Backward Oregon drivers don't want self-serve gas stations.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
Oregonians Collapse As Self-Serve Gas Station Law Takes Effect

The backward people of Oregon complain about self-serve gas stations.

The other day it was -3 in New Hampshire with a 17-mile-an-hour wind on the highway where a busy convenience store is located. I got out of my car and quickly zipped up my jacket while I cursed myself for not wearing gloves. My numb fingers fumbled to get my wallet and choose a credit card. I stood in the biting wind facing a gas pump with a small screen on its face that began barking advertisements for everything from winter gadgets to TV programs. I slid the credit card into a slot and then just as my eyes were starting to freeze shut I had to answer several questions about how I wanted to use the card by operating a touch screen with my now frostbitten fingers.

As my nose started turning blue I had to take an IQ test and remember the pin number that went with card I chose to use. At this point the biological phenomenon of shivering had begun to set in while the miracle of modern technology worked its magic telling me my card was approved. The ordeal was just beginning.

Now I had to choose which grade of fuel I wanted by aiming my blood-drained hand at one of the buttons and watching a light come on. At this worrying moment the pure white digits on the ends of my hands had become sausages and it was a struggle to get the little door open on the side of the car to get to the gas cap. In the extreme chill my wrists had lost the ability to swivel and I had to use two hands to unscrew it.

Now at long last I reached for the gas nozzle and with my last bit of strength, slid it into the car. I fantasized about the olden days while the gas was pumping. As I began to freeze like a statue I thought about the 1950’s in the passenger seat of my dad’s car.

He’d pull into a gas station and an attendant would come right out. The old man never asked for more than three-dollars-worth and the attendant would always ask if he wanted the oil checked. The old man never had to get out of the car to brave the wind.

Those people in Oregon are living in the past.

Idiots!

Last edited:
Ever been to New Jersey? They don't allow self service stations there either. Found that out when I was going to Newport RI and drove through there back in 1993. Stopped for gas, and because most of the stations in FL where I came from were self serve, I stepped out of the car and went for the pump. Some dude ran out of the station and told me that I couldn't pump my own gas, because it was against the state law.

And..................Oregon and New Jersey are the only 2 states left that have such a ban. New Jersey has had their ban in effect since 1949.

Why New Jersey Doesn't Let You Pump Your Own Gas

Lawmakers in New Jersey and Oregon are considering bills that would finally give drivers in those states the option to pump their own gas. But why was that practice banned in the first place?

Let’s start with the case in New Jersey. The Garden State’s ban on self-service gas stations, which are allowed in 48 states, began in 1949 when the New Jersey Legislature passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act. That law, enacted over concerns about the safety of consumers pumping petroleum themselves, was later followed by many other states. However, almost every state has since overturned their self-serve bans.

Some contend the New Jersey law was rooted in corruption, not safety concerns. There are also worries that young, inexperienced drivers run into trouble when visiting neighboring states and forced to pump their own gas for the first time (that was an issue for the author of this story when he drove in Pennsylvania as a teenager).

Ever been to New Jersey? They don't allow self service stations there either. Found that out when I was going to Newport RI and drove through there back in 1993. Stopped for gas, and because most of the stations in FL where I came from were self serve, I stepped out of the car and went for the pump. Some dude ran out of the station and told me that I couldn't pump my own gas, because it was against the state law.

And..................Oregon and New Jersey are the only 2 states left that have such a ban. New Jersey has had their ban in effect since 1949.

Why New Jersey Doesn't Let You Pump Your Own Gas

Lawmakers in New Jersey and Oregon are considering bills that would finally give drivers in those states the option to pump their own gas. But why was that practice banned in the first place?

Let’s start with the case in New Jersey. The Garden State’s ban on self-service gas stations, which are allowed in 48 states, began in 1949 when the New Jersey Legislature passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act. That law, enacted over concerns about the safety of consumers pumping petroleum themselves, was later followed by many other states. However, almost every state has since overturned their self-serve bans.

Some contend the New Jersey law was rooted in corruption, not safety concerns. There are also worries that young, inexperienced drivers run into trouble when visiting neighboring states and forced to pump their own gas for the first time (that was an issue for the author of this story when he drove in Pennsylvania as a teenager).
It's funny as all get out to watch a jersey driver try to pump gas in PA.

watched a lady bang the nozzle against the little gas door. I think she expected it to roll out and grab the nozzle.

I would pay extra, in bad weather, for full service, well, just to have someone else pump.

Here in Oregon, this new law only applies to low population areas. Most of the population still can't legally pump it themselves.
Oregon is also afraid of fireworks as well.

New Jersey is the only state that I've been in where it was required for the gas attendant to pump your gas.

