Ethics Violation: Banks Give Barney Frank Rent Subsidy

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Ethics Violation: Banks Give Barney Frank Rent Subsidy

Headline: Barney Frank gets below market rental apartment in building owned by banks, and declares it is not a gift.

Is cheap rent a gift? Declarable income?

What do you think? If this were a true story, what would you say? :eusa_whistle:

---

we do have a very real situation that mirrors this one:

The Office of Congressional Ethics has sent letters to several residents of the C Street Christian fellowship house informing them that there is no "probable cause" to believe legislators are getting improper gifts in the form of below-market rent, Roll Call reports.

The house has been the target of more than one allegation that the reported rent of $950 for a furnished room amounts to an unreported gift or income.

Ethics Office Clears C Street House In Rent Probe | TPMMuckraker

Can you please link the article?

What would you say?

I remember when Kerry was running for Senate or Lt. Governor(?) his use of cheap apts from people was viewed by many as an ethical violation. The man was divorced, paying alimony and not independently wealthy. Friends gave him cheap rentals below market value. Was a big deal.

What would you say?

I remember when Kerry was running for Senate or Lt. Governor(?) his use of cheap apts from people was viewed by many as an ethical violation. The man was divorced, paying alimony and not independently wealthy. Friends gave him cheap rentals below market value. Was a big deal.
It would depend on who was providing the cut rate rentals. It certainly could be a case of bribery.

What would you say?

It would depend on who was providing the cut rate rentals. It certainly could be a case of bribery.

Bribery in all forms is illegal. I mentioned ethics violations (legal situations) regarding gifts and what is viewed as a gift.

What would you say?

The Office of Congressional Ethics has sent letters to several residents of the C Street Christian fellowship house informing them that there is no "probable cause" to believe legislators are getting improper gifts in the form of below-market rent, Roll Call reports C Street | TPMMuckraker

I think the above stinks.

What would you say?

The Office of Congressional Ethics has sent letters to several residents of the C Street Christian fellowship house informing them that there is no "probable cause" to believe legislators are getting improper gifts in the form of below-market rent, Roll Call reports C Street | TPMMuckraker

This was a great idea for a thread. You should have kept it going a bit longer. It would have been fun to see the rightwing reactionaries flock to it like vultures.

This was a great idea for a thread. You should have kept it going a bit longer. It would have been fun to see the rightwing reactionaries flock to it like vultures.

I was going to, but I think if they visit they get the point.

Right Wing Christian Conservatives, have very few ethics if they truly believe they are not getting gifts in the form of rent subsidies -- regardless of what an ethics committee rules on. One guy even said attacks on this were attacks on his faith.

Right Wing Christian Conservatives, have very few ethics if they truly believe they are not getting gifts in the form of rent subsidies -- regardless of what an ethics committee rules on. One guy even said attacks on this were attacks on his faith.
They are above needing ethics. They have God on their side.

They are above needing ethics. They have God on their side.

Actually, these men are pushing the conservative Christian agenda. This is a huge story with no legs in the media.

What do you think? If this were a true story, what would you say? :eusa_whistle:

---

The Office of Congressional Ethics has sent letters to several residents of the C Street Christian fellowship house informing them that there is no "probable cause" to believe legislators are getting improper gifts in the form of below-market rent, Roll Call reports.

The house has been the target of more than one allegation that the reported rent of $950 for a furnished room amounts to an unreported gift or income.

oh....so this is a hypo....you shoudl have stated that instead of playing hide the ball dainty

---

oh....so this is a hypo....you shoudl have stated that instead of playing hide the ball dainty

stated what? there was no deception. I am not now nor have I ever been, a Conservative Christian Hypocrite.

Right Wing Christian Conseratives? Left and right are involved in this. From your link:

Aides to Reps. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), Mike Doyle (D-Pa.) and Zach Wamp (R-Tenn.) said Friday that each lawmaker received a letter from the OCE informing him that it closed the investigation.

Massa D was also one of the beneficiaries.

CaféAuLait;2439475 said:

Right Wing Christian Conseratives? Left and right are involved in this. From your link:

Aides to Reps. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), Mike Doyle (D-Pa.) and Zach Wamp (R-Tenn.) said Friday that each lawmaker received a letter from the OCE informing him that it closed the investigation.

Massa D was also one of the beneficiaries.

Another wingnut unclear on the concept?

sigh

Being a Democrat makes one 'on the left?" :cuckoo:

Right Wing Christian Conservatives.:

"I'm a child of God and I find my deepest worth in that, so the integrity of the church as a representative of God is important to me," Williams told TPM. "I'm also a passionate registered voter."

Although the C Street house is known to have ties to the Fellowship, a secretive Christian group also known as the Family, the director of the Fellowship denied this to the Columbus Dispatch. The house "is simply not a part of anything we do," he said.

But, as the Dispatch points out, the house's property deed was signed by the Family's secretary, and the Family described the house as an affiliated organization on recent tax forms.
Ohio Pastors File IRS Complaints Over C Street House | TPMMuckraker

and part of the message is how the ethics panel dropped the ball on this one.
:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back