Ev driving analysis

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
Below is a function graph showing the cost per 100 miles of the average gas powered vehicle at an assumed rate of $3.50 per gallon of gas versus the average electric vehicle at a pay rate of 32 cents per kilowatt hour which would include both kilowatt and line charges. Since the transmission fees compose the bill at a rate of about 50/50 with the actual kwh purchase it doesn't make any sense to separate them from the total. Basing it on the dollar amount spent (x axis) I get roughly 100 miles for $8 with my electric vehicle as opposed to 68 miles for 8 dollars with my gas vehicle.

So the electric wins but not by very much really. Now my employer has charging incentives and I can charge on the campus for free. Locally the dealer I dealt with was so desperate to sell me the car he offered me lifetime free charging on his dealership lot. I don't really expect that to last forever but I have it for now.

If I had no free charging either at work or at home I would pay roughly $8 per 100 miles of travel with my electric vehicle. Using the same parameters $8 gets me only 68 miles with the gas vehicle assuming 30 miles per gallon. The average kwh per mile on an electric vehicle is .25.

The range on the electric is only about half what the gas powered vehicle is. Even with the super fast charging it takes 30 minutes to get a full charge. With my gas vehicle I can pull into any gas station and fill up in less than 2 minutes. Then I can travel about 400 miles without any worries. I now know what range anxiety is as I continue to stare at the dashboard watching the battery work its way down... down...down... on my way from wherever to wherever and trying to remember that I can't go too far away from my charger or at least some commercial charging port. Meh.... I'm not exactly impressed.
Screenshot_20220102-094011_Algeo Calculator.jpg

Last edited:
People make this mistake all the time. People do not buy EV's just for some supposed cost of operation. Many simply like them.

It's like me owning a battery operated lawn mower. I care less if it's more or less expensive to operate. I simply like it. It's quieter and lighter than a standard lawn mower.

Below is a function graph showing the cost per 100 miles of the average gas powered vehicle at an assumed rate of $3.50 per gallon of gas versus the average electric vehicle at a pay rate of 32 cents per kilowatt hour which would include both kilowatt and line charges. Since the transmission fees compose the bill at a rate of about 50/50 with the actual kwh purchase it doesn't make any sense to separate them from the total. Basing it on the dollar amount spent (x axis) I get roughly 100 miles for $8 with my electric vehicle as opposed to 68 miles for 8 dollars with my gas vehicle.

So the electric wins but not by very much really. Now my employer has charging incentives and I can charge on the campus for free. Locally the dealer I dealt with was so desperate to sell me the car he offered me lifetime free charging on his dealership lot. I don't really expect that to last forever but I have it for now.

If I had no free charging either at work or at home I would pay roughly $8 per 100 miles of travel with my electric vehicle. Using the same parameters $8 gets me only 68 miles with the gas vehicle assuming 30 miles per gallon. The average kwh per mile on an electric vehicle is .25.

The range on the electric is only about half what the gas powered vehicle is. Even with the super fast charging it takes 30 minutes to get a full charge. With my gas vehicle I can pull into any gas station and fill up in less than 2 minutes. Then I can travel about 400 miles without any worries. I now know what range anxiety is as I continue to stare at the dashboard watching the battery work its way down... down...down... on my way from wherever to wherever and trying to remember that I can't go too far away from my charger or at least some commercial charging port. Meh.... I'm not exactly impressed.
View attachment 582668
Have we included all the coal burning to make the electricity..................LOLOLOL

How can people be so fucking stupid??.We have a klinkity klnakety electric grid and no one is moving on...................Dumb fookin imbeciles

View attachment 582668
We own two E Cars and have panels on our roof. Loading the batteries overnight at the lowest prices, and if one doesn't need oil changes and tune ups I figure your figures are out of touch with reality.

Yes, but the way most people use EVs, it works out.

You drive to work, come home, plug the car in. Repeat.

Works out fine.

No chargers at a construction site, where everything is still being built.

No chargers at my apartment complex, and no practical way to install any that would be available to me.

And if I have to commute, with my 100+ pounds of tools, on a daily basis, to and from construction sites that may be up to eighty miles away, when am I supposed to be able to spare the time to sit for several hours each day at a public charging station waiting for a car to charge on my way to or from work, compared to mere minutes to fully fuel a gasoline-powered vehicle?

Have we included all the coal burning to make the electricity..................LOLOLOL

How can people be so fucking stupid??.We have a klinkity klnakety electric grid and no one is moving on...................Dumb fookin imbeciles
They never think of that they think the electricity just floats right out of the air and straight into their electric vehicles.

We own two E Cars and have panels on our roof. Loading the batteries overnight at the lowest prices, and if one doesn't need oil changes and tune ups I figure your figures are out of touch with reality.
Only they're not.... they are spot on for 80 to 85% of people who are looking at making the transition.

No chargers at a construction site, where everything is still being built.

No chargers at my apartment complex, and no practical way to install any that would be available to me.

And if I have to commute, with my 100+ pounds of tools, on a daily basis, to and from construction sites that may be up to eighty miles away, when am I supposed to be able to spare the time to sit for several hours each day at a public charging station waiting for a car to charge on my way to or from work, compared to mere minutes to fully fuel a gasoline-powered vehicle?

Another mistake many make. No one cares what you drive.

Another mistake many make. No one cares what you drive.

The criminal piece of shit that infests the position of Governor of my state would like to deny me the ability to purchase any new vehicle that is practical for my needs, after 2035.

It has even issued an executive order to that effect.

Fortunately, long before 2035, this crook will be term-limited out of office, and hopefully a much saner Governor will take its place.

The criminal piece of shit that infests the position of Governor of my state would like to deny me the ability to purchase any new vehicle that is practical for my needs, after 2035.

Fortunately, long before 2035, this crook will be term-limited out of office, and hopefully a much saner Governor will take its place.
People in blue poo states are looking at the red ones wondering why it is so safe and shit is a happenin for the common good.....lololol

No one is going to force you to purchase anything and you have no idea what might be available and what you will want in 2035.

Prove it. E-Cars and even tractors pulling trailers are now in production - this is the future. Better for you to figure out how much hay a horse needs and buy one for you transportation.
You are taking a new more efficient technology and want to ram it down our throats??? Screwing the economy up. How long did it take to switch from horses to cars

Will we eventually have enough coal to make the demand

Do you people ever ask a question on what something might do?

No one is going to force you to purchase anything and you have no idea what might be available and what you will want in 2035.

If the criminal Gavin Newsom has its way, only electric vehicles will be allowed to be sold or registered in California after 2035. That's the executive order that it issued sometime in the past year or so.

If the criminal Gavin Newsom has his way, only electric vehicles will be allowed to be sold or registered in California after 2035. That's the executive order that it issued sometime in the past year or so.

It's too bad it would be a waste but I don't bet unless it's a sure thing but I'd be willing to take that bet that it doesn't happen.

Forum List

Back