Evangelist Bill Graham hospitalized

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Gunny, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Better luck next time for all you morbid, Chritian-haters.;)

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    With a few exceptions, I have seen little Christian-hating. Criticism of the actions of a particular Church is not Christian-hatred or Christian-bashing. Criticism of this administration is not hatred of America. And I know you're more moderate than to think otherwise.

As for Billy Graham, he seems to be a good person who walks it as he talks it. I, for one, am sorry he's ill, but men don't seem to do well after they lose their wives....

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You mean you missed the 10-thread posting party the haters had when Falwell died? I personally didn't care for Falwell myself, but pure hatred that spewed about him was absurd.

They're out there. Wait until Chips hits this thread.

4. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I said there were exceptions... but it's not the rule. As for Falwell... different story. He made himself a political target with his venal comments about 9/11 and gays and al his efforts to have his religious beliefs enacted into law.

And I think he was fair game.

Billy Graham? Doesn't seem to have the venal streak in him... .just seems like a devout man.

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I don’t have time to check all of the posts here on a regular basis. Therefore I might have missed a comment or two. Yet, after a brief historical search of cruel comments concerning Falwell’s death, I could only find posts (or a post) by only one person that seemed to go “over the top”. That post was by MM.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=562285&postcount=2

I even “called him” on it. Please clarify what you mean by “10-thread posting party”. Where are the posts by various people who hate Falwell?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Maybe it was on another board. I don't recall specifically where it was, only that a few went a little far celebrating death of another human being, flawed or not.

I think my comment's getting a little skewed. I said "Christian-haters," meaning however many there are, not any specific number. And "10" is an arbitrary number. I don't know how many actual threads there were, nor even if I saw all of them on only this board.

Don't be such a da damned literalist all the time.:eusa_eh:

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I don't necessarily disagree with you that his expressed beliefs are/were fair game. But as matts points out, one poster was absolutely giddy over his death. That isn't what I'd call scrutinizing the man's beliefs in an objective discussion.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Like I said.... exception, not the rule. ;)

But I'm not sure you want to offtrack your own thread. I figure Billy Graham is a decent enough guy where we can discuss his being ill without rancor. :eusa_whistle:

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I grew up listening to Billy Graham. And I agree with you that he isn't the preacher of hate, nor did he politicize his sermons that I am aware of. I DID however tire of the week-long crusade back in the days of one tv with 3 channels in the house. But if he was on, that tv wouldn't be tuned into anything else.

10. Ruby

Ruby Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think confusing peoples feelings towards Falwell as being a hatred towards "christianity" is disingenuous. I think Falwell inspired hate because he spewed hatred. Anger breeds anger and hate breeds hate. Its human nature to react with hate to someone directing hate AT you.

I think it was more his POLITICS which contained hatred and exclusionary principles that many people reacted hatefully towards.

I am an atheist, I dont hate people who believe in god...I dont hate any particular religion either nor do I find one superior to the other...I just dont actually BELIEVE in any of them to be the truth.