Ethics of Right versus Left

It must be nice to run as a democrat. It's easy for democrats to spend time sniping at republicans for sometimes failing to live up to family values and morality because they make no claim to having any morality themselves.

It seems that the ones who speak out the loudest about the high morality of their party are the ones hiding immoral activity in their closet.

Jimmy Swaggert, Ted Haggard and the toe tapper from Idaho come to mind right off.

Please point out all the poor starving children to me.

How can you reconcile saying kids are starving and too fat at the same time? That is the Obama administration in a nut-shell.

And explain why Canadians come to the US for treatment.

The left is currently playing a game. They figure no crisis should be wasted. Truth is they need crisis. That's why they regularly invent them simply to patronize one segment of the electorate over another. They do this to marginalize and demonize their critics. Since 2000 it has been one crisis after another. Some real, some imagined. All media generated.

And this is why ya'll get painted as douche bags. You really don't think there is hunger in this country? Seriously?

Hunger Study 2010

As for Canadians coming to the US for care...

Myth: Canadians are paying out of pocket to come to the U.S. for medical care.
Most patients who come from Canada to the U.S. for health care are those whose costs are covered by the Canadian governments. If a Canadian goes outside of the country to get services that are deemed medically necessary, not experimental, and are not available at home for whatever reason (e.g., shortage or absence of high tech medical equipment; a longer wait for service than is medically prudent; or lack of physician expertise), the provincial government where you live fully funds your care. Those patients who do come to the U.S. for care and pay out of pocket are those who perceive their care to be more urgent than it likely is.

Debunking Canadian health care myths

Nobody is denying that the US has the best medical care in the world...what we don't have is the best access to it. Health care shouldn't be just for those that can afford it.

I suggest you donate. You linked to a non-profit advert. Donate to it if the spirit moves.

And Canadians get treatment for symptoms but actual treatment for causatation is harder to come by. Remember Obama's statement "just take a pill".

What do you think pain medication does to you over time???

Just ask Ryan Leaf what it does. I would tell you to ask all the celebratards that are overdosing on the stuff, but you can't....cuz they're pushing up daisies.

Last edited:
It must be nice to run as a democrat. It's easy for democrats to spend time sniping at republicans for sometimes failing to live up to family values and morality because they make no claim to having any morality themselves.

It seems that the ones who speak out the loudest about the high morality of their party are the ones hiding immoral activity in their closet.

Jimmy Swaggert, Ted Haggard and the toe tapper from Idaho come to mind right off.

Both sides have them, but I do agree with your statement.

I don't know who Ted Haggard is, but the rest are gone.

I bet I can site at least one example of somebody on the left doing the same thing and they got a pass from folks like you.....so forget the morality BS. That dog won't hunt.

Last edited:
There are pitfalls when trying to demonize your enemies, or those you disagree with. In this piece, I fall into all of them; I let my convictions and emotions paint the picture rather than the evidence.

Still, I think the sentiment is right; the facts are besides the point. My point is logical rather than evidence-based. The point I'm trying to make is that the right wing ethic is one based on self interest, and thus not ethical at all, while the left wing ethic is based on the interests of people besides yourself, and therefore ethical. Ethics is all about rightness of behavior, or interaction with those around us. Therefore, if your "ethic" is based on self-interest, it is not ethical at all; it doesn't account for your impact on others. Republicans are children who never grew up. I'm definitely not perfect, but I at least consider the impact of invading countries before millions die.

I've long thought about the essential difference between right and left, and if you hadn't figured it out: I'm on the left. Everyone is somewhere, even social scientists and political commentators. What is usually omitted is where they stand. I think that's important. In fact, I might advocate for mandatory admission of your party (for reporters).

Let's look at the issues, one by one, so that we can judge, on the merits of each, their ethics, rather than generalizing as is so often done.

Economy

Probably the issue that seduces the most left-leaners into the right fold, the economic philosophy of republicans is that 1) taxes suck, 2) government is the enemy of business people, and thus all people. This forgets the fact that almost all Americans work for either business people (rather than BEING business people) or the government, and thus would benefit from someone to keep business in check (with such regulations as no rape, no murder, no slavery, no child workers, no 120 hour weeks, no etc).

Health Care

If people get sick and don't have insurance, whether it's their fault or not (which, according to republicans, it probably is), they should die because they don't have the money to pay for treatment. Republicans don't want to pay for anyone else's anything. The world is hard, but it's better if we all come together. Imagine yourself without your family. Claiming your $100 a year is all fine and good, but saving the lives of countless others? To republicans: worthless. Why? Self-interest. Childishness.

Social Issues

Republicans: Jews are okay, but gays should be imprisoned. Gay marriage is a laughable proposition, because gay anything is sinful. If I don't understand it, it should be illegal.

Republicans are all about helping oneself. Democrats are about people helping each other. Sure, most republicans have good intentions and actually believe they're helping others by condemning them. But that's not all. Some are racist and even those who think they're doing good are actually doing bad because they don't understand that other people are beautiful, just like themselves. Being different is beautiful, just like being the same is. What's ugly is condemning, hating, and/or persecuting people. Don't forget, the right wing is the wing of slavery, naziism, war, Jim Crow, etc. Don't want to be in this category? Join those who love others besides themselves, on the left. Care about people besides yourself.

International Issues

Republicans: I'm afraid. The world might invade us. Terrorists might attack us. War sucks, but I don't mind it. Let's spend more than half of our budget on military, so that we have no money for teachers, health care, or anything else. Let's lay off teachers so we can invade countries thousands of miles away for the purpose of upsetting millions of people and causing them to attack us more. But if we have space missles, we can shoot all the people who hate us because we blow them out of existence. Awesome! It's like that explosion I saw on TV!

