Eugene Robinson sobs over us having guns

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Will we even pretend to do anything to prevent the next mass shooting by a crazed loner? I doubt it. We'll just add Aurora to the growing list -- Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tucson -- and wait for the inevitable.

When that next atrocity comes, we'll tell each other we're shocked and stunned, knowing full well we should be neither. We'll probe the assailant's life in search of a motive, knowing full well we won't find one that makes any sense. We'll comfort the survivors and the victims' families and assure them their suffering will not be in vain.

Meanwhile, somewhere out there, another disturbed young man will be purchasing an assault rifle and making unspeakable plans.

I can only conclude that we, as a society, have decided this state of affairs is acceptable, that the occasional murderous rampage is the price we pay for ... for what? For freedom? For the Second Amendment? For campaign contributions from the National Rifle Association?

Forgive me if I sound cynical. I'm afraid I am. Five years ago, I arrived on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va., just hours after student Seung Hui Cho's murderous rampage left 33 dead, including himself. I will never forget what it felt like -- the stunned disbelief, the white-hot anger, the unbearable sadness of so many young lives being extinguished for no reason, no higher purpose. No purpose at all.

I was there as a journalist, so I interviewed witnesses and survivors, took notes, wrote columns. But I was hardly an objective observer because I'm a father who has sent two sons off to college.

I don't own a gun and never have.

But this is disgusting.

We kill 180,000 people a year because of cigarettes and 19,000 people die because of drunk drivers.

Robins uses the deaths of youth in Colorado for one purpose, to stick his finger in the eye of the right.

I would not want anyone to shoot Eugene. Instead, I'd like the them to beat him black and blue with the stock (oops sorry...only blue).

Will we even pretend to do anything to prevent the next mass shooting by a crazed loner? I doubt it. We'll just add Aurora to the growing list -- Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tucson -- and wait for the inevitable.

When that next atrocity comes, we'll tell each other we're shocked and stunned, knowing full well we should be neither. We'll probe the assailant's life in search of a motive, knowing full well we won't find one that makes any sense. We'll comfort the survivors and the victims' families and assure them their suffering will not be in vain.

Meanwhile, somewhere out there, another disturbed young man will be purchasing an assault rifle and making unspeakable plans.

I can only conclude that we, as a society, have decided this state of affairs is acceptable, that the occasional murderous rampage is the price we pay for ... for what? For freedom? For the Second Amendment? For campaign contributions from the National Rifle Association?

Forgive me if I sound cynical. I'm afraid I am. Five years ago, I arrived on the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va., just hours after student Seung Hui Cho's murderous rampage left 33 dead, including himself. I will never forget what it felt like -- the stunned disbelief, the white-hot anger, the unbearable sadness of so many young lives being extinguished for no reason, no higher purpose. No purpose at all.

I was there as a journalist, so I interviewed witnesses and survivors, took notes, wrote columns. But I was hardly an objective observer because I'm a father who has sent two sons off to college.

But this is disgusting.

We kill 180,000 people a year because of cigarettes and 19,000 people die because of drunk drivers.

Robins uses the deaths of youth in Colorado for one purpose, to stick his finger in the eye of the right.

I would not want anyone to shoot Eugene. Instead, I'd like the them to beat him black and blue with the stock (oops sorry...only blue).

Help me out here..

You want Mr. Robinson beaten because of his "opinion"?

Is that part of your religion doctrine? Or a personal thing? And if it's a personal thing..are you really all that religious?

As an atheist and an American..I think everyone should be free to express their opinions, free of violence.

But this is disgusting.

Help me out here..

Is that part of your religion doctrine? Or a personal thing? And if it's a personal thing..are you really all that religious?

As an atheist and an American..I think everyone should be free to express their opinions, free of violence.

If I were next to Mr. Robinson and I had a gun, I would not beat him.

If I were next to Mr. Robins and he was being beaten with a gun, I'd help him....after watching for a while. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

The guy is an asshole.

And, of course, that is must my point of view.

Sue me.

A bump or (lump) for Euguene Robinson's willingness to use tragedy to poke at the political right.

You get the crazed person, not take away law abiding gun owners rights.
There are plenty of signs out there for those who are insane, before they commit the mass murders.
We need to get these type of people help.

There are plenty of signs out there for those who are insane, before they commit the mass murders.

Yep.

Alot of these people want to commit violent acts against people they disagree with.. :eusa_whistle:

Would gun control have stopped Timothy McVeigh's mass murder at the Murrah Building?

Do you have any suggestions as to what might be done?

I can think of many, but they are all illegal.

We cannot lock someone up against their will if they have not committed a crime.
We cannot medicate someone against their will.
Can we make a judgment that someone is insane and get authorities to act on that opinion?

The criminally insane do not have their civil liberties stripped from them because they are "sick" and "need help".

But this is disgusting.

Everyone has their own feelings about firearms, to this day I still have members of my family that become uneasy at the sight of one.

I will not be a DNC peasant. There isnt a law that can be created to disarm me. Even with the possibility they the government would enter my home. They would never find them all.

Now as a collector with a C@R The government doesnt need a warrant. They may get the steak, But I will always have a sandwich and so will my heirs.

Would gun control have stopped Timothy McVeigh's mass murder at the Murrah Building?

Even if it could have....that is no justification for gun control laws.

The 2nd amendment is clear.

What is so strange is that we think we can deter this by laws.

Does anyone really think that gun control laws will stop this....

Well....look at England

Does England have the same kind of whacked out movies and TV programs we have ?

Bump....

The subject is LowLife Robinson and his exploitation of a tragedy for political purposes.

Please libs, please keep talking about gun control!
Please make it a platform speech at this years DNC!

But this is disgusting.

I thought you were actually going to address anything he said...Silly me.

So once again the rights answer is: Nothing will help and nothing can be done

Awesome!

But this is disgusting.

People who dies of cigarettes really have no one to blame but themselves. Unless you want to ban them, which I have no problem with.

Same with drunk drivers.

We have 10,000 gun deaths every year. Compared to most of the rest of the world, that's an unacceptable amount.

Please libs, please keep talking about gun control!
Please make it a platform speech at this years DNC!

Why not keep talking about this "real" issue? Wingnuts are already convinced that Obama is trying to take our guns - because he says he isn't...

But this is disgusting.

Help me out here..

First it was probably a figure of speech, we know liberals cant figure out those nuances, but as for Robinson, he's a dumbass commie, of course he wants guns banned, because he thinks he'll be part of the central committee in charge, sucks for him, because he wont.

Forum List

Back