Euthanasia and/or assisted suicide

and.....

for someone so dead set against government controls in our life.... why are you against the ultimate decision of ones own life? Why should government prevent anyone from taking their own life?

in my opinion, doctors who are willing to prescribe a lethal dose...should be allowed to do that without government interference or fear of prosecution.

I would agree - this issue should be a conservative issue. Why do we need government to tell us what we can and cannot do?

I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way. I could go on and make a case using my own words, but I think someone else said it better, even if it was before I was born.

His name was Dylan Thomas, his father was dying, and he raged against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

and.....

for someone so dead set against government controls in our life.... why are you against the ultimate decision of ones own life? Why should government prevent anyone from taking their own life?

in my opinion, doctors who are willing to prescribe a lethal dose...should be allowed to do that without government interference or fear of prosecution.

And syrenn, you might be very surprised at how many doctors really agree with you, but are bound by their Hippocratic oath. I have heard many physicians acknowledge this fact. I know some personally. :)

I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way. I could go on and make a case using my own words, but I think someone else said it better, even if it was before I was born.

His name was Dylan Thomas, his father was dying, and he raged against the dying of the light.

and.....

And syrenn, you might be very surprised at how many doctors really agree with you, but are bound by their Hippocratic oath. I have heard many physicians acknowledge this fact. I know some personally. :)

oh i know.... many would have no problem helping people who wish to end their lives.....

doctors know better then anyone that a failed suicide attempt can be worse off for the patient then dying.

and for all of that lovely poetry...what is it really saying?

It is the plight and prayer of the selfish individual wanting to keep something for himself. He does not want his father to die, he wants him to hang on and fight.....for HIM.

What about what the father wants? doesn't his feeling and wants figure into this? What if the father is ready to go....

It is all about what one person wants someone else to do.....

He is not raging against death... he is raging that his father is dying and he does not want him to die... selfish to the very end.

What about the selfish individual that wants to kill someone simply because they don't like taking care of them?

and.....

Once again, I am arguing against government here. If the government starts telling us it is legal to kill people under some circumstances, then it is interfering in our lives. If people want to die, that is their choice. If you want to help them, then feel free. If you get caught, justify it. That keeps the government out of it, not in it.

There's a big difference between living and being alive.

When my time comes, I'd like to know that I have the right to check out with some dignity.

The real problem is when others make that decision for you. Besides, you might discover that living is a lot more about what you can do than what you can't once you hit that line you think is all consuming.

and.....

I would agree - this issue should be a conservative issue. Why do we need government to tell us what we can and cannot do?

Making murder illegal is not telling people they cannot murder, it is telling them that, if they do, and get caught, they have to face the music. It is possible to argue that the murder was justifiable, and that you should be set free, even if you gunned down the guy in the middle of Time's Square.

What I object to is government sanctioned death, even if I personally think the guy should get a medal.

and.....

oh i know.... many would have no problem helping people who wish to end their lives.....

doctors know better then anyone that a failed suicide attempt can be worse off for the patient then dying.

Then let them prescribe the necessary drugs without government interference.

Unfortunately, the war on drugs makes that impossible.

I wonder how many people would want to die if they couldn't remember everything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAC-z8F0Mdw#]Marking the Distance - YouTube[/ame]

It is the plight and prayer of the selfish individual wanting to keep something for himself. He does not want his father to die, he wants him to hang on and fight.....for HIM.

What about what the father wants? doesn't his feeling and wants figure into this? What if the father is ready to go....

He is not raging against death... he is raging that his father is dying and he does not want him to die... selfish to the very end.

What about the selfish individual that wants to kill someone simply because they don't like taking care of them?

that is different. That is not assisted suicide. Assisted suicide is prescribing something that will do it cleanly and painlessly... or someone helping you do the deed.

so tell me..... you come to see me laying in a hospital bed...and i am begging you to push that drug to kill me....its to much pain or i am flat out done..... are you going to do it or not?

and.....

Once again, I am arguing against government here. If the government starts telling us it is legal to kill people under some circumstances, then it is interfering in our lives. If people want to die, that is their choice. If you want to help them, then feel free. If you get caught, justify it. That keeps the government out of it, not in it.

They already do tell us it is legal under some circumstances....

capitol punishment.
drone strike
collateral damage

Then let them prescribe the necessary drugs without government interference.

Unfortunately, the war on drugs makes that impossible.

right.... let the doctors and patients deal with it themselves....

do not prosecute the doctors for prescribing lethal doses.

It starts out with helping people die who are terminal and in pain and have decided to die. Then it's people who can't communicate whether they want to die or not. Then the merely depressed. Then those who should want to die but won't make that decision themselves. Then it 's any one inconvenient, undesirable, or isn't happy. The end result is the same. A government of Billy Mumy wishing people away to the cornfield.

Christina Symanski, 24, starved herself to death after she was paralysed so boyfriend could move on | Mail Online

Life; Paralyzed

Take a few minutes to read this woman's words that led to her taking her own life.

I believe we do and should own our own bodies. It is a very basic right and one that can never be taken away.

Doctors and friends have assisted in suicides and they always will. As noted earlier, I once read that Freud was killed by his doctor, "Max". When the agony of his cancer became unbearable, Max killed him.

A long time ago, a dear friend who was the head of the local humane society said that it takes enormous compassion to "euthanize" healthy dogs and cats, puppies and kittens.

Why do we not show that same compassion to human beings we say we love?

and.....

Exactly.

We should never ever give the state control over our bodies. Whether its women's right to control their own reproduction or our right to die in the manner we wish, keep government out of our private lives.

Christina Symanski, 24, starved herself to death after she was paralysed so boyfriend could move on | Mail Online

Life; Paralyzed

Take a few minutes to read this woman's words that led to her taking her own life.

I believe we do and should own our own bodies. It is a very basic right and one that can never be taken away.

Doctors and friends have assisted in suicides and they always will. As noted earlier, I once read that Freud was killed by his doctor, "Max". When the agony of his cancer became unbearable, Max killed him.

A long time ago, a dear friend who was the head of the local humane society said that it takes enormous compassion to "euthanize" healthy dogs and cats, puppies and kittens.

Why do we not show that same compassion to human beings we say we love?

Euthanize them when they are healthy before they get sick and start costing money. We euthanize healthy animals that are unwanted.
Think of rounding up the homeless off the streets and humanely euthanizing them. How much money could be saved if we euthanized all those unwanted kids in foster care?

Yet, the liberals hate the death penalty. They must have a lot of compassion for killers because they kill putting liberals and murderers on the same side.

that is different. That is not assisted suicide. Assisted suicide is prescribing something that will do it cleanly and painlessly... or someone helping you do the deed.

so tell me..... you come to see me laying in a hospital bed...and i am begging you to push that drug to kill me....its to much pain or i am flat out done..... are you going to do it or not?

Assisted suicide is what Dr Kevorkian did, putting the needle in the arm, setting up a special cocktail of drugs, and then giving them the button. Prescribing an OD of drugs should be legal because then it would be the choice of the patient, and the doctor wouldn't be breaking the "First, do not harm" part of their oath.

Forum List

Back