Even liberals like McCain

REVxERIK

CLASSIC LIBERAL
Sep 2, 2009
This goes out to my conservative/republican friends. I love you. I did some research on the voting records of major political figures. So as a sign of my acceptance that liberals are not always right, i will tell you, mcain is not even half bad. His experience and leadership are truly a great asset. A decorated veteran and stalwart soldier even amidst brutal torture, are signs that i don't think he wishes ill on this country. He's a strong christian and a good father. This is big since my father is not around and seeing that guys do care about their families is quite nice and very respectable. He's also a faithful husband, which is also a big thing in my mind. There are some policies regarding torture and was prisoners that i can bitch about but, i think he really cares for the safety of our country. As what some would call a liberal, i just happen to disagree. But he has valid beliefs. I seriously doubt a man who was tortured by the Vietnamese would advocate torture just for fun. And he also states that war is horrid, and would rather have alliances. As he was a was veteran, calling him a liar on that would be ridiculous. Let's hear it for Mcain, he's cool with me.

This goes out to my conservative/republican friends. I love you. I did some research on the voting records of major political figures. So as a sign of my acceptance that liberals are not always right, i will tell you, mcain is not even half bad. His experience and leadership are truly a great asset. A decorated veteran and stalwart soldier even amidst brutal torture, are signs that i don't think he wishes ill on this country. He's a strong christian and a good father. This is big since my father is not around and seeing that guys do care about their families is quite nice and very respectable. He's also a faithful husband, which is also a big thing in my mind. There are some policies regarding torture and was prisoners that i can bitch about but, i think he really cares for the safety of our country. As what some would call a liberal, i just happen to disagree. But he has valid beliefs. I seriously doubt a man who was tortured by the Vietnamese would advocate torture just for fun. And he also states that war is horrid, and would rather have alliances. As he was a was veteran, calling him a liar on that would be ridiculous. Let's hear it for Mcain, he's cool with me.

Tell that to all of our veterans that he let rot at Walter Reed.

I also admire McCain

But I doubt if his ex wife would support the "faithful husband" tag

there is obviously something i didn't hear read about. happen to have link to the story or something?

I actually like McCain. I liked him more before he sucked up to the "base" and GWB....

I'd have considered giving my vote to the man who ran for president in 2000.... the guy who showed up with Palin? Not so much.

I liked McCain--until he proposed a trillion dollar tax cut that he couldn't pay for!!!

there is obviously something i didn't hear read about. happen to have link to the story or something?
In general, if one looks at JSM's voting record on veterans, it is not a pretty picture. However, one must also take into consideration his position on pork spending. He did not vote for bills if there was pork present.

The Washington Independent » Veterans Groups Question McCain Voting Record

It is McCain’s proposal for a “Veterans Care Access Card” that has draw some of the most intense fire from veterans groups. The card would allow low-income veterans and those in rural areas to use health-care providers outside the VA system.

Critics charge that the proposal is a first step toward privatizing the $100-billion-a-year VA system, because it is being circulated at the same time that McCain is making statements about focusing VA health care on vets with injuries that “are a direct result of combat.” Some vet groups say that the senator wants to direct VA services only to those who have suffered combat injuries in Iraq, Afghanistan and other combat zones.

McCain insists that the “card is not intended to either replace the VA or privatize veterans’ health care.” The card would be made available, he says, to “veterans with illness or injury incurred during their military service, and by those with lower incomes.”

Among the groups opposing the access card is the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Dennis Cullinan, the organization’s national legislative director, told GovernmentExecutive.com that the card would take funding and patients away from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, “undermining the entire system over time.”

Dave Autry of the Disabled American Veterans, which is also skeptical of the card, said Veterans Affairs already pays for outside doctors for vets who live far away from VA medical facilities. “Is this veterans’ access card an expansion of current authority?,” Autry said, “Or is it something designed to supplement the VA system? Or would it open the door for greater privatization of the VA?” Autry said his group is “reserving judgment” until more details are known.