When I traveled through Oregon, someone else was driving or I was riding a train.

Here in Oregon, this new law only applies to low population areas. Most of the population still can't legally pump it themselves.
Given the cost of the wildfires started with fireworks, damned right we are afraid of them. Should automatically seize all assets, and all future assets of those that start wildfires in that manner.

New Jersey is the only state that I've been in where it was required for the gas attendant to pump your gas.

When I traveled through Oregon, someone else was driving or I was riding a train.

New Jersey and Oregon have been the only two states for many years.
State Fire Marshall here, claims it's too dangerous for the peasants to pump their own.

Oregonians Collapse As Self-Serve Gas Station Law Takes Effect

The backward people of Oregon complain about self-serve gas stations.

The other day it was -3 in New Hampshire with a 17-mile-an-hour wind on the highway where a busy convenience store is located. I got out of my car and quickly zipped up my jacket while I cursed myself for not wearing gloves. My numb fingers fumbled to get my wallet and choose a credit card. I stood in the biting wind facing a gas pump with a small screen on its face that began barking advertisements for everything from winter gadgets to TV programs. I slid the credit card into a slot and then just as my eyes were starting to freeze shut I had to answer several questions about how I wanted to use the card by operating a touch screen with my now frostbitten fingers.

As my nose started turning blue I had to take an IQ test and remember the pin number that went with card I chose to use. At this point the biological phenomenon of shivering had begun to set in while the miracle of modern technology worked its magic telling me my card was approved. The ordeal was just beginning.

Now I had to choose which grade of fuel I wanted by aiming my blood-drained hand at one of the buttons and watching a light come on. At this worrying moment the pure white digits on the ends of my hands had become sausages and it was a struggle to get the little door open on the side of the car to get to the gas cap. In the extreme chill my wrists had lost the ability to swivel and I had to use two hands to unscrew it.

Now at long last I reached for the gas nozzle and with my last bit of strength, slid it into the car. I fantasized about the olden days while the gas was pumping. As I began to freeze like a statue I thought about the 1950’s in the passenger seat of my dad’s car.

He’d pull into a gas station and an attendant would come right out. The old man never asked for more than three-dollars-worth and the attendant would always ask if he wanted the oil checked. The old man never had to get out of the car to brave the wind.

Those people in Oregon are living in the past.

Idiots!
Wimp whining because he was not prepared for the forecast weather. LOL

Given the cost of the wildfires started with fireworks, damned right we are afraid of them. Should automatically seize all assets, and all future assets of those that start wildfires in that manner.

Are you in favor of going after the 15 year old that started the Multnomah Falls fire?

Sieg Heil!

It was always cool to sit in the car while the attendant pumped the gas, checked the oil, and then cleaned the windshield.

Why would anyone have a problem with that? That was standard practice because gas stations thought people would go somewhere else if they didn't get top notch service. Then self-serve stations started popping up and they figured out they could fire the entire staff except for a cashier while people did the work themselves.

Yeah, someone got screwed on that deal and it wasn't the oil companies or gas station owners. "Hi sir, I would like to do your job for you for free while you sit in a nice warm office waiting for me to push the money through a small slot in the window."

Gas station: "Knock yourself out".

(1) It increases the cost of gas at the pump, but

(2) it provides employment for retards.

All in all, let the states decide.

Sorry, did I say, "retards"? I meant to say, "...otherwise unemployable yoots..."

BTW, do any GIRLS/WOMEN pump gas in NJ? Just curious.

Sorry, did I say, "retards"? I meant to say, "...otherwise unemployable yoots..."

I'd be willing to bet there are some women who are gas station attendants, but unfortunately, I can't find any statistics on same.

Got chewed out by a Oregon state trooper for pumping my own gas while visiting the state...the more I asked her why I couldn't pump my own gas the more angry she got....but she never answered me...must of been a liberal...:badgrin:
Can any of you imagine someone getting so angry at Rambunctious?...:rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet there are some women who are gas station attendants, but unfortunately, I can't find any statistics on same.

They are definitely here in Oregon. Women pump me all the time.

Got chewed out by a Oregon state trooper for pumping my own gas while visiting the state...the more I asked her why I couldn't pump my own gas the more angry she got....but she never answered me...must of been a liberal...:badgrin:
Can any of you imagine someone getting so angry at Rambunctious?...:rolleyes:

She didn't answer, because she and everyone else here knows that with 48 other states allowing it, there simply is no logical reason to forbid it.

I agree, I'm fine with states making the call.

And retards do need jobs too.

They are definitely here in Oregon. Women pump me all the time.

:eusa_doh:

Forum List

Back