Euthanasia and/or assisted suicide

It doesn't take a degree in Harvard Law to determine that assisted suicide is murder. It's like the frog that doesn't know the heat is turned up in the pot until he cooks. We all have heard of anecdotal accounts of mercy killings but the tipping point for assisted suicide comes when the government authorizes murder.

It doesn't take a degree in Harvard Law to determine that assisted suicide is murder. It's like the frog that doesn't know the heat is turned up in the pot until he cooks. We all have heard of anecdotal accounts of mercy killings but the tipping point for assisted suicide comes when the government authorizes murder.

The government already does authorize murder.

I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way.

Which would be consistent with being an authoritarian conservative hostile to individual liberty and fearful of dissent. The individual knows best how to decide concerning personal, private matters, not the state.

You and others on the right are at liberty to have your ‘strong views,’ and apply them to your own personal situations; you are not, however, at liberty to attempt to foist those ‘strong views’ on society in general.

This is why living wills, end of life contracts, and the like are very important – it makes both the individual’s desires known to the state and removes the burden of making such decisions from the family.

oh i know.... many would have no problem helping people who wish to end their lives.....

doctors know better then anyone that a failed suicide attempt can be worse off for the patient then dying.

Then let them prescribe the necessary drugs without government interference.

Unfortunately, the war on drugs makes that impossible.

right.... let the doctors and patients deal with it themselves....

do not prosecute the doctors for prescribing lethal doses.

Who is going to decide if the doctor prescribed the lethal dose upon request of the patient? Does the name Conrad Murray ring a bell?

I'm against assisted suicide. When we stop considering life precious, the more life will be considered disposable. Assisted suicide does not just effect the individual but it also coarsens the society it happens in. One of many reasons I'm against abortion. Generally speaking, we cannot kill people without degrading ourselves. In other words, when life is seen as something other than precious, the more our neighbors will be eyeing our valuables with hammers and knives in hand.

This is a slippery slope fallacy.

And allowing the individual to decide end of life matters absent interference by the state is also an acknowledgement of how precious life is, as one’s death is just as important a part of one’s life.

I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way. I could go on and make a case using my own words, but I think someone else said it better, even if it was before I was born.

His name was Dylan Thomas, his father was dying, and he raged against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

I don't think others should decied who should live or die, but I also believe no one has a right to force me to live in a manner that I find degradeing. For me this means crippled, or if I am loseing my mind, or in a bed with a machine breathing for me, or in constant pain. I think an indeviduel has a right to choose for them selves.

and for all of that lovely poetry...what is it really saying?

It is the plight and prayer of the selfish individual wanting to keep something for himself. He does not want his father to die, he wants him to hang on and fight.....for HIM.

What about what the father wants? doesn't his feeling and wants figure into this? What if the father is ready to go....

It is all about what one person wants someone else to do.....

He is not raging against death... he is raging that his father is dying and he does not want him to die... selfish to the very end.

What about the selfish individual that wants to kill someone simply because they don't like taking care of them?

that is different. That is not assisted suicide. Assisted suicide is prescribing something that will do it cleanly and painlessly... or someone helping you do the deed.

so tell me..... you come to see me laying in a hospital bed...and i am begging you to push that drug to kill me....its to much pain or i am flat out done..... are you going to do it or not?

Do it, and you would not have to ask twice, and dang sure would not have to beg.

I'm against medically assisted suicide. First Do No Harm and all of that. If you want to kill yourself, kill yourself. Don't be a pussy about it and ask for your doctor to do it for you.

What if the person is paralysed from an accident, for example, and cannot take their own life, but someone agrees to assist them?

I know sometimes I'm so harsh on you, but I do believe you have a good heart.

I think we should all even at a young age make a living will. My mum stated after all she'd seen with my dad she signed a "do not resucitate"

You have no idea though what it is like to stand aside. Watch that beautiful soul go into that good night permanently.

