why are you singling me out!?" And expect to not go to jail?

Each case should be judged on its own merits. Period.

If a cop arrested you for drunk driving would you say "My neighbor drinks and drives all the time! He's never been arrested. Why are you singling me out!?" And expect to not go to jail?

Each case should be judged on its own merits. Period.

Wrong, the fact is it is standard operating procedure AND the word propaganda is over used. No lies were told. No laws broken and no criminal conduct occurred. THAT is what matters. Further the evidence is compelling it is standard procedure and nothing shocking about it at all.

Any minute now one of Clinton's press folks is going to come out with a condemnatory book about the Clinton White House.

Any minute now.

Just wait.

Very soon.

I'm sure it won't be long.

Okay maybe they're talking to their agent, editor or something.

But it will happen.

Really it will.

Any minute now one of Clinton's press folks is going to come out with a condemnatory book about the Clinton White House.

Any minute now.

Just wait.

Very soon.

I'm sure it won't be long.

Okay maybe they're talking to their agent, editor or something.

But it will happen.

Really it will.
Hmm...maybe Dick Morris or a league of others.....:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back