Euthanasia and/or assisted suicide

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way. I could go on and make a case using my own words, but I think someone else said it better, even if it was before I was born.

His name was Dylan Thomas, his father was dying, and he raged against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

I'm against medically assisted suicide. First Do No Harm and all of that. If you want to kill yourself, kill yourself. Don't be a pussy about it and ask for your doctor to do it for you.

I have pretty strong views about euthanasia. To sum them up, it sucks. There should never be a government sanctioned option that allows people to kill others simply because it makes us uncomfortable to imagine ourselves living that way. I could go on and make a case using my own words, but I think someone else said it better, even if it was before I was born.

His name was Dylan Thomas, his father was dying, and he raged against the dying of the light.

I could not agree more.

Government sanctioned euthanasia is a fine line into the abyss.

Many people have lost their vision on what they can learn from people who suffer from diseases and illnesses. I think they are afraid of people who have a life of pain, afraid they might have to sacrifice something.

This song is about a loved one suffering

Last edited by a moderator:
I am for it. But it will never be allowed so I am fully prepared to not be a pussy and do it myself when the time comes.

I am for it. But it will never be allowed so I am fully prepared to not be a pussy and do it myself when the time comes.

I support the right of a patient to ask their physician, for a prescription, that will end their life, if taken. The requirements are fair, in my state, of Oregon and the voters overwhelmingly passed it more than once, as it was challenged. The physician cannot do any assisting other than write the prescription. The patient has to be able to take the two medications of their own volition.

In other words, be able to use their hands to put it in their mouths and then to swallow them. Some patients with certain conditions cannot do this. I am sorry for them. If they feel they are suffering, then who am I to deny them the same consideration we allow for our beloved pets, when they are suffering beyond all that has been done, to help them.

Death with Dignity Act

On October 27, 1997 Oregon enacted the Death with Dignity Act which allows terminally-ill Oregonians to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of lethal medications, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. The Oregon Death with Dignity Act requires the Oregon Health Authority to collect information about the patients and physicians who participate in the Act, and publish an annual statistical report.

more:

Death with Dignity Act

Oregon Ballot Measure 16 (1994) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thankfully,we already have assisted suicide/euthanasia through hospice care. They often supply enough morphine patches to release a loved one from intolerable pain. I hope none of you are in charge at the end of my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm against medically assisted suicide. First Do No Harm and all of that. If you want to kill yourself, kill yourself. Don't be a pussy about it and ask for your doctor to do it for you.

What if the person is paralysed from an accident, for example, and cannot take their own life, but someone agrees to assist them?

"Thanks, but I'm not hungry. Please just make me comfortable."

Frankly, this is why nothing every gets done. too many people whip out the cases that are so extreme and unlikely as to be nearly comical and hang their argument on that example.

It would not be about just your pain but the family's pain.

I would prefer to spare them a lengthy session of it. Not to mention the cost of what ever is happening.

Better to move on.

I will dance before death. I know I will dance a long time.

Death you see hangs over your shoulder every day of your life. You have to live every day as he breathes over you.

I will dance the good dance.

What if the person is paralysed from an accident, for example, and cannot take their own life, but someone agrees to assist them?

I know sometimes I'm so harsh on you, but I do believe you have a good heart.

I think we should all even at a young age make a living will. My mum stated after all she'd seen with my dad she signed a "do not resucitate"

You have no idea though what it is like to stand aside. Watch that beautiful soul go into that good night permanently.

Because you don't want to let them go.

If my father had asked, I do believe I would have helped him pass. But he didn't.

We were both close to this. A man reduced to 65 pounds. But he chose life. And as absolutely painful and unrelenting as the pain of death can be, I loved every minute of being in bed with him talking to him, my dad stroking my hair all the last moments we had together.

Who chooses what minute the end comes? This is the question we face.

and for all of that lovely poetry...what is it really saying?

It is the plight and prayer of the selfish individual wanting to keep something for himself. He does not want his father to die, he wants him to hang on and fight.....for HIM.

What about what the father wants? doesn't his feeling and wants figure into this? What if the father is ready to go....

It is all about what one person wants someone else to do.....

He is not raging against death... he is raging that his father is dying and he does not want him to die... selfish to the very end.

Last edited:

and.....

for someone so dead set against government controls in our life.... why are you against the ultimate decision of ones own life? Why should government prevent anyone from taking their own life?

in my opinion, doctors who are willing to prescribe a lethal dose...should be allowed to do that without government interference or fear of prosecution.

I'm against assisted suicide. When we stop considering life precious, the more life will be considered disposable. Assisted suicide does not just effect the individual but it also coarsens the society it happens in. One of many reasons I'm against abortion. Generally speaking, we cannot kill people without degrading ourselves. In other words, when life is seen as something other than precious, the more our neighbors will be eyeing our valuables with hammers and knives in hand.

Method is the problem. If you get so sick and old that you want to die you need a method.
Taking an overdose of drugs could simply make you more ill without killing you. It could damage your liver, kidneys and brain. The medical profession publish books which they circulate among themseves, to tell them what drugs are available, and what is a fatal dose.
I know because I have such a book myself, I stole it from a doctors doorstep. It is information I may make use of when I can no longer look after myself due to age and infirmity. But I would hate to have a stroke and find myself paralyzed, and unable to take the drugs. Because at the moment in England it would be illegal for a doctor to help me die. Bummer.

I live in hope of a quick death.:eek:

and.....

for someone so dead set against government controls in our life.... why are you against the ultimate decision of ones own life? Why should government prevent anyone from taking their own life?

in my opinion, doctors who are willing to prescribe a lethal dose...should be allowed to do that without government interference or fear of prosecution.

Slippery slope allow the Government that control and it will grow with each passing year till they are deciding when people are useful and when to "end" their uselessness.

There's a big difference between living and being alive.

When my time comes, I'd like to know that I have the right to check out with some dignity.

and.....

Slippery slope allow the Government that control and it will grow with each passing year till they are deciding when people are useful and when to "end" their uselessness.

the government controls it now..... you cant have assisted suicides.

Forum List

Back