Because you don't want to let them go.

If my father had asked, I do believe I would have helped him pass. But he didn't.

We were both close to this. A man reduced to 65 pounds. But he chose life. And as absolutely painful and unrelenting as the pain of death can be, I loved every minute of being in bed with him talking to him, my dad stroking my hair all the last moments we had together.

Who chooses what minute the end comes? This is the question we face.

My family don't have Living Wills, but we do have a mutual agreement that if something were to happen, we'd give each other three months to see a recovery, if not, we pull the plug, or deny food/water.

If my mum or dad decided they wanted to live and not die, I couldn't sit by and watch them die like that. I know they are my parents, but sometimes I think people need to consider their loved ones and think about how much they suffer watching you suffer.

It starts out with helping people die who are terminal and in pain and have decided to die. Then it's people who can't communicate whether they want to die or not. Then the merely depressed. Then those who should want to die but won't make that decision themselves. Then it 's any one inconvenient, undesirable, or isn't happy. The end result is the same. A government of Billy Mumy wishing people away to the cornfield.

There can be laws that prevent this from happening.

There are many examples today of assisted suicide and ending the suffering of the terminal ill and it's a fine line that the system works out. Once a federal statute authorizes killing without judicial supervision the gates are open for ....guess what? Harvesting of human organs and the elimination of the alleged suffering citizens without their consent. It's a whole new game when the federal government authorizes the execution of American citizens for various medical reasons.

I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way.

Which would be consistent with being an authoritarian conservative hostile to individual liberty and fearful of dissent. The individual knows best how to decide concerning personal, private matters, not the state.

You and others on the right are at liberty to have your ‘strong views,’ and apply them to your own personal situations; you are not, however, at liberty to attempt to foist those ‘strong views’ on society in general.

This is why living wills, end of life contracts, and the like are very important – it makes both the individual’s desires known to the state and removes the burden of making such decisions from the family.

Bingo.

What if the person is paralysed from an accident, for example, and cannot take their own life, but someone agrees to assist them?

I think we should all even at a young age make a living will. My mum stated after all she'd seen with my dad she signed a "do not resucitate"

You have no idea though what it is like to stand aside. Watch that beautiful soul go into that good night permanently.

If my father had asked, I do believe I would have helped him pass. But he didn't.

We were both close to this. A man reduced to 65 pounds. But he chose life. And as absolutely painful and unrelenting as the pain of death can be, I loved every minute of being in bed with him talking to him, my dad stroking my hair all the last moments we had together.

My family don't have Living Wills, but we do have a mutual agreement that if something were to happen, we'd give each other three months to see a recovery, if not, we pull the plug, or deny food/water.

If my mum or dad decided they wanted to live and not die, I couldn't sit by and watch them die like that. I know they are my parents, but sometimes I think people need to consider their loved ones and think about how much they suffer watching you suffer.

Having just gone through the deaths of four family members in three weeks, including my dad then mom 11 days later, I can tell you that no matter how much you sit here now saying you'd pull the plug ... when/if it actually came to it you don't know what you'd do. You can't know if you've never been put in the position. Both my parents had living wills. I strongly suggest everyone get one. It helped us tremendously when my mom was in the hospital (she fell and broke her hip six days after her sister died and four days after my dad died). Their living wills stated no heroic measures and for my mom that meant no feeding tubes, no ventilator if she stopped breathing, no cpr if she had a heart attack. They monitored constantly and administered morphine as needed. Had the option to end her life days sooner via lethal dose of morphine been offered, we would have said no. Just saying it's easy to say what you'd do in any situation when you're not in that situation ... but when push comes to shove, you may not be able too. Not arguing or anything, just saying to be aware of this.

I can understand that, and I do agree that unless you are in that situation, you wouldn't know what to do. I hope I am never in such a situation to have to make that decision.

Bingo.

