EV's are starting to cost more to recharge than filling up an ICE vehicle

I personally think the EV concept needs a new approach. Instead of spending hours recharging the EV the user just swaps the discharged battery with a charged one. The exchange time would be les than it took to fill a standard car with gasoline.

carbattery.jpg

You drive into a narrow lane just like you now drive into an auto carwash.

When you drive into this narrow lane a red light comes on. You engage your parking brake and then sit back while the exchanger exchanges your discharged battery with a charged one. Turnaround time would be about 5 minutes.
Comments
:)-

It's much cheaper to charge an EV here than fill with gasoline ... I'm guessing UK folks can be trusted to dispense gasoline safely ... because that's not the case here, so add the cost of trained professionals to do the actual pumping ... we're allowed to way overcharge Californians for our hydro-power, so that makes electricity all but unmetered ...

If UK is filthy with fossil fuels, they should burn them ... climate change means Scotland will be warmer ... and that should make the Scots easier to deal with ... or maybe not ... who knows ...
Here's reality

I personally think the EV concept needs a new approach. Instead of spending hours recharging the EV the user just swaps the discharged battery with a charged one. The exchange time would be les than it took to fill a standard car with gasoline.

View attachment 747522

You drive into a narrow lane just like you now drive into an auto carwash.

When you drive into this narrow lane a red light comes on. You engage your parking brake and then sit back while the exchanger exchanges your discharged battery with a charged one. Turnaround time would be about 5 minutes.
Comments
:)-
It's banking on getting the manufacturer's to agree on one standard.

What is the cost per kW/hr? ...
Sadly, the answer is akin to, "How long is a piece of string". There are literally hundreds of electric tariffs to choose from in the UK. Also, it varies at what hour of day/night you use electric, and public charge points vary between double your home rate to four times the price.

So whatever sources and tariffs that guy used, it cost him £39 more.

Sadly, the answer is akin to, "How long is a piece of string". There are literally hundreds of electric tariffs to choose from in the UK. Also, it varies at what hour of day/night you use electric, and public charge points vary between double your home rate to four times the price.

So whatever sources and tariffs that guy used, it cost him £39 more.

Yeah ... UK is known for it's high electric rates ... that's why you won't post the rates ... too embarrassing ... you won't show your math because you know it is wrong ...

Yeah ... UK is known for it's high electric rates ... that's why you won't post the rates ... too embarrassing ... you won't show your math because you know it is wrong ...
Just use Google, here's a map from 2022 -

th-996539258.jpg

That is out of date.

Here's a tariff compare site. Scroll right to the bottom, click on home energy and away you go.

Do me a favour, if you find a link showing the cost of electric per tariff, please let me know.

I heard in the news a few months ago that it was only 1p per mile cheaper to charge an EV compared to fuelling up your ICE vehicle. This depended on which charging point you used. Looks like that this has now flipped, depending on how you charge, circumstances etc.. an EV costs more to recharge than refueling an ICE vehicle.

There are some interesting points in the article, but the pro-EVer's rhetoric is beginning to fall apart. They've always cost more to buy and they're beginning to cost more to recharge. Over a third can't charge a car at home and are therefore subjected to the higher charge point costs (if you can find one, and find one working). And road tax for an EV is on the way in 2025 for those EV's registered after 2017.

We've endured the EVer's rhetoric for a few years now, despite the warnings from the adults. "We told you so" is nearly upon us. And as we approach the 2030 deadline, EV's will burn your pocket in the name of trying to reduce your carbon footprint by 17% to 30% towards a cause that was going to wipe mankind out by the year 2000.

Yup, I read an article out of the UK where a man drove his new Volvo EV instead of his normal, 16 year old diesel BMW.

It cost him 50 pounds more and took more than three hours longer to do a 350km drive.

And he was constantly worried about his range.

I heard in the news a few months ago that it was only 1p per mile cheaper to charge an EV compared to fuelling up your ICE vehicle. This depended on which charging point you used. Looks like that this has now flipped, depending on how you charge, circumstances etc.. an EV costs more to recharge than refueling an ICE vehicle.

There are some interesting points in the article, but the pro-EVer's rhetoric is beginning to fall apart. They've always cost more to buy and they're beginning to cost more to recharge. Over a third can't charge a car at home and are therefore subjected to the higher charge point costs (if you can find one, and find one working). And road tax for an EV is on the way in 2025 for those EV's registered after 2017.

We've endured the EVer's rhetoric for a few years now, despite the warnings from the adults. "We told you so" is nearly upon us. And as we approach the 2030 deadline, EV's will burn your pocket in the name of trying to reduce your carbon footprint by 17% to 30% towards a cause that was going to wipe mankind out by the year 2000.

Electrons from photons are free dumbo. Gasoline is not.

Yup, I read an article out of the UK where a man drove his new Volvo EV instead of his normal, 16 year old diesel BMW.

It cost him 50 pounds more and took more than three hours longer to do a 350km drive.

And he was constantly worried about his range.
That’s because he bought a stupid Volvo, not because he bought an EV.
Geesus, where can you go 350 km in the UK and be very far away from electricity. The guy has to be a typical conservative idiot. Average Present day EVs are for commuting, not long distance trips. You buy a hybrid for single vehicle use. Volvo isn’t know for their smarts yet and neither are Volvo owners.

When it comes to forums, one piss poor tactic is to take someone's post, try to twist it and throw it back.

Not my fault EV's are shit.
Which you do all the time. EVs are shit ? Why ? Because you can’t stand they are quiet, more efficient, more powerful and NON polluting

Last edited:
Please tell us where you can get electricity for free. Otherwise your "Electrons from photons are free dumbo. Gasoline is not" comment is irrelevant.
Does the fossil fuel power plant pay for the fuel they use ? Yes or no. Does solar farm owners pay for the photons they use ? yes or no. Does the wind mill generator owner pay for the wind ? Yes or no……

I like your irony. Do you know what, next time you hear, "Penny for your thoughts", you should sell.
So, it’s all right here in this study. The amount of ” waste” generated by a fossil fuel car vs an EV from building it to driving it.

It’s seems the EV is literally, hundreds of times less wasteful.

Forum List

Back