EV road tax on it's way, assuming you can charge !

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
Two stories in one thread, more EV woes -

As UK government finances are under pressure, with reducing ICE taxes, implementation of EV road tax is starting. Albeit on public charge points and not home charging, but it's a start. Good to see EV owners are now on the road to reality and EV cost. Government buying incentives and no road tax distorted the EV enthusiasts minds, but change has started.

^ Tax at charge points, but that's assuming you did charge. Charge Rage is increasing at public charging systems. You come out of the shop to find your car unplugged because of someone else. Doesn't happen to an ICE driver because you fill up and away. What happens if you expected sufficient charge to then get to work, or an appointment etc.. lol.

Then the etiquettes of queue jumping, lol.

Charge cables being stolen, road tax implementation, subsidies being scrapped, range anxiety, unplugging of charging cars, and charge rage; am I the only one that doesn't feel sorry for these "holy than thou attitude" EV owners?

Well a EV, on average, is 750 pounds heavier than a comparable sized gas-powered car.....They should be paying the same or even more.

Link. I had to do this the other day. A Tesla Model S and a Mercedes Model S weigh pretty much the same.

A Tesla model 3 weighs no more than a Corvette.

As to the subject, EV's are already taxed here in many places to cover the fuel taxes they do not pay.

Two stories in one thread, more EV woes -

As UK government finances are under pressure, with reducing ICE taxes, implementation of EV road tax is starting. Albeit on public charge points and not home charging, but it's a start. Good to see EV owners are now on the road to reality and EV cost. Government buying incentives and no road tax distorted the EV enthusiasts minds, but change has started.

^ Tax at charge points, but that's assuming you did charge. Charge Rage is increasing at public charging systems. You come out of the shop to find your car unplugged because of someone else. Doesn't happen to an ICE driver because you fill up and away. What happens if you expected sufficient charge to then get to work, or an appointment etc.. lol.

Then the etiquettes of queue jumping, lol.

Charge cables being stolen, road tax implementation, subsidies being scrapped, range anxiety, unplugging of charging cars, and charge rage; am I the only one that doesn't feel sorry for these "holy than thou attitude" EV owners?

It must suck to live in such a tiny overcrowded country without decent power generation

Link. I had to do this the other day. A Tesla Model S and a Mercedes Model S weigh pretty much the same.

A Tesla model 3 weighs no more than a Corvette.

As to the subject, EV's are already taxed here in many places to cover the fuel taxes they do not pay.
7 Reasons Why Electric Cars Are So Heavy.

Even if they weigh about the same road wear and tear is road wear and tear.

Makes sense
Right now, roads are paid for through gas taxes

With more EVs, that revenue will be reduced
Pay a tax based on annual mileage driven when you go to register your car

7 Reasons Why Electric Cars Are So Heavy.

Even if they weigh about the same road wear and tear is road wear and tear.

Yeah boy......what a way to compare apples to bricks.

Currently, half of the EVs on the road is between 3,300 and 4,400 pounds. Almost every option on the market is over the 3,300-pound mark, up to the Mercedes EQV which weighs 5,800 pounds.

Gas-powered cars: A typical compact car weighs 2,900 to 3,200 pounds.

You are smarter than this.

I am way more worried now about young girls stuck alone at charging stations, waiting hours for her car to be charged up

This is an issue us as a nation we will have to address

It must suck to live in such a tiny overcrowded country without decent power generation
No, it actually sucks to be an EV enthusiast. But the governments don't want EV's to be a fad, hence future dates when new ICE vehicle production will be banned.

We had to endure years of stupid EV owners trying to brag how cheap EV's are, despite initially being nearly double the cost. As the tax income from diesel and petrol reduces, EV tax methods are being implemented. Charge points to begin with.

I read an article that despite petroleum prices increasing, electric prices have increased so much, EV change was 1p a mile cheaper than an ICE vehicle. I sincerely hope the government applies a high tax rate at public charge points.

EV manufacturers should be made by law to build into their charging software, a system that tells the government how much they charge at home, thus direct debiting road tax on the quantity of electric used, irrelevant if the electric came off the grid or your roof.

Reality is starting, and I sense you're not happy!! lol.

No, it actually sucks to be an EV enthusiast. But the governments don't want EV's to be a fad, hence future dates when new ICE vehicle production will be banned.

We had to endure years of stupid EV owners trying to brag how cheap EV's are, despite initially being nearly double the cost. As the tax income from diesel and petrol reduces, EV tax methods are being implemented. Charge points to begin with.

I read an article that despite petroleum prices increasing, electric prices have increased so much, EV change was 1p a mile cheaper than an ICE vehicle. I sincerely hope the government applies a high tax rate at public charge points.

EV manufacturers should be made by law to build into their charging software, a system that tells the government how much they charge at home, thus direct debiting road tax on the quantity of electric used, irrelevant if the electric came off the grid or your roof.

The electric cars are increasing by politics, good God are you that stupid?
It's not supply and demand, it's the government's of the world doing a sales pitch and artificially upping the cost of oil

The electric cars are increasing by politics, good God are you that stupid?
It's not supply and demand, it's the government's of the world doing a sales pitch and artificially upping the cost of oil
I said EV's are due to government legislation.
God are you that stupid?
Read my posts. EV's were given tax subsidies to buy them, no road tax etc... Laws banning the sale of future new EV's after a certain date.

EV's can't compete, they need to be legislated onto people.

The thread is about EV road tax and charge rage, it's not about your poor reading skills.

You have no space on that little island of yours

Currently, half of the EVs on the road is between 3,300 and 4,400 pounds. Almost every option on the market is over the 3,300-pound mark, up to the Mercedes EQV which weighs 5,800 pounds.

So, on average, EVs are heavier.....Road tax 'em.

OK so it's something that needs to catch on nationwide. ;)

It's not just here.

And I was wrong, in WV it's $200. So while I post the first link I found, I'll note it is not accurate.

States That Charge Extra Fees To Own An Electric Vehicle | MYEV.com

If you were trying to compare apples to apples, why are you comparing the average EV to compact ICE vehicles?

Forum List

Back