Conclusion

Ethical behavior, as your Mama (should have) taught you, is about how to behave in the world by considering others besides yourself. The republican ethic of the self is childish and, in my view, morally wrong because is considers only the self and not that of others. Christianity is strangely identified with the republican party, which further discredits christianity (it didn't need any more). My angry words don't mean that I devalue any person. I love every person ever born; however, if I were to sit idly by and let them rape the world, I'd be a bad person. Therefore, republicans, rethink your selfish ways and try thinking about other people.

You should rethink this whole idiotic piece you wrote.. it reads like the rantings of some immature fuck stick who just took his first 100 level college Pyschology class.

What utter drivel.

Last edited:
Rather I'm saying that if youve got gobs of money, the whole of humanity should enjoy it, not just you. Why you? You think you deserve it more than others? Lol thlats ridiculous.

Most of the rich in the North East are Libs. Most of the rich in Hollywood are Libs.

If you want a handout, ask them for it.

Last edited:
All the time he took to write that.

and most, nearly all if complete and utter bullshit.

How many rights have liberals taken?

The right to bear arms
Free speech
trying to take privacy
trying to take the right too or not too buy a product
Freedom of religion

and you cry about ethics?

This should be great. A bullshit fight! Who can spread more bullshit in a single post.

Two Thumbs,

Do you really think that anyone with a brain believes that your right to bear arms and your freedom of speech have been taken from you? Your privacy? Your freedom of religion?

"Too bee orr nott too bee.......thatt iss thee questionn"

Do you think the right to bear arms just means guns?

if so, liberals have beaten you.

Ever heard of hate speech crimes?

obamacare is an invasion of privacy and tyranny, demanding that you buy a product

Obamacare will also force everyone, regardless of religion to comply.

Either You Believe in Individual Liberty, Inalienable Right, or You Don't. For me the Distinction begins there.

Lol, I understand getting angry. I do it too. But you have to admit that liberals are about ethics while conservatives are about self interest

I don't think you're right about your assumption. Humans are humans no matter if they're liberals or conservatives. Ethics, or lack there of, runs in both sides, self interest runs on both sides. I think you're just chasing down a rabbit trail.

Yep, or painting the wrong impression with the wrong brush. ;)

I think that's more on how you are brought up. There is a distinction between championing a cause or Principle, and tooting your own horn, too.

I was channel Surfing earlier, and hit on Pat Robertson, commenting on Santorum. That was the only reason I actually stopped to listen. Normally I do blow Him off. He actually, very eloquently made a hard point. I was impressed. It was definitely Sincere.

Still, I think the sentiment is right; the facts are besides the point. My point is logical rather than evidence-based. The point I'm trying to make is that the right wing ethic is one based on self interest, and thus not ethical at all, while the left wing ethic is based on the interests of people besides yourself, and therefore ethical.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."

My BFF is a liberal, at heart. She is cynical and pessimistic about anything I call success and the word I hear her use the most, is "FREE.' She loves anything free, whether she likes or needs it or not. She will drive for miles to acquire anything free. A flower in a bud vase, a beer, anything at all. But she will also "give" freely.

I won't go with her. I love everything else about her. She is a beautiful person, inside and out and our senses of humor are our bond. Plus she knows how to love.....

She has recently stepped it up to becoming an Independent. I don't trust that though....:eusa_pray: I think once you feel others owe you a living, you will always feel that way.

Rather I'm saying that if youve got gobs of money, the whole of humanity should enjoy it, not just you. Why you? You think you deserve it more than others? Lol thlats ridiculous.

It is obvious that you have no concept of, nor respect for Private Property Rights. Rich or Poor, It is a fundamental Right for Each to have a Right to Possess the Fruits of what They Earn by the work of their own Hands or Mind. It is an offense, it is theft to take from Anyone, what is theirs without their consent. It is an Abomination. Seek Help. You are seriously Fucked Up In The Head.

Actually, it's all in the brain structure. Individuals with a large amygdala are more sensitive to fear and are more inclined to intigrate conservative views into their belief system. They have a low tolerance for change. On the other hand, findings of an association between anterior cingulate cortex volume and political attitudes may be linked with tolerance to uncertainty and change - which may allow people to accept more liberal views.

Still, I think the sentiment is right; the facts are besides the point. My point is logical rather than evidence-based. The point I'm trying to make is that the right wing ethic is one based on self interest, and thus not ethical at all, while the left wing ethic is based on the interests of people besides yourself, and therefore ethical.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."

My BFF is a liberal, at heart. She is cynical and pessimistic about anything I call success and the word I hear her use the most, is "FREE.' She loves anything free, whether she likes or needs it or not. She will drive for miles to acquire anything free. A flower in a bud vase, a beer, anything at all. But she will also "give" freely.

I won't go with her. I love everything else about her. She is a beautiful person, inside and out and our senses of humor are our bond. Plus she knows how to love.....

She has recently stepped it up to becoming an Independent. I don't trust that though....:eusa_pray: I think once you feel others owe you a living, you will always feel that way.

I can Imagine how many Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars she will Piss Away with Universal Health Care.

I can Imagine how many Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars she will Piss Away with Universal Health Care.

She is frothing at the mouth over it's possible inception. She will buy deli, take trips, spend $$$$ on clothes, and on others, but she doesn't believe she should have to pay for her own doctor's visit....:cuckoo: She won't save, in order to do that. She won't give up her expensive lifestyle to pay her own way...:eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back