EV road tax on it's way, assuming you can charge !

1668355642492.png

~S~

I never did.
You posted this:

Currently, half of the EVs on the road is between 3,300 and 4,400 pounds. Almost every option on the market is over the 3,300-pound mark, up to the Mercedes EQV which weighs 5,800 pounds.

Gas-powered cars: A typical compact car weighs 2,900 to 3,200 pounds.

You posted this:

Currently, half of the EVs on the road is between 3,300 and 4,400 pounds. Almost every option on the market is over the 3,300-pound mark, up to the Mercedes EQV which weighs 5,800 pounds.

And what did I say about that?

Well a EV, on average, is 750 pounds heavier than a comparable sized gas-powered car.....They should be paying the same or even more.

Most places charge by weight.

7 Reasons Why Electric Cars Are So Heavy.

Even if they weigh about the same road wear and tear is road wear and tear.
Modern cars are heavy. Heck, my Challenger was 4600+lbs.

Makes sense
Right now, roads are paid for through gas taxes

With more EVs, that revenue will be reduced
Pay a tax based on annual mileage driven when you go to register your car

Yes, PLEASE! I can beat that in literally seconds!

Yeah boy......what a way to compare apples to bricks.

You are smarter than this.
Most cars aren't compacts. My Challenger was 4600+lbs.

OK Mr Odometer man

Show me how
No need. It will never happen. It’s unworkable. If and when it happens it will probably be more like how ad valorem taxes are calculated. They determine that year’s budget and tax everyone proportionately to collect the budgeted amount. It’s the KISS method.

No need. It will never happen. It’s unworkable. If and when it happens it will probably be more like how ad valorem taxes are calculated. They determine that years budget and tax everyone equally. It’s the KISS method.
Completely workable
Pay taxes when you register your car

Easy Peasy

Completely workable
Pay taxes when you register your car

Easy Peasy
So I have to report my mileage and I sold a car halfway through the year. How are they going to confirm my mileage?

Not too mention the logistics of verifying everyone’s reported mileage.

Have you ever been to the clerk’s office to renew your tag? It’s a nightmare. So much so that it’s done mostly online now. Walk me through how you seeing this being implemented.

Because if EV’s ever displace ICE vehicles - which I believe will never happen - I believe you are going to get an annual bill for every car you have registered in your name.

So I have to report my mileage and I sold a car halfway through the year. How are they going to confirm my mileage?

Not too mention the logistics of verifying everyone’s reported mileage.

Have you ever been to the clerk’s office to renew your tag? It’s a nightmare. So much so that it’s done mostly online now. Walk me through how you seeing this being implemented.

Because if EV’s ever displace ICE vehicles - which I believe will never happen - I believe you are going to get an annual bill for every car you have registered in your name.
Easy
When you sell your car you report your mileage and close out for the year

When you get your car inspected they record the mileage
You can self report your own mileage most of the time

I report my own water meter.
I may cheat and pay less but that meter will eventually be checked and I must make up the difference

Easy
When you sell your car you report your mileage and close out for the year

When you get your car inspected they record the mileage
You can self report your own mileage most of the time

I report my own water meter.
I may cheat and pay less but that meter will eventually be checked and I must make up the difference
So now the state is going to have to start physically checking mileage? Every year for every vehicle? Never going to happen.

So now the state is going to have to start physically checking mileage? Every year for every vehicle? Never going to happen.

No big deal
Takes seconds

You could even have it done at a charging station

Forum List

Back