Having just gone through the deaths of four family members in three weeks, including my dad then mom 11 days later, I can tell you that no matter how much you sit here now saying you'd pull the plug ... when/if it actually came to it you don't know what you'd do. You can't know if you've never been put in the position. Both my parents had living wills. I strongly suggest everyone get one. It helped us tremendously when my mom was in the hospital (she fell and broke her hip six days after her sister died and four days after my dad died). Their living wills stated no heroic measures and for my mom that meant no feeding tubes, no ventilator if she stopped breathing, no cpr if she had a heart attack. They monitored constantly and administered morphine as needed. Had the option to end her life days sooner via lethal dose of morphine been offered, we would have said no. Just saying it's easy to say what you'd do in any situation when you're not in that situation ... but when push comes to shove, you may not be able too. Not arguing or anything, just saying to be aware of this.

I woke up one morneing when I was a kid. Step ma was away, it was me, my Dad,and little brother. Fed my brother and we were.going to get the bus. We walked passed our folks room and my brother noticed our Father did not ask for cofee. So I sent him to the bus, and I got the cofee. Long story short, my dad had espphagiel varacies (sp!) . He had puked most of his blood all over his bed. He was some.what with it, and I was able.to call 911. I saw something that dah I had never seen. Fear, real fear in my Fathers. Eyes. That shook me, and I it hurt him. Any way, his liver was fried. He was.given about a year to live, made it about three weeks before he puked blood again, only that time it come from both ends. It got to where he would lose.control of his bowels, then his mind went. He tried twice to kill him self. Once with pain meds, seco d time he cut his wrist. That got him stuck in a bed and restrained. His.death was hard for.all of us. Everyone insisted he be treated. All he wanted was to die with his dignety. I was to young to have a say so was left to my step ma, who left it up.to the paster of our church, who told us if he killed him self he would go hell, which is not true, and is mentioned no ware in the bible. Not me. By law I can do as my father did and kill my self with heroine and booze, I can smoke ciggeretts until I get cancer, but I can not ask my Dr. for drugs that will allow me to pass while I am.of sound mind and not blathering nonsense.at.my family, or shitting my self and haveing my wife wipe my ass. Makes no sense. Dr. should be allowed to advise and assist anyone who can verbally ask for it.

I support jury nullification, that makes me an authoritarian.

Wait, maybe it just makes you ignorant.

Why is it so hard to grasp the difference between personal choice and government sanctioned killing for some people?

Then let them prescribe the necessary drugs without government interference.

Unfortunately, the war on drugs makes that impossible.

right.... let the doctors and patients deal with it themselves....

do not prosecute the doctors for prescribing lethal doses.

Who is going to decide if the doctor prescribed the lethal dose upon request of the patient? Does the name Conrad Murray ring a bell?

I am pretty sure that Mike wasn't trying to kill himself.

I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way. I could go on and make a case using my own words, but I think someone else said it better, even if it was before I was born.

His name was Dylan Thomas, his father was dying, and he raged against the dying of the light.

I don't think others should decied who should live or die, but I also believe no one has a right to force me to live in a manner that I find degradeing. For me this means crippled, or if I am loseing my mind, or in a bed with a machine breathing for me, or in constant pain. I think an indeviduel has a right to choose for them selves.

So do I, I just happen to think that government carving out exceptions that allow people to kill is bad.

So do I, I just happen to think that government carving out exceptions that allow people to kill is bad.

Sadly, the govrenment doing anything at all just screws it up more. This is something that should be kept in the family.

yep and before you pull the trigger will your body to the government so they can dispose of it LOL

same thing goes with what foods or drugs a person wishes to ingest or smoke or whatever. Who ever gave government the authority to trespass and stick their heads that far up our asses anyway?

They make money off of it so they fraudulently use their power to become a 3rd party interlopers and butt into everyones lives.

Until people either start filing endless petitions of suing the shit out of them it will only continue to get worse and we will wind up with a breathing tax before they are done.

Forum List

Back