Esoteric Little Motorcycle Complaint

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Whilst trying to get gas at a local station yesterday, I was confounded and irritated to see that the pump would not pump fuel into my bike. I left without buying any.

Went to a second station and the same thing happened.

On closer examination I saw that the pump now has a pressure switch affixed to the nozzle, about 4" from the end. This is, I guess, a way of making sure that when a car is being filled up, the nozzle is completely inserted into the filler opening.

But my motorcycle is a cruiser, and the "floor" of the tank is less than three inches from the filler opening. So the only way I was able to pump gas was to manually hold the pressure switch with one hand, while depressing the lever with the other. And with the normal gasoline splashing characteristic, my hand smelled like gas for the rest of the day.

This is the first time I've encountered this type of nozzle, but I would not be surprised if all of them were converted over the next year or so.

Pain in the ass.

Whilst trying to get gas at a local station yesterday, I was confounded and irritated to see that the pump would not pump fuel into my bike. I left without buying any.

Went to a second station and the same thing happened.

On closer examination I saw that the pump now has a pressure switch affixed to the nozzle, about 4" from the end. This is, I guess, a way of making sure that when a car is being filled up, the nozzle is completely inserted into the filler opening.

But my motorcycle is a cruiser, and the "floor" of the tank is less than three inches from the filler opening. So the only way I was able to pump gas was to manually hold the pressure switch with one hand, while depressing the lever with the other. And with the normal gasoline splashing characteristic, my hand smelled like gas for the rest of the day.

This is the first time I've encountered this type of nozzle, but I would not be surprised if all of them were converted over the next year or so.

Pain in the ass.
/——/ Carry some latex gloves in your saddle bag. Use once and toss, or see if sanitizing gel will remove the smell. Maybe if you used a tongue depressor to hold that switch. Someone wasn’t considering everything when they designed it.

the only way I was able to pump gas was to manually hold the pressure switch with one hand

I hope you told the operators of the station! But they probably won't care much about a vehicle that only carries one gallon per fill up based on a technology which will be drummed from the Earth in 6-8 years from now at best! :smoke:

You shoulda bought an electric one.

giphy-2605947708.gif

My 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe holds a little over 4 gallons, so I always put a little less than 4 gallons when I fill up.

I would have no interest in an electric motorcycle. Range and sound.

I actually do carry a set of disposable gloves when riding my E-bike, because if I have to touch anything mechanical, they are all filthy. Drives me nuts.

My 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe holds a little over 4 gallons, so I always put a little less than 4 gallons when I fill up.
I would have no interest in an electric motorcycle. Range and sound.
I actually do carry a set of disposable gloves when riding my E-bike, because if I have to touch anything mechanical, they are all filthy. Drives me nuts.

Actually the real solution would be to simply fabricate a metal sleeve that approximates the throat of a car's gas tank filler neck that you can carry with you and simply slip over the gas pump hose, then your problem is solved. It would hold the trigger in place fooling the pump into operating. Someone will probably eventually recognize the need for these just as they used to make adapters to fit leaded gas fillers to unleaded tanks, sell these in car parts stores and make a profit from them as you are surely not the only person out there with this problem now.

Forum List

Back