Veterans groups are leery of any efforts to privatize the VA, especially after the Walter Reed Army Medical Center scandal that was, in part, related to privatization of key services. The medical center came under fire after The Washington Post reported that wounded soldiers were living in vermin-infested quarters, in some cases lacking heat and water.

“Walter Reed was a warning sign to be very cautious when you push for privatization,” Autry said, “because things can go wrong without proper oversight.”

McCain voted to table an amendment to a 2006 defense appropriations bill that would have prevented the Dept. of Veteran Affairs from outsourcing support services at Walter Reed.

Paul Sullivan, executive director for Veterans for Common Sense, a 13,000-member advocacy group, said that McCain’s proposed access card’s focus on vets with battlefield injuries raises the possibility that benefits for veterans with non-combat wounds, but with medical conditions linked to military service, will be further restricted.

The Army Times reports that the Bush administration is already rationing benefits based on combat and non-combat injuries for a wide array of benefits — including disability payments, traumatic injury insurance and death gratuity payments.

“Sen. McCain repeatedly uses the phrase ‘wounds of war,’” Sullivan said, noting that 20 percent of the women deployed overseas report being sexually assaulted or harassed. “Would John McCain argue that a service member who was raped should not receive VA care?”

The VA is now treating 350,000 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans. That number is expected to increase as fighting continues and post-battlefield health issues, like post-traumatic stress, raise demand for veterans’ health care, he said. Sullivan estimates there are nearly 900,000 veterans currently eligible for VA services.

While McCain’s voting record has cost him the support of some veterans’ groups, he still retains strong backing among rank-and-file veterans, 91 percent of whom are men and most of whom are 50 and older, according to polls.

This is one area where McCain has a healthy lead. More Americans trust McCain than Obama to ensure that wounded veterans get quality health care. A poll conducted in April during the congressional debate over the G.I. bill by the Harvard School of Public Health and Harris Interactive found that 53 percent of Americans believed that McCain was more suited to help wounded veterans, compared to 35 percent for Obama. Some 55 percent of independents said McCain would make sure veterans received quality care, versus 29 percent for Obama.

McCain’s voting record of generally supporting lower spending on veterans’ issues raises questions among some vets about his commitment to overhaul the Dept. of Veterans Affairs to improve health care and other services. Obama’s voting record, by contrast, suggests that he’s more willing to reform the department, though most of his efforts have been derailed by Senate Republicans or Bush.

“Everyone agrees that there should be a plan to take care of the veterans when they come home,” Sullivan said. “Our principal argument is there is still no plan right now.”

The Washington Independent » Veterans Groups Question McCain Voting Record

It is McCain’s proposal for a “Veterans Care Access Card” that has draw some of the most intense fire from veterans groups. The card would allow low-income veterans and those in rural areas to use health-care providers outside the VA system.

Critics charge that the proposal is a first step toward privatizing the $100-billion-a-year VA system, because it is being circulated at the same time that McCain is making statements about focusing VA health care on vets with injuries that “are a direct result of combat.” Some vet groups say that the senator wants to direct VA services only to those who have suffered combat injuries in Iraq, Afghanistan and other combat zones.

McCain insists that the “card is not intended to either replace the VA or privatize veterans’ health care.” The card would be made available, he says, to “veterans with illness or injury incurred during their military service, and by those with lower incomes.”

Among the groups opposing the access card is the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Dennis Cullinan, the organization’s national legislative director, told GovernmentExecutive.com that the card would take funding and patients away from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, “undermining the entire system over time.”

Dave Autry of the Disabled American Veterans, which is also skeptical of the card, said Veterans Affairs already pays for outside doctors for vets who live far away from VA medical facilities. “Is this veterans’ access card an expansion of current authority?,” Autry said, “Or is it something designed to supplement the VA system? Or would it open the door for greater privatization of the VA?” Autry said his group is “reserving judgment” until more details are known.

Veterans groups are leery of any efforts to privatize the VA, especially after the Walter Reed Army Medical Center scandal that was, in part, related to privatization of key services. The medical center came under fire after The Washington Post reported that wounded soldiers were living in vermin-infested quarters, in some cases lacking heat and water.

“Walter Reed was a warning sign to be very cautious when you push for privatization,” Autry said, “because things can go wrong without proper oversight.”

McCain voted to table an amendment to a 2006 defense appropriations bill that would have prevented the Dept. of Veteran Affairs from outsourcing support services at Walter Reed.

Paul Sullivan, executive director for Veterans for Common Sense, a 13,000-member advocacy group, said that McCain’s proposed access card’s focus on vets with battlefield injuries raises the possibility that benefits for veterans with non-combat wounds, but with medical conditions linked to military service, will be further restricted.

The Army Times reports that the Bush administration is already rationing benefits based on combat and non-combat injuries for a wide array of benefits — including disability payments, traumatic injury insurance and death gratuity payments.

“Sen. McCain repeatedly uses the phrase ‘wounds of war,’” Sullivan said, noting that 20 percent of the women deployed overseas report being sexually assaulted or harassed. “Would John McCain argue that a service member who was raped should not receive VA care?”

The VA is now treating 350,000 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans. That number is expected to increase as fighting continues and post-battlefield health issues, like post-traumatic stress, raise demand for veterans’ health care, he said. Sullivan estimates there are nearly 900,000 veterans currently eligible for VA services.

While McCain’s voting record has cost him the support of some veterans’ groups, he still retains strong backing among rank-and-file veterans, 91 percent of whom are men and most of whom are 50 and older, according to polls.

This is one area where McCain has a healthy lead. More Americans trust McCain than Obama to ensure that wounded veterans get quality health care. A poll conducted in April during the congressional debate over the G.I. bill by the Harvard School of Public Health and Harris Interactive found that 53 percent of Americans believed that McCain was more suited to help wounded veterans, compared to 35 percent for Obama. Some 55 percent of independents said McCain would make sure veterans received quality care, versus 29 percent for Obama.

McCain’s voting record of generally supporting lower spending on veterans’ issues raises questions among some vets about his commitment to overhaul the Dept. of Veterans Affairs to improve health care and other services. Obama’s voting record, by contrast, suggests that he’s more willing to reform the department, though most of his efforts have been derailed by Senate Republicans or Bush.

“Everyone agrees that there should be a plan to take care of the veterans when they come home,” Sullivan said. “Our principal argument is there is still no plan right now.”

really odd ideas for a veteran...

I don't dislike McCain. I just don't think he would make a good President. He'd be better than the President we have now though. Hell, even dumbass me would be a better President than what we have now!!!

Last edited:
I supported McCain in 2000
He was at the time, a true Maverick and had a good perspective on where the country needed to go

The McCain of 2008 looked like he had aged twenty years. Knowing it was his last shot, he sold his soul to the right wing in order to get the nomination. He still showed sparks of the John McCain of old, but those sparks were quickly put out by his right wing handlers

Even liberals like McCain

I haven't liked McCain since the Keating 5.

I actually like McCain. I liked him more before he sucked up to the "base" and GWB....

I'd have considered giving my vote to the man who ran for president in 2000.... the guy who showed up with Palin? Not so much.

Palin sealed the deal with me, once I learned about her I decided I'd vote for Obama.

I did vote for Mr.Bush in 2000 and 2004, and with the Democrats in control of Congress (a mere certainty before the November Election) I reallly wanted to vote "R" because I like divided government. I just... couldn't. The Palin pick, the campaign suspension stunt, etc did me in.

Oh well. I guess we'll all just have to wonder what the world would have been like if he'd been the nominee in 2000.

That's exactly why I don't like him, I voted for Sarah, not him. That's is also the reason he lost.:lol::lol:

That's exactly why I don't like him, I voted for Sarah, not him. That's is also the reason he lost.:lol::lol:

sarah palin depresses me

Sarah is oogly for the eyes, but is simply not worthy of national office. She does not have "it". McCain does, Romney does, when I have been heavy in to the lemonade Huckabee does. Even if I were roaring drunk, I could not vote for Sarah. That would be like putting Joe Arpaio in charge of the country jail. Oh, wait, Maricopa did! Stupid Maricopa County. I don't like voting for whackos on evolution like Huckabee, but I do like his populist politics.

Forum